Ireland and Iceland in January/February

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Sky King, Apr 13, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Sky King
    Original Member

Sky King Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thinking of going to Ireland and Iceland in January/February of next year. My wife and 2 1/2 year old will be going as well. Thinking of flying US airways with an off-peak award so only 30k with the US card. Going into LON and out of DUB to avoid high taxes leaving London. Was thinking of taking an Easyjet flight from London Luton to Iceland as the new service is only $60 each way. Has anyone ever been to Ireland or Iceland in these months? Would like to avoid the tourists and things should be cheaper as well. Any thoughts? Ideas?

KathInJax likes this.
  2. I was in Ireland this past January and a year ago in February. The weather in Ireland at that time is wet wet and more wet. Temps are in 40's and 50's but can get cold enough for snow at times. Other than that it is a wonderful magical Island with very friendly people and hotel rates then will be much lower than summer. There is lots to see in that Country.

3. KathInJax

KathInJax Silver Member

Status Points:
    I went to Iceland in January, 2006. The temps were mild, but we had overcast days. I remember the sun coming up late, so be prepared to go out in the dark. The prices for food were very high - but this was before Iceland crashed, so it might be more reasonable now.

There were not a lot of tourists at that time. We didn't rent a car, so we used a tour bus to take us out of Reykjavik. I think that if had gone by ourselves, we would not have run into anyone else.

We loved Thingvelliir National Park - being able to stand in the rift where the North American and Eurasian Teutonic plates are dividing was amazing. We were not able to see the Aurora Borealis as it was overcast the days the we were there.

4. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm regularly in Ireland in January and February. I did have it snow one year in Dublin, and another year the roads to the airport were covered in ice causing all sorts of problems, so I would recommend you do your last night there closer to the airport if weather might be a factor. I won't stay in the city my last night any longer during winter months to avoid the risk. Two good options that tend to price decently are a Holiday Inn Express and Crowne Plaza right next to each other (they use the same bus that departs from CP).

at St Stephen's Green after a snow storm
    [​IMG]

The hotel I use in the winter in the city is the Maldron Hotel Parnell Square which does have excellent winter rates. It also comes up on the hotel list if you want to redeem AA miles for it. It is a 5 minute walk to the GPO and another 10 minutes to Temple Bar, so depending how much you like walking may/may not be convenient. They have free wi-fi and some rates include a hot breakfast in their restaurant. The other hotel I've used, and their rates vary, is Jury's Inn Custom House along the River Liffey and a 10 min walk to the O'Connell Street.

I've done bus/ferry and rail/ferry a couple times over the year from London to Dublin. The price for the rail/ferry package just went up to 38 pounds (around $60). Food is about twice the normal price on the ferry but you can always bring something along. I last traveled on a Sunday and everything in Holyhead, Wales, where you connect, was closed, so was a ferry captive for food. Photos on the ferry portion start HERE.

A good place to read about the rail and ferry tickets is on the Seat 61 website. I would not take the late fast ferry as there are no other options out that day if you miss it or it's cancelled due to rough seas. I prefer the slower, larger ferry with plenty of comfortable seats and tables on board.

Ferry at Holyhead:
    [​IMG]

KathInJax and desamo like this.
  5. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Be very careful. Does that include baggage fees? Some of the low cost European carriers offer attractive fares but make a killing on baggage. Make sure you read the fine print about baggage if you go that route.

TAHKUCT and desamo like this.