Ireland Airports

Discussion in 'Airports' started by sfo1, Jun 9, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Flying from the U.S. which of the three airports in Ireland, Belfast, Dublin, or Shannon is the easiest and the best?

uggboy likes this.
  2. Where are you going in Ireland?

uggboy likes this.
  3. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:

I will going to all three cities which I mentioned above so it is not important where I land or depart from, I want to choose the easiest and best airport of the three if that is possible.

uggboy likes this.
  4. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Shannon is not much of a city-- more like a stop in the road a couple miles from Limerick or Sixmilebridge. It certainly won't have the volume of activity that you would see at Dublin. A lot depends on your method of leaving the airport. Dublin offers a lot more bus connections than Shannon does, including service to Belfast or Galway. Shannon has a bus stop outside with a lot less service. I've always come into Belfast by ferry or bus so don't know what you'll run across there.

I'd fly into one and home from another. I did that back in the days when AA served both Dublin and Shannon.

sfo1, uggboy and sobore like this.
  5. If you are doing the whole country I would suggest landing in Belfast and leaving via Shannon assuming your ailrine lands at both. That could save you some doubling back. But as noted Dublin is the major airport in all of Ireland, north and south.

sfo1, uggboy and sobore like this.
  6. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Dublin is a world class airport with bus connections to all over Ireland. Enjoy.

sobore and sfo1 like this.
  7. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:

Yes, that is sort of what I had planned to do, don't know if I will go North to South or South to North, just thought if there was one airport that was better, easier to get through, then the rest then I would go and return from that one. By the way is there not an airport in Ireland where one clears US Customs prior to departure, have GE, or is that another country over there?

8. If there is one its Dublin. I'm Canadian so don't have that privilege. ;)

sfo1 likes this.
  9. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just did a google search and it seems Dublin and Shannon for GE. That makes my decision much easier to make.