iPhoneTrip SIM/phone rental

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by viguera, Sep 18, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    A pretty exhaustive review of iPhoneTrip from engadget.

They cover the service, SIM (and phone) rental prices, included data plans and limitations, regions covered, etc.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/18/...w-best-staying-connected-overseas-smartphone/

Overall, it doesn't look like a bad idea for the price if you want to have them just send you a SIM that you can pop into your own phone and not have to worry about roaming charges.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very interesting, thanks! I currently have unlimited international data roaming via my corporate plan, but once I drop off that plan, something like this would be quite useful.

3. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Or you could just forget about all the logistics as as Verizon now offers roaming for 25 dollars per 100 meg data. I used 140 megs on my last trip overseas, it lasted over 2 weeks. The cost was 50 dollars.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You are clearly not an Engadget power user. 140 megs in two weeks? They seem to think 100 meg per day isn't enough. Certainly it would be for me.

You're absolutely right, though. There are certainly scenarios where KISS is not only easier, but also cheaper.

5. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    I had to look at my phone and bill to check what I actually use.

On my last trip I was working one week, on vaca the next. Sitting in a conference room with wifi all day the first week helps, being on vacation the next helps as well, but I'd check email, read news, read milepoint and use the navigation daily without any limitation and I used less than 10 megs a day.

It's limited how much data you can use with 3G, I've got real problems imagining what you'd use 100 meg a day for or if it's even possible. Streaming is the biggest usage hog by far and it doesn't work well overseas on 3G, so that's out.

My last billing cycle, I didn't roam at all and I had the following usage: 204 megs on the iPhone, 811 megs on the iPad LTE, which includes extensive baseball streaming on the iPad.

viguera likes this.
  6. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think that's the key though... I use WiFi at home and at work, so my data usage is relatively moderate (around 2GB a month) when I'm not traveling. If I didn't use WiFi at work -- or was on my phone all day using the Milepoint app :) or went back to Netflix -- my usage would probably skyrocket.

I think 30-40MB a day with moderate use is perfectly normal for a power user, as long as all you're doing is email and browsing. On the other hand, I know people that swear by the music/video streaming stuff and they're into the double digits in terms of GB used per month.

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I am streaming radio from NPR or overseas stations fairly regularly while working out. I've used (according to iOS Usage counter) 3.9 GB since I got the iPhone 4s ten months ago. (perhaps a sign that I need to work out more)

I also (obviously) use it for email, light browsing when I am not near an iPad or laptop, occasional Facebook-ing, maps (but not navigation; I have offline nav app for that), etc. I don't use it for watching streaming video other than the occasional Youtube clip. Never Netflix. Rarely MilePoint.

tommy777 likes this.
  8. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    I think this is accurate if you have a 4G device, I can't get iPhone to stream well with 3G, but the iPad LTE works great. Video streaming with 3G, especially overseas, just doesn't work. Many services (like Netflix) is also blocked out overseas. People's phone habits overseas is definitely different to home usage.
    If you're on vacation, bopping around, I don't think the average user will be listening to Pandora while walking through the fishmarket in Tokyo ;). Sure, you'll see users stream movies at their hotel room, but everyone on this forum gets free hotel wifi and it tends to be a lot better overseas than here in the US ;)

If you use 300 meg on a trip, that's 75 bucks and A LOT cheaper than what was offered before.

viguera and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  9. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    T-mobile offers 500 megs for $50/month, for those that are not on Verizon.

tommy777 likes this.