iPhones coming to the cabin

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Wandering Aramean, Dec 10, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
  2. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Normally I would applaud forward-thinking approaches like this - 6+ is a good device, and buying it for thousands of FAs is no small thing.

My only hesitation here is that, well, these things are fragile. The card readers I've seen are much sturdier than an iPhone.

mht_flyer likes this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Sure, but these are more than just card readers.

And UA isn't the only carrier going down this path. I think there have been enough trials and deployments, even in the airline industry, to show that the devices can mostly survive.

mht_flyer, iolaire and ssullivan like this.
  5. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe they'll do what DL did with the Windows Phone devices their FAs are carrying for the same purpose - put them in an Otter Box style case.

6. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Didn't UA just distribute huge new binders of ops details to its FAs. Seem quite a few of them being read on my last couple of flights this week, along with new brochures of flight announcements. Just with UA would tell its gate agents that there are no more Presidential elites! At least three boarding announcements included these old CO statuses along with the UA ones.

7. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
  8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Maybe, but they have to update those things all the time. And the iPhone program isn't starting until Q2 '15. But distributing that stuff digitally will save a ton of cash, weight and paper.
    Maybe. Unclear what GDS systems it integrates with or what airlines are really going to go for it (the press release says Air Canada is involved).

iolaire likes this.