iPhone5 Rumors

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by Captain Oveur, Feb 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Has anyone heard from a reliable source/blog on whether iPhone5 will be for both AT&T and Verizon?

Wall Street Journal, who was pretty spot-on for the past several months leading up to iPhone4 for Verizon, doesn't seem to have anything on it.

2. stimpy
    Original Member

stimpy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm pretty sure the next rev will support GSM and CDMA in all world frequencies, so it will be for AT&T, Verizon, Orange UK, Orange France, Telecom Italia, KPN, Telefonica Espana, China Mobile, ... and hundreds of others.

flying-gal and essxjay like this.
  3. essxjay
    Original Member

essxjay Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, stimpy, you may have just saved me several hundred dineros. Now, any rumor on the next rev's arrival?

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you think it will be one device that supports both GSM and CDMA, or two versions (as with the iPhone 4)?

I would think that Verizon would like the iPhone to be a worldphone, i.e., let its customers use it (at highly inflated rates) abroad using a Verizon/Vodafon SIM card). I would pay extra for a combination GSM/CDMA phone if the GSM part was unlocked out of the box.

5. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    A lot of people have been saying (guessing) June or July, as that is when, historically, new iPhones have been released. Announcements about them usually happened around the last week of January, but I think Verizon's new phone and/or Jobs' leave affected that this year.

There's also the iPad2 angle, where a lot of people think that will come out April or May. Apple does pretty well in sending one clear message. And hyping two products at the same time might not work for Apple. But then again, a simultaneous release of iPad2 and iPhone5 would be good. Personally, I think a bundled package for those things would be smart, but I don't wear the black mock turtleneck.

But again, a lot of people wonder how these announcements will be made given Jobs' medical leave.

6. essxjay
    Original Member

essxjay Silver Member

Status Points:
    Many thanks. I think I can keep my mitts off my wallet for a few more months then.

Capitol idea. The bundle, I mean. <w>

7. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That's what I'm doing. At least, I'm waiting to spend the company's money for the new phone.

Doubt it will ever happen, as they know people will buy it as-is with the individual plan. Merely a pipe dream.

8. essxjay
    Original Member

essxjay Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's how I took your suggestion. I still like the idea. :–)

Cholula likes this.
  9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I think Apple's product announcements tend to happen much closer to the actual availability date.

iPhone 4 was announced June 7, 2010 with a launch date on AT&T on June 24 (http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/07/iphone-4-announced/).

iPhone 3GS was announced June 8, 2009 with a launch date on AT&T on June 19 (http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2009/06/08iphone.html).

The iPad was a bit different -- it was announced end of January 2010 with an expected availability in 60-90 days (and it launched beginning of April, I believe).

10. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    I also wonder if the iphone5 will be a dual chip device, supporting both GSM and CDMA - making it a true world phone.

11. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Many carriers are using LTE for the next evolution - Verizon's 4G is LTE, AT&T is deploying LTE later this year. T-MobileUSA will eventually go LTE, probably around 2014 or 2015 (They're dropping cash into their HSPA network currently). Odds are the next iPhone that works on Verizon will be LTE capable. While LTE isn't highly deployed globally it's growing. LTE devices are global capable if the frequencies are there. The competition is WiMax which is what Sprint uses and it's deployed globally but their roaming agreements are basically worthless at present.

Remember that Verizon just dropkicked the $65 global data plan - it's gone. It's now $100 for 70MB of data in Europe or the Caribbean. $20.48/MB over that, or anywhere else in the world. They do have a North America option but it's similarly expensive and limited.

So until world roaming becomes somewhat reasonable (even to businesses, I seriously doubt any wish to pay $20.48/MB - that's just ridiculous), whether it's globally capable or not is now a moot point.

12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well, I suspect some Verizon users would be happy if they could keep using their iPhone abroad with a prepaid SIM card. That's why Verizon and Sprint have sold so-called WorldPhones... since their CDMA-only phones aren't going to work in many other countries.

But yes, data roaming rates are going the wrong way, and if I lose my company's international data roaming plan, I need to seriously start looking at prepaid options.

13. ScottC
    Original Member

ScottC Silver Member

Status Points:
    I really don't think we'll see a dual-mode CDMA/GSM phone. It isn't like Apple to come up with something the market actually needs. My guess is that the iPhone 5 will actually be an iPhone 4 V2. It'll have a better camera, new carbon fiber back and faster dual core CPU. There are not enough new developments in the market to justify an iPhone 5.

Verizon will be stuck with their iPhone 4 until Jan or Feb 2012 - Apple won't make the new CDMA iPhone EOL this quickly.

Gaucho and Always Be Flying like this.
  14. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I have a BlackBerry Storm 2 (shut up), and out of contract with Verizon. One of the main things I really liked about the Storm 2 is that it's a world phone. Er, at least was until Verizon turfed the global data plan (for all intents and purposes).

Not sure I love any of the Android phones that are out, or coming out. I was holding out for world phone capability, but there's no sense in that.

I'm trying to figure out if I should just go ahead and get the iPhone 4 with Verizon now and just roll the dice in the future with 5. I know, I could wait an eternity for upgrades, etc.

essxjay likes this.
  15. mrpickles
    Original Member

mrpickles Silver Member

Status Points:
    Typically Verizons dual mode phones do not have the USA GSM frequencies, just the worlds GSM frequencies to use where CDMA is not available.

16. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Which is fine, because you'd most likely be locked into a 2 year Verizon contract anyway.

But I suspect the GSM part would be locked to Verzon-supplied SIMs, right?

17. mjm

mjm

I thik if the move from iPhone4 to iPhone5 is as incremenatl as the one from 3DS too 4 I will sit tight. 3GS orks reallywell as it is.

18. mjm

mjm

What do you all think of the roaming cost of 1500yen per day for Japanese iPhone users travelling to the US etc.? I am a bit torn on it.

19. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I heard the I-phone 5 may be out this summer in both AT&T and Verizon versions, with Verizon being LTE...but I could be wrong.

I also have a Storm 2, and I can't wait to replace it. It is only marginally more stable than the original Storm which seemed to reset itself if you just looked at it...plus BB came out with a new OS which doesn't support touch screens, and I have heard that the Storm 2 is already discontinued.....

20. Interesting info. I'm holding out for 5, and I hope it's not too far away as I don't think my 3 will last much longer. The dual GSM/CDMA doesn't mean much to me, unless I can get a cheap prepaid SIM with data in the US with it. That would be an advance.

21. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Only difference in Storm 2 is how there's a little more memory on it. I forget the exact numbers, as it has been awhile since I looked them up, but it has been of marginal help. Frequently doing the *228 thing does help though. I know that VZW tech support folks can see when you do those.

I'm actually leaning towards getting the iPhone4, mostly because of what ArizonaGuy mentioned about Verizon's gouging updating of its international rates.

The cons of not doing it is wanting to get the latest software (I know...), but also to wait and see if iPhone cripples VZW's system. I don't think it will, but buying the BB Storm out of the gate taught me an important lesson in buying stuff the moment they come out (VZW eventually replaced one of my original Storms with a Storm 2).

22. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I was very dismayed at the change in the international roaming rates, but what can you do? It is in fact gouging in my opinion...ESPECIALLY in areas served by Vodafone, which is essentially Verizon's partner.

I might wait for a phone with true 4G data capability..which may or may not be I Phone 5.

23. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Partner? More than that they own 45% of Verizon Wireless (the other 55% are apparently owned by Verizon... which is a separate entity from VZ Wireless).

24. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I was being kind....

25. joesmoe
    Original Member

joesmoe Gold Member

Status Points:
    I love the Apps on iphone's, at home I use a BB, but when traveling I used an iPhone last time, and a few of the Apps (they were free too) were priceless.

i tried the evo4g for a while, but it was no comparison, especially app wise.