IPhone Apps to IPad - some questions

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by Gaucho, May 22, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    OK.... so I thought that all the Apps that you purchased on the Iphone would be available for use with another Apple device like an IPad. I just got a new IPad Air and even though I signed in with the same Apple ID, I don't seem to be getting all the same Apps I have on my phone....

Is this normal or am I doing something wrong...?

Thanks,
    Alex

jbcarioca and Tenmoc like this.
  2. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Some iPhone apps specifically won't work on an iPad but you should see most. If you go to the App Store on your new device and navigate to "Upgrades" you should see a "Purchased" option at the top that will take you to a screen to re-download apps you already purchased.

3. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely normal, you're doing nothing wrong. Some app developers do not want their apps run on an iPad, even in "hey, let's blow it up big mode".

jbcarioca, Tenmoc and Gaucho like this.
  4. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the answers. Also, I need to look up the answers to my Apple ID security questions.... is there a way for me to do this...? Or do I have to reset my Apple ID altogether if I cant remember the answers...?

Thanks.

jbcarioca and Tenmoc like this.
  5. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to the wonderful world of apple.

jbcarioca and Gaucho like this.
  6. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    No idea on that one. Sorry.

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. dstober

dstober Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here's how to deal with the security questions: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6170?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

8. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah... well here's another one for you.... Ive decided to jump ship entirely and drop WinTel as my laptop... after over 10 years in bed with IBM ThinkPads, I will trash my current Lenovo W520 once Apple releases its new series of MacBook Pro machines......

:eek:

Pizzaman, Tenmoc and jbcarioca like this.
  9. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depending on your needs you might want to look at the MacBookAir as well. It's thinner, lighter and also cheaper. I switched about three years ago and am on my second MacBookAir now. FWIW, any legacy Win applications can be dealt with with an Apple solution, Parallels or another such solution which will permit you to run Windows on your Mac. After trying several such options including both VMWare Fusion and Parallels I've landed on Parallels which allows the Mac and Win applications to coexist with shared files and everything else while seeming pretty much transparent. It's a slight hassle to set up and you do need to buy not only Parallels but also a copy of Windows and , of course Anti Virus, which almost nobody uses with native Mac. I do it because some of the Brazilian government sites I must access require Windows and IE for access, as do all Brazilian Digital Signature vendors IIRC. Silly, but that is life.

Pizzaman, iolaire, Gaucho and 2 others like this.
  10. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's ok. I'm looking at a mac of some sort too. I need osx to run on something.

But what I don't understand is the pure love and do no wrong of apple fans, like the owner of this site where he tells Wendy Perrin that apple wouldn't need a loyalty program if they ran an airline.

jbcarioca, Gaucho and dstober like this.
  11. dstober

dstober Gold Member

Status Points:
    I made the jump a couple of years ago after many, many years as a PC person jumping between Dell, IBM, and one unfortunate Gateway. As a frequent traveler for biz, I really, really love how thin and light my MacBook Air is. And how once I open it, it's on. Just immediately on. :cool: I also love that my devices all sync across each other from phone to computer to iPad.
    I also agree with Tenmoc that some apple fans take it to fanaticism and a lack of any sort of skepticism. Ick.
    Good luck as you make your choices, Gaucho!

jbcarioca, Gaucho and Tenmoc like this.
  12. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks JC.... yes, I was concerned about all my legacy files and data. As far as the Parallel solution you mention.... Im not sure I need that but I still need to check. Argentina is similar to Brazil in that its one of the few markets where IE still has a very relevant market share... I think that some of my banking sites and also the local Tax Authority require IE for various of its applications..... my question would be, if you dont opt for a parallel solution, is there another way to "emulate" Internet Explorer on a MAC so that one can still use the few things that insist on IE without having an outright windows cloned system on your brand new Mac...???

I guess the new series of MacBooks Pros are still in the pipeline, so I guess I have a few months until I have to start my transition....

dstober, jbcarioca and Tenmoc like this.
  13. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here is the guide you need: http://store.apple.com/us/browse/guide/windows

The major difference between Boot Camp (the native Apple solution I mentioned above) and VMWare or Parallels (the major virtualization options) is that:
    1) with Boot Camp you shut down Mac OS and start Windows. The two are entirely separate and mutually exclusive including files. thus you in effect have two computers operating on the same hardware. You must have a copy of Windows for original install (i.e. OEM) not upgrade but need nothing else.
    2) With either virtualisation option your computer will run Windows as an application within the virtualisation application. Thus you can share files and access simply be showing your desired applications in your Apple Dock. There are a few tricks to make it better but this is not too difficult.

Finally, for those of us who travel and buy in one country and use in another there are major advantages with Apple that do not apply to most manufacturers. The principal one is that Apple Care (extended warranty) and the stand warranty both apply globally regardless of where you need help. Any authorised Apple repair station globally has access to full records and services with no hassle at all. I have tested this, to my chagrin, four times. 1) in Russia I made a silly mistake and messed up an application (a Windows one as it happens), and the Apple help line helped me correct my error quickly and well despite the access in Russia in English and without an Apple supported application in question; 2) A screen on a MacBook Pro failed in Brazil a few years ago. The Apple Authorized Repair shop repaired it in two days with no issue at all. 3) a new Mac Mini that I bought a few months ago had a logic board failure with was repaired quickly by the same Brazil Apple Authorized station. All three of these machines were bought in the US. 4) An iPhone 5 that I bought in Holland was reacting very slowly while I was in Singapore. The Singapore Apple Store solved the issue in about 30 minutes while I waited in the store.

I agree with both of these rational people. Apple is a business, and Apple customers pay a premium for the products. There is zero question about that. For me, with a houseful of Apple products, ease of system integration, reliability and excellent warranty and customer service are why I am willing to do that. The worldwide warranty and extended warranty are why I do this.

Prior to Apple I have had IMB/Lenovo that I had to discard because they denied even paid repairs in Brazil because I bought them in the US, and sadly each of those products failed within three years time. The same was true for Samsung (three monitors) which refused to even examine the defects in Brazil, so I had to junk three monitors. Luckily I have had few problems with Apple products but when I have had they've had excellent service. So, I remain a sceptical posture and look at options, but normally end out buying Apples. An added benefit is that the resale market is very good, especially in Brazil, so my actual costs are much lower and I sometimes even resell at a profit (iPhone 4 and iPhone 5 both did that, even though I gave them to relatives who later resold them for more than I had originally paid).

Tenmoc, Gaucho, dstober and 1 other person like this.
  14. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I'm a big fan of Apple products. One might even call me a fanatic, though I think I fall short of that mark.

For me, Apple products aren't perfect. But, they have far less glitches than the Windows and Android equivalents I've tried. Even less than my beloved Blackberry.

They're not perfect but from a reliability standpoint I consider them best of breed.

Betty Boop, Tenmoc, Gaucho and 3 others like this.
  15. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Question for you.

I'm debating what to do as far as a mac computer. I haven't paid over 1000 for a laptop in a very long time. I remember paying 3000 every 3-4 years, but those days are gone for me. Will a mac laptop still do video editing in 5 years? The specs already look low to me on what is available.

Thanks @Gaucho for allowing me this slight hijack of your thread.

Gaucho and jbcarioca like this.
  16. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I can't specifically speak to video editing but my marketing director used the same MBP for 4 years before leaving the company. She did a lot of high end graphics stuff. No idea if the new MBPs are the same, but they allowed users to upgrade memory themselves after the fact. Airs do not allow this.

Tenmoc and jbcarioca like this.
  17. Betty Boop

Betty Boop Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have been running parallels on my mac for years and am quite happy with the flexibility. I have clients who use outlook etc and then set up a separate place on parallels for each of those clients. And I can save those files on my make side as there is complete sharing. I have the same Mac book Pro since early 2009 and it runs beautifully. I travel 2-3 times a month and it is in and out of my briefcase constantly.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

18. Betty Boop

Betty Boop Gold Member

Status Points:
    In full disclosure I may be one of those fanatics. I do have or try to have a bit of skepticism and be a little objective. But am usually not too successful. Oh well.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

19. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    An associate of mine is still using a five year old MacBookPro for professional film editing. She has upgraded memory but nothing else. Her experiences actually were the impetus for me to switch from Windows to Apple myself. I do not do any such demanding graphics but I do some hard core statistics and my MacBookAir does an excellent job. I did move to a new one less than a year ago which was noticeably faster. My guess is that my friend is past due on an upgrade even though I find it impressive that she's managed thus far. Apple specs usually look less speedy than do Windows, but reality IME tends to favour Mac for heavy graphics and analytics and a wash on word processing and static presentations.

Tenmoc likes this.
  20. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am a major fan of virtualisation, with a bias towards Parallels myself. I run four different OS to provide for complete separation between some highly sensitive data/information. Being able to boot up and close a separate OS with it's own partition is a very effective way of doing that, as you say. Another good thing for some of us is the ability to run Ubuntu or special versions of any given software to meet particular needs. For heavy statics, in particular, I find real benefit from using a stripped down OS so I have minimal overhead. In addition, since those activities do not require internet access I can eliminate much more overhead. The only issue is finding the correct application to do your needed tasks. I've plenty of nerds around to help me do that, luckily.

Betty Boop and Tenmoc like this.
  21. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for all the replies.

I think at this point I'm going to really piggyback Gaucho's comment about having some time until the new MBPs come out. Just wish I could find a way to use the i7 3770 with 16gb ram i have in a desktop without buying a full on new computer.

22. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    One more note. We have multiple MBPs that are 7 years old or more (the old square batteries for those keeping count).

Betty Boop, Gaucho and Tenmoc like this.
  23. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Still running well after 7 years...???

Tenmoc likes this.
  24. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    On the issue of the old looking specs, apparently the Mac Book Pro's are near the end of their current model cycle... so perhaps its a good idea to wait another 3/4 months and look at the new specs of the new models that will be coming on the market. Im with you on the $3000 every 3-4 years, that was my cycle until now... if I jump ship to Mac in the next 3/4 months I would be willing to drop up to $4000 but only for a machine that will take care of me for the ext 4-5 years at least.

Tenmoc likes this.
  25. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Yup. The only issue we have is the square batteries have all largely died and are a bit pricey to replace.

Tenmoc likes this.