Iphone Apps - multiple device questions

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by Gaucho, Aug 15, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    OK... so I got back my old Iphone 4 after it took a trip to the US to get refurbished. I have since put another Iphone in operation, having of course migrated my Apple ID along with all my paid applications over to this new device (an Iphone 5).

So then... I want to get this Iphone 4 back in normal operation with another SIM card and another Apple ID. My question is... for all the paid applications that I have purchased, can I install these apps on more than one Iphone or are the App Store licenses valid for only 1 device...?

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. freebird

freebird Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can install purchased apps on multiple IOS devices. You can go to settings and logout of your newly created Apple ID and login with the other Apple ID you used to purchase apps and download all the apps to your iPhone 4. Go to settings>iTunes & App Store>tap Apple ID bar on the right side of the screen. A Pop-up menu with logout option, Logout and login with your other Apple account.

Gaucho and jbcarioca like this.
  3. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    But the apps will only work when logged in with the Apple ID you used to purchase them.

4. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Correct, and they generally don't allow you to re-download music purchases, but you can e-mail them to explain the issue you had with your device and hear likely to make an exception.

jbcarioca and Gaucho like this.
  5. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I use one apple store ID for all iDevices in my household for that reason. It likely helps that the second user doesn't want her own genus results and such...

jbcarioca and Gaucho like this.
  6. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ok... so where do I email them...? Very sorry for the stupid question but Im quite tech challenged... does it make a difference that my Apple ID is a non US account...?

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ah... well this may be a solution, but, doesn't Apple realize that you are using more than one device... and does it matter if you have 2 Iphones using the same Apple ID account...???

8. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Further thought.... if I were to use this "solution", since I would want to do this with 2 IPhones, Im worried that I will run into issues of contact management, since each phone has a different set of contacts, wont there be issues with contacts, calendars and other phone specific data when there comes a time to backup to a computer and/or the Cloud....????

9. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I backup to the computer, but you can use different accounts for each of store, iCloud, and GameCenter.
    Apple wants you to have lots of devices; ideally you will have at least one phone, iPad, iPod touch and computer... Around the workplace many people carry multiple iPhones paid by different sources.

Gaucho likes this.
  10. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can use apps on multiple devices even if there is more than one iPhone. That's specifically allowed -- nothing sneaky about it. The catch is each iPhone needs to use the same Apple ID.

Yes, that will cause issues if you want each phone to have its own contacts/calendars/e-mail. You can decide not to sync the phones via desktop or iCloud to get around it, but then you lose the advantages of syncing. Or you can use two different computers and assign a phone to each one. That still doesn't get around the iCloud sync problem but guess it means one of the phones does sync contacts/calendars to iCloud.

Re music purchases: I don't know of any restrictions re-downloading music. In fact you can even choose to keep all your music in the cloud and download it as needed. (In some countries at least.) But is there really a need to download it again> If you have it on one of your computers you can just transfer it to the iPhone. There are also desktop apps which let you transfer music from iPhone to desktop and back to (perhaps a different) iPhone.

Gaucho likes this.
  11. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    It's possible the restriction to re-downloading music went away. As to multiple contact sets, I know you can use Exchange to sync contacts on an iPhone that are different from what might be loaded on another device with your Apple ID that just uses the native contacts on the device and does NOT use the same Exchange account.

12. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    That does not matter. I have three Apple accounts in order to download applications taht are available in only a specified country (e.g. lots of financial apps, some local transportation apps and a handful of governmental ones too) so I have US, Brazil, France. The only problem is taht you must log into the original account used to download the app in order to update them. I update three iPads and two iPhones using the same three Apple IDs and have had no problems.

There are some copy/view restrictions that do apply so some things you get from, say, the US store will not be accessible in Argentina. Almost all the restrictions I encounter are between the Us and Brazil. The easy solution for that, although a trifle cumbersome is to log in using wifi and a VPN in the country you need. I must do that for Amazon Prime Video, netflix etc, so it is not so much a problem with the iPhone and Apple, with the exception of the aformentioned apps.

Gaucho and iolaire like this.
  13. freebird

freebird Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not true. My wife and I share same apps on 2 iPads and 3 iPhones.

14. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes and no. You can't update or install them without signing on with the account used to purchase them but as far as I know once they are installed they can be used unless they use iCloud services.

15. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:

The re-download problem is solved with iTunes Match, fwiw. Not just for songs, but also books, TV episodes, and movies.

16. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some, but not all, of my apps do work even using iCloud services even when signed in to an account not the same as the one used to purchase the app. App updates never work without using the apple I'd used to buy them IME, unless the app is also available through the apple I'd to which I am signed on. I suspect YMMV, but I do not know for certain about that. The iCloud issue, I suspect, depends on the app-specific security settings.

These issues are a bit arcane, affecting only people who do actively use apps from multiple countries Apple stores that are not offered worldwide. I asked several Genius Bar staffers. The only one who ever understood and explained all thus clearly and simply was in the Apple store in Cap 3000 near Nice, France. There, the Genius not only resolved my immediate French app issue, with Credit Agricole, but also explained precisely how to deal with the Brazil & US issues. BTW, for each country for which you want an Apple ID you need, IME, a local address and a locally issued credit or debit card. I am confident that YMMV on that too, depending on the country, among other things.

Gaucho likes this.
  17. OceanBreezes

OceanBreezes Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is there a specific App you would recommend for the cloud other than iTunes for sharing? I have an old iPod that I loaded music CDs on that I am having trouble getting back in to my iTunes library....computer with the iTunes backup in long gone. Any suggestions appreciated.

Any recommendations on favorite Apps to watch movies in flight?

18. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:

sure, you can have many devices using the same apple id at the same time.

You have to be careful with the iMessage settings on each device, read this ...

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4369317?start=0&tstart=0

Basically you want each device to send/receive from their own number only. If possible use their own apple id for iMessage, but I've never tried that.

ETA: If you're going to use icloud and you want different contacts, different settings, etc, you will definitely want to use different apple IDs. Same apple id with icloud backup works well for one person, not two people with different address books, settings etc, unless you are judicious about not backing those things up using iCloud.

-David

Gaucho, OceanBreezes and jbcarioca like this.
  19. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree with your comments. I have tried multiple iPhone synch with different users. The email part is fairly easy by keeping each phone sync he'd individually to the ISP, but anything in iCloud or other cloud backup, so far as I can find, will only work by separating accounts unless you want each device to hold everything for each user. If that is your intent, no problem. Otherwise, multiple ID is the only solution of which I know.

Gaucho, OceanBreezes and LIH Prem like this.