iPhone 6 Versus Others!

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by Kalboz, Sep 11, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
  2. afakhori

afakhori Silver Member

Status Points:
    too bad they didnt include the Galaxy Note Edge in there, and the 5s to see how it stacks up. A lot of people who dont need a larger phone or NFC will probably stick with their current gen. Even habitual upgraders (like myself). That being said, Apple will still sell Billions of them!

jbcarioca and Kalboz like this.
  3. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Yeah, I don't think I'll upgrade my 5S to a 6. I might consider the 6 plus, but I don't think the 6 is enough of a difference for me to adopt.

jbcarioca, gaijin62 and Kalboz like this.
  4. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't know why they say RAM on the iPhones are N/A. They are 1GB. Battery capacity is unofficially reported as 1.810 and 2.915Ah for the 6 and 6+ but, of course, capacity alone doesn't mean anything without knowing how power-hungry the rest of the phone is.

5. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well I am on the 3GS so definitely time for the 6

(Posted from my milepoint enabled iPhone)

6. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just ordered a 6 Plus. I don't know what i'll do with my 5S. The reasons I did it are: 1) the new health app and the vertical height counters ++ counters, 2) the auto-focus system. I love it in my Canon 6D, and think it is a vast improvement over just more pixels, 3) automatic wifi/cellular switching- maybe that is #1

Kalboz likes this.
  7. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    My Galaxy S3, a two year old model, has that, and higher resolution than the i6. Seems to me Apples playing catchup.

Kalboz, jbcarioca and gaijin62 like this.
  8. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    Been running on a 5. Only complaint so far is the battery life since I've been using it for so long.

Going to get a battery replacement tomorrow at the Apple Store for $75 instead of getting the 6. (About the same batt life anyways)

Running iOS8 since I'm a Apple developer and I see no purpose to go to 6.

9. Paolo Scuri

Paolo Scuri Silver Member

Status Points:
  10. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have compared several Samsung products, especially since I must have Samsung anyway for use in Korea (a client requirement there). They do always produce higher technical specifications, but the daily life with the S5, despite hugely higher specifications on paper, has been not too great for me in comparison with my iPhone 5S. Even with the 5S free to me I still prefer the iPhone. I admit bias, despite financial connection to Samsung. So, just like a few Samsung employees I know, I use iPhone when not actually in a Samsung facility. Call me insane if you wish.

Paolo Scuri, WilliamQ, bigx0 and 2 others like this.
  11. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    JB, what do you think about the iWatch? I think it's butt-ugly. Clearly they have left the Jobs era behind. I was never enthralled with his ultra-minimalist design, but at least it was consistent and true to itself. I think the new Apple is playing catch-up and has lost its unique vision.

Paolo Scuri, Kalboz and jbcarioca like this.
  12. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Your Apple store for proper recycling or the E-Stewards program is the way to go!

Otherwise it might end up in Ghana's e-waste dump site: http://www.pri.org/stories/2014-09-...-about-toss-becoming-toxic-e-waste-developing

jbcarioca likes this.
  13. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do not know enough to think anything yet. I think some versions are horrible to look at and others are attractive but I know little about actual functions, other than the release. I don't think much of charging every day but i like the Health features, especially the heart rate monitor and vertical step calculations. that's assuming they work and independent about price. I use an UP24 now, and have had five sports bands so far. All of them are unreliable, so far. The Argus app in iPhone 5S, using the iPhone geo tracking, works decently, better than the one I've had in a Samsung S5, but is also cheap in either version.

So, will Apple Watch suddenly make ApplePay more disruptive than it already looks to be? I doubt it, but maybe. Either way the ApplePay functionality is my business justification for the iPhone and may be for the Apple Watch too, assuming I find a client ready to subsidise my trial. Anyway, ApplePay is the gorilla in the room, giving a potential way for MC/V/AE and the big banks to gain traction against the huge threat in mobile payments from Walmart, with BestBuy and lots of others in CurrentC, which should launch itself next year and totally disintermediates the banks and card associations. That battle will be fun, especially because nobody has made mobile payments work yet. In the meantime the mobile NFC functions don't exist nor are they planned for Square and other small merchant distributed card acceptance acquirers. I realise I may seem to digress for the Apple Watch, but I do think this is more about payments than about any other factor, financially speaking.

So, I do not know if I actually answered your question, but I tried, Gargoyle. FWIW, full disclosure. I am an Apple shareholder.

lisamcgu, Paolo Scuri and Gargoyle like this.
  14. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unless of course it can be sold directly at decent terms. More likely one of my relatives probably is planning to accost me right now. Several have asked if I have already ordered one of the 6's. Most of my cast-offs seem to stay in the family.:rolleyes:

Kalboz likes this.
  15. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    jbcarioca likes this.
  16. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    brucewil, anileze, Gargoyle and 2 others like this.
  17. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ha ... that would be the next invention! ;)

anileze and ACMM like this.
  18. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    According to my SPG source, the one I asked to clarify policy regarding your question, yes, the Apple watch will indeed do that, so long as sid redhead is in a room you've booked and checkin with your Apple watch. I hope that helps. Your redhead might prefer the rose gold edition
    apple watch rose gold edition.jpg

Gargoyle, Kalboz and ACMM like this.
  19. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    :D My redhead may - my wife ... not so much! :p

20. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    anileze, jbcarioca, Kalboz and 2 others like this.
  21. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    brucewil, jbcarioca, Kalboz and 3 others like this.
  22. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Apple Phone User: Siri, where am I?
    Siri: How the hell would I know, use a real geofinder! :p

23. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    WilliamQ, Kalboz, ACMM and 1 other person like this.
  24. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    jbcarioca likes this.
  25. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    iPhone 6 vs HTC One M8

http://www.stuff.tv/apple/iphone-6-vs-htc-one-m8-weigh/feature/os-classic-battle

I love Apple hardware and amazed at how the phones hold their value but never got used to iOS, probably never buy another Apple product but I think the 6 will likely be a huge success

using a Samsung Note now (when I am abroad) that I think is a piece of junk, all these phones seem to be far smarter than me these days, many features I will never use and prices north of USD 500-600

the best phone for the money that I have used (I bought two at USD 165 each recently) is the Motorola MAXX, thin + great screen size, genuinely good quality telephone connection and all the features I need

however my company buys me a phone and notebook every two years, so will likely pick up the HTC One M8 :eek:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
    Kalboz and jbcarioca like this.