iPhone 5

Discussion in 'Community Center' started by delff128, Sep 10, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. delff128

delff128 Silver Member

Status Points:
    With the iPhone 5 purportedly about to make its debut (Sept. 12th), who all is planning on getting in on the action once the phone is available?

iolaire likes this.
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I make plans based on facts, not rumors. So I'll wait and see what they come up with and then decide whether it's worth upgrading at this time.

iolaire likes this.
  3. delff128

delff128 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm more interested in the intrinsic pent up demand for the phone; say for example iPhone 3G and 3GS owners who could have clearly upgraded to the 4 or 4S, or even upgraded outside of the Apple ecosystem, but chose not to because they were waiting for the iPhone 5. In all likelihood they will upgrade regardless of the futures of the phone (not to mention it will be a true upgrade in every sense of the word as the iPhone 5 will be a huge leap forward compared to what they already have) and be the backbone of this upgrade cycle as opposed to the rationalist like yourself.

iolaire likes this.
  4. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am currently on the 3GS so will definitely be making a move but likely not for a couple of months - will let all the hoopla die down.

iolaire likes this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    So here's my more educated answer now: no plans to upgrade from 4S.

iolaire and viguera like this.
  6. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I gave up my iPhone 4 months before the 4S came out (strategically selling it at a good price, switching to Verizon/Android and getting a hit on GS2011 all at once) and I haven't looked back since.

Every iteration of the iPhone and/or iOS introduces updates which are nice, albeit by the time they make it to market they're sorely needed -- case in point the revamped notification center which replaced the horrendous individual push notifications you used to get. Before that it was copy & paste or MMS support, but I digress.

This year it's a slightly bigger screen and LTE support, both of which are nice to have, but you've been able to have with other phones for quite a while now. I don't hate on Apple because I used their original phone, 3G, and 4 before I switched, but I couldn't sit back and wait a year until they finished polishing things and essentially catching up with the rest of the world.

They do (almost) everything right, but it takes them a very long time to do so. If I want NFC and wireless charging for example, that's pretty much out of the question or requires an additional expenditure. Personally I'll pass on this iteration (as I did on t he 4S) and grab either one of the new Windows phones or one of the new Samsungs coming out at the end of the year.

iolaire likes this.
  7. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    While some hate the new dock connector, I for one welcome it with open arms. I hate having to get the damn connector facing the right way - it's impossible to do in the dark!

desamo and iolaire like this.
  8. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the fact that it's reversible is great, and it's one of those little problems that USB has that nobody has ever bothered to figure out -- but that's the problem when you follow standards, as opposed to Apple who just does whatever the hell they want. :)

The need for a $30 adapter is a slap in the face though. Apple runs a money-printing racket with their accessories, and even the stuff that they don't make themselves they make money of by having the manufacturers pay a licensing fee. Now you change the connector and every dock you have at home or in the car, every stereo speakers and other doodahs will need an adapter -- unless you want to risk having just one and carrying it around everywhere you go.

And while I agree that using WiFi or Bluetooth for everything is great, the advantage of a dock is that your phone charges while you're using it, as opposed to discharging (faster, at that) when you're going wireless. So your options are to either pay the $30 for a new adapter or pay for another wall / car charger so that you can keep your device juiced up while you go wireless.

9. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    My wish, sell my Verizon 4s, which is a pain with scammers on eBay, buy a 64 gig phone from Virgin Moble US and be able to get internationally unlocked. If Virgin offered that with a 4s, I'd still be happy paying list price for the phone, but to date the only have smaller models and they don't offer the international unlock...