iPhone 5 tops many a mobile-phone shopping list [ YOURS TOO? ]

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by uggboy, Sep 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    iPhone 5 tops many a mobile-phone shopping list:)

Though yet to be released, the iPhone 5 is already on the shopping list of more than 40 percent of those polled by InMobi.

In a study released yesterday, the mobile ad network discovered that 41 percent of mobile users in the U.S., Mexico, and Canada will buy the new iPhone, with 50 percent of those planning to pick one up within the first six months of the phone's debut. If those numbers hold true, the iPhone 5 would become the most successful product launch yet from Apple, according to InMobi.

Apple has an iPhone event planned for next week, at which the tight-lipped company is widely expected to unveil the iPhone 5.

MORE!>
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-20113250-37/iphone-5-tops-many-a-mobile-phone-shopping-list/

Jimgotkp likes this.
  2. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    How could iPhone 4S NOT be?

About the only thing that's missing on it is LTE, and that is not a dealbreaker for me.

That assistant thing is WAY cool.

4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    The assistant is cool, but it's old hat if you've played with it before. Apple acquired the company that made it, so it's integrated rather than being a separate app, but everything that's there was there for months in the Siri app, it's just that it's cooler when Apple presents it... :)

The only thing I didn't see that the Siri app had was Opentable integration. You could enter your login details from OT and make reservations automatically by using your voice. Right now it looks like you can set reminders still for lunch and what-not, and get directions to the restaurants, but I didn't see anything about whether or not reservations would be supported.

The "geofence" thing is cool too, but only if you set up all those locations -- like "home" and "work" addresses for yourself -- and even then it's only "decent" as opposed to great. For example "remind me to call Joe when I leave work" sets the reminder based on the geofence, not on the actual time you leave work... so if you leave work to go to a meeting or something, the app is not smart enough to know you're just stepping out.

Still, Siri was definitely a great app to have and hopefully Apple's integration into the iPhone will get other companies moving into adapting similar technology.

As far as the phone itself goes, I was rather underwhelmed by the whole thing. New dual core CPU (about time) and a new camera, and that's about it. The rest of the goodies come from iOS 5 and have been expected for quite some time. The Android-like notifications are long overdue and it's good to finally see Apple fix that huge pain in the ass.

Personally I got tired of the iPhone a while back and sold my iPhone 4 a few months ago and switched to Android. Right now AT&T will offer me a new iPhone for $200 since my contract is up in December, so I'll probably get a new 4S and just sell it and make a profit. :)

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  5. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I am a long-suffering BlackBerry user, three years of having the Storm 2.

Have never owned an Apple product, let alone any iPhone.

So, pardon me for getting excited.

6. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Storm / Storm 2 are by far the worst Blackberry devices I've ever used. Now the new 9850/9860 all-touch device seems to want to take that crown... :)

But it's a huge change coming from the Blackberry side to the iOS / Android side... should be fun regardless if you get a decent device.

7. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    My iPhone4 is fine enough.

What I want is 4G, when ATT improves their network and iPhone supports 4G then I'll consider a new iPhone.

As a owner of a i5 MacBook Pro, iPad and other older apple stuff, I love apple, but for me I just don't care about voice recognition -- it's cool but not a necessity. Plus I have Sync already in my Lincoln so for voice dialing when driving I have that set already.

The new features are cool but just not something I'm running out for right now.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2394108,00.asp#fbid=POj5MQUX755

8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am not going to upgrade my iPhone 4.

9. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Given I still have the iPhone 3GS I will upgrade.

[Sent from my milePoint enabled iPhone]

10. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have never owned anything made by Apple, and never will. So no, the newly-announced phone is not on my "list".

When recently in Helsinki, I played with my future phone, the Nokia N9:

[​IMG]

Gaucho likes this.
  11. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think that's what you'll see a lot of people do... or who knows, if the incentives are right, some people might be convinced to upgrade from the 4 to the 4S.

I think a lot of people are surprised -- and even disappointed -- but you have to admit that it's a pretty shrewd move by Apple. They've really moved to a 2 year cycle with the iPhone, with what basically adds up to a minor upgrade in between major releases.

They did this with the 3 to 3GS upgrade, where the 3GS had better performance and a few other tidbits, then a jump to the iPhone 4 with a new form factor, better screen and dual cameras. Now the 4S is the intermediate upgrade which brings only a CPU upgrade and better camera, while everything else is in the software.

The next iteration -- whatever is called -- will almost certainly get all the "cool" features like a new form factor, NFC and LTE. In the meantime, they're still making truckloads of money from people that want to have "the latest" even if it looks just like last year's model and doesn't bring anything revolutionary to the table.

12. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree - I think Apple is also looking to expand their market worldwide (such as into China) and at this time not necessarily adding more bling to the lineup.

13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It's certainly impressive how they can gain/maintain a huge market share with essentially one device model while the likes of HTC, Motorola, Nokia, RIM etc crank out new models every few weeks. Maybe one of them could make a device that fits into all those Chinese iPhone 5 cases that supposedly have popped up everywhere.

ACMM likes this.
  14. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it's a great move from a financial standpoint. They have the $0 3GS which will obviously introduce millions of people to the platform, and get them hooked. The incredibly low price of the original iPhone 4 ($99) means that even those people that were holding out with a 3 / 3GS will now probably upgrade to a 4 or 4S.

And the single model of the 4S with the built-in CDMA antenna will finally give them access to the Sprint subscriber base and do so without having to do any additional engineering -- just basic antenna redesign and shove it all in the same case they're currently using.

I wouldn't be surprised if the next step is for them to get their fingers into the prepay phone cookie jar with the free or low-cost phones. There are still millions of people out there that go that route and they'd probably love to have an iPhone.

ACMM likes this.
  15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    THey already had the CDMA iPhone 4 for Verizon that presumably would have worked on Sprint if they had wanted to make a deal with them. I think the real benefit of this new model for CDMA customers is the "world phone" feature...

viguera likes this.
  16. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Apple has done so much to the iPhone already. Sure, there are things they have copied from others, but as I recall Apple brought on a LOT more innovation to its devices that seem to be copied over to other phones.

Right now, there aren't any 4G/LTE phones out there that are consistently good. Gut feel says that Apple didn't go LTE because the battery life sucks (a big problem in all 4G devices, like Thunderbolt and Bionic). Some blogs have posted that a chipset with 4G and a reasonable power consumption is a year away. While people want the latest and greatest, including 4G, I'm happy that Apple did not cheapen the iPhone by trying to get LTE on ASAP.

I'm also happy that I'll be pre-ordering my first phone tomorrow that I know will deliver.

Looking down the road, I'm confident that Jobs considered everything about Apple. Specifically, future business plans and the timing of his health. I think there are several years of Jobs' fingerprints on Apple products yet to come.

ACMM likes this.
  17. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have to agree with you on this... :)

18. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree that Apple kickstarted this whole business and without their innovations we wouldn't be where we are today, but still, it's almost like they're expected to do something fantastic, and when it's not then you can understand why people are not excited.

The iPhone 4S has the same form factor, including screen size and most of the same features as the iPhone 4, which is now over a year old. I'm willing to bet that if the 4S had NFC and LTE support their adoption would have been significantly accelerated, just as the iPhone and iPad basically forced companies to adopt better standards for mobile websites and have been forcing carriers to improve their wireless networks.

But like I said, it's understandable that Apple is again doing the incremental "evolutionary" release rather than a major release each year. People still flock to the phone and they make billions of dollars, and they'll save their big stuff for next summer.

19. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Is there anything wrong with that? A lot of people (not here) seemed disappointed because the iPhone 4S looks just like the iPhone 4. I guess that means I'll be able to walk around with my "old" iPhone 4 and pretend that it's the new one (one way to look at it: my investment from last year was protected). I personally don't think that increasing the screen size would make it a better device if it increases the overall size of the device.

Scottrick and viguera like this.
  20. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    My dad's DroidX is huge, and even with an extra battery pack needs to be charged at least once a day. I'm glad I have an iPhone. The extra screen is not necessary if the space is used well.

21. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I gave the rather large EVO 4G I received at last year's Google IO conference to my wife. She carries it in a purse or backpack, so it doesn't matter.

Gaucho likes this.
  22. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will bite, for not at first... will wait for prices to drop and then try to get an unlocked version from Canada....

23. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    OK... Ive had a few Nokia phones before.... but got tired of good hardware but sloppy software that made for an overall pathetic experience. Has this changed with the N9...?????

Im willing to jump ship back to Nokia... but please, give me a proper UI and good stability.

Would love to hear details on what this N9 is all about....

Wurm likes this.
  24. Halothane
    Original Member

Halothane Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm biting because my 3Gs has been to Hell and back! It's starting to come apart at the seams! hehe. Am disappointed in the announcement......as I had hoped for something new and interesting besides the Siri thing.

bonnerbl and ACMM like this.
  25. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gaucho likes this.