iPhone 5 Docks at Hotels

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Jimgotkp, Sep 16, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since the new iPhone 5 will have a different connector than all the other iPhones and iPads, do you expect hotels to roll out new iPod docks? If so, how much time will you give them to do so?

Also, do many of you even use the iPod docks in your hotel room?

2. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Never use them.

3. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I suspect that it will take a years for hotels and cruise ships to update to the new connector. Many people will still have the current connector for years to come. There is no good solution for a hotel. I suspect that they will just wait it out and when it comes time for a refresh they will make the replacement then.

Paolo Scuri and Jimgotkp like this.
  4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since I don't own an iPhone, I see no demand for now.

Jimgotkp likes this.
  5. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd guess that an aftermarket adapter would be available shortly, that you could use to allow your I phone 5 to still access the Dock at hotels that don't upgrade.

Kalboz and Jimgotkp like this.
  6. toddreg
    Original Member

toddreg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Why would Apple do this. Why? Just like chargers, why can't there simply be one universal charger for most everything go eliminate the need to carry 14 with you every time you travel.

7. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Because it's Apple. :)

There's a huge market in the accessory business, from docks to car chargers and extended batteries. By then switching the connector -- just like the extremely slight physical design changes on previous models -- they guarantee that if you want to use your new iPhone in the same way you used the old one, you're going to have to shell out for more gear.

Now you're going to have to go and buy an adapter or six, and hope that you don't leave it at the hotel or in the rental car.

servo46250, Jimgotkp and toddreg like this.
  8. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Or just buy an Android. ;)

I use those iPod/Phone dock things at hotels using my USB/mini USB cord for my Droid RAZR Maxx. Works just fine for me. I doubt the hotels would be quick to change.

Kalboz and Jimgotkp like this.
  9. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    I bet many will upgrade right out of the IDock business and into the MicroUSB world.

Kalboz, servo46250 and Jimgotkp like this.
  10. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Buy and carry the new adapter.

Kalboz, guberif and Jimgotkp like this.
  11. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Considering how many years Apple has stuck with the old form factor, and how many millions of items they've sold with it, I can't really agree with toddreg that Apple is making this hard for us. Apple HAS kept it simple - same plug for iPad, iPhone, and most iPods. It's the other cell makers who've made it difficult.

Anyway, so we'll get adapters or new accessories. I think we've had a pretty good run on the one connector, and I'm sure Apple understands the implications of changing it. They make some money on the change, but the bulk of the accessories sales are at third parties. For Apple, this means problems convincing car manufacturers and the like to adopt the new cable, so I'm sure they thought long and hard about it.

Jimgotkp and ACMM like this.
  12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I generally agree with you.

[​IMG]

One thing, though: Apple licenses their connector design and collects money from the various manufacturers that make cables and other things that connect to the iPhone.

FriendlySkies and ACMM like this.
  13. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great pic!

While I hear you on that last point, it's only the incremental difference in that regard that would help them. They make money either way.

Gaucho likes this.
  14. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have to disagree there. With the exception of Samsung and Dell, pretty much every manufacturer on the planet has switched to micro USB and HDMI. Dell no longer makes their "Streak" device that I know and Samsung switched to micro USB a while back.

Apple is the only company that insists you buy their device with a custom connector nowadays for charging.

And of course if you want to output content to a TV or projector you either need another piece of proprietary hardware -- a custom cable or worse, an Apple TV box, which uses a proprietary protocol (Airplay) rather than the standard (DLNA).

It reminds me of the early days or wireless hardware when you had to buy everything from the same manufacturer because things wouldn't play nice if you mixed and matched.

javacodeguy, zphelj and Gaucho like this.
  15. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Before people take to streets, let's remember TV cables: Coax, RCA, S-VHS, Component, VGA, DVI, Optical and HDMI (I'm sure I'm forgetting some).

I survived all of the above; I'll survive this.

16. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    I normally only use the iPhone dock in an international hotel, as I'll usually be using my sole adapter for my laptop or camera charger.

Never use them in the US.

17. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it boils down to: iOS users are mostly OK with this.

Android users were pissed even before the change.

18. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    All I really need is a female USB jack to plug the OTHER end of the USB-Lightning cable into. I could care less if there's a 30-pin, lightning, etc. connector. All I need is power.

That's assuming I get a Lightning device. I'm still on my original iPad, and I'm an iPhone 4s user with no real need to upgrade.

viguera likes this.
  19. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Apple users will buy anything and pay outrageous amounts for it... :)

I still remember the bumper fiasco from AntennaGate(tm) back when the iPhone 4 was released. "There's no antenna problem, you're just holding your phone wrong... oh wait there is, but you can solve it by using a bumper that costs $30. Oh ok fine we'll send you a free bumper."

Apropos...

20. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah - see - I could see that if I bought into Flash. But I don't. I'm just an Apple fanboy like that. So whatever the point was, I missed it.

21. effseeoh

effseeoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is partly due to the fact that there is a european agreement that all phones must charge from a common micro-usb connector. Apple signed up to this in 2009. http://www.readwriteweb.com/mobile/...nnector-skirts-eu-environmental-agreement.php

javacodeguy likes this.
  22. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Please... They standardized things from the day they launched the iPod and thyve stuck with it till this day on ALL new devices, while every other manufacturer on this planet has tons of different chargers and connectors. And how annoyed has everyone been over the constant connector and charger changes we've from various device manufacturers?? Nokia must have had 30+ changes the last 10 years:) Apple has done what's best and simplest for the consumer and still been able to make more money than anyone else.

The only reason Apple has changed the connector is because the new iPhone 5 is too thin for the old connector.

That said, Bose has a new docking device for the Wave clock radio unde way, it'll cost 39 dollars, so all hotels who carry that radio with the iPhone/iPod dock will have an easy fix. Also, iHome radios are dirt cheap and doesn't have a very long life expectancy. They will probably be replaced as soon as they break. Till then, you can just use the Aux port on these devices even if the sound blows on the iHome.

For music on weekend trips, I carry the previous version of this myself, even works with droids and other stuff: http://www.bose.com/controller?url=...aker/index.jsp&perfsourceid=K15228&src=K15228

23. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Exactly, but if there's a reason why Apple couldn't have used a standard micro-USB port instead -- the way everybody else is going -- other than just being stubborn as always with their proprietary stuff, they're not telling anybody.

Maybe their old 30 pin connector didn't fit, but there are plenty of other smartphones which are thinner than Apple's new "thinnest smartphone ever" that use micro-USB for charging -- Asian manufacturers like ZTE and Oppo are already into the 6.2-6.5mm range and they don't seem to have any problems with fitting a standard micro-USB.

At the end of the day Apple used their connector before because they're Apple. :) You can see from the pinouts that they were trying to carry video, firewire, USB, controls and line-level audio, not to mention power and reserved pins (16 functional pins overall), which is why you needed such a big connector.

Not to mention that for all the pins on the old cable or the old docks, it still connects to your computer via a standard USB port, so obviously USB is good enough. :)

But maybe it's just me... it just seems like it's for the benefit of the consumer when they don't have to purchase manufacturer specific cables/accessories.

24. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you read about Steve Jobs at all, you'll find that he's never been content with "good enough."

I don't know how the pins work, but there are clearly reasons why USB hasn't been enough for these devices. USB may be enough when communicating with a computer, but it may not be when communicating with dumber devices, where the iOS device has to do more work internally.

tommy777 likes this.
  25. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, but that's my point... at the end of the day, regardless of what kind of connector is on your device, no matter what kind of shenanigans you do with the cable, when you look at your computer there's only one thing waiting for it: a standard USB port.

We might have to agree to disagree on whether a custom connector/custom cable is required, because any way I look at it, when the host is standard and everything relies on the drivers/software installed, I can't see a need for the device on the other side to have a proprietary connector other than just the hardware manufacturer being difficult.