Iphone 4 - OS Update problem

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by Gaucho, Jan 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    OK... so Ive just tried to updated the darned OS for the fourth time... and always get the same result.

Before updating, I synched all the phone stuff to the computer... then I ask ITunes to download and update... the download of the OS goes fine, but when it gets to the "processing file" part, it invariably ends in the same error message, which reads:

There was a problem downloading the software for the iPhone (name of iPhone). The network connection timed out. :mad:

The weird thing is that the download goes perfectly... and I am sure my Internet connection did not die in the middle of this... regardless, doesnt Apple use the same "smart" update technology that I have with MicroSoft and even if in the middle of a download you lose conectivity is will resume at the point it left off after the conection is restored...????? :mad:

Ive tried to update this from two different locations.... and get the same darned message.

Help please !!!!

Thanks,
    Alex / Gaucho

2. msny

msny Gold Member

Status Points:
    Try disabling any Anti-Virus software and/or Firewall program running in the background on the computer before upgrading.

Gaucho likes this.
  3. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks.... but, Im a little weary of having to turn off the anti-virus... I dont have a firewall other than the standard Windows issue firewall... Im very surprised that these could be an issue.

Any other ideas....???

4. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Bob Smolinsky Gold Member

Status Points:
    Odd as that message only came up during the first few days when the Apple Server was busy....

5. emajy
    Original Member

emajy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Worst case take it to the Apple store and have them do the upgrade.