iPads fuel flight of paperless planes

Discussion in 'Blogstand' started by sobore, Mar 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/...ht-of-paperless-planes-/45015854/1?csp=34news

Tablet computers such as the iPad are revolutionizing aircraft cockpits as tens of thousands of private pilots bring the powerful mini-computers into planes. Several of the nation's largest airlines are poised to follow suit.
    The Federal Aviation Administration this year for the first time granted approval for two charter companies to use iPads instead of the bulky paper charts and manuals that pilots have been required to carry since the birth of modern aviation. Alaska Airlines is testing iPads in some of its planes, and Delta Air Lines and American Airlines say they're planning on launching tests soon.

2. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it is a great idea to get rid of all the paper. I wonder what they have as a backup plan in the event of an iPad crash?

3. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had the same thought, maybe they will mandate two ipads with duplicate data?

4. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    My guess is they could still rely on the radio and transponder, which are much more reliable, to be guided to safety by air traffic control. Or, if it's daylight, they would probably be just fine using visual flight rules.