iPad2 Shipments

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by Captain Oveur, Apr 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    I ordered my iPad2.

Does anyone have experience, or knows of someone, that got their iPad2 before the advertised date?

2. BamaGirl
    Original Member

BamaGirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Me...mine was due to arrive the 7th. FedEx tried to deliver yesterday. Of course, I was traveling :(.

3. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well I ordered mine through J&R, not Apple, and they told me 1-2 weeks and it took 1.5 weeks to ship (scheduled to arrive next Thursday now). Last year when I got my original one, through Apple, I think it shipped the exact date they told me it would (about 3 weeks) though the transit time was slightly less than what was advertised.

4. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for your response (and to adam too).

Did you by any chance notice whether they updated your estimated shipping arrival date before they attempted the first delivery?

(Only asking because I'm hoping they will deliver it before a European trip at the end of this month).

5. BamaGirl
    Original Member

BamaGirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually, I did check. They updated the information when the iPad went to FedEx. And, even then, the delivery date was not correct. It actually arrived before the date Apple projected. The best information came from using the FedEx tracking number on the FedEx site. Good luck. Hope yours arrives before you leave.

6. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
  7. Tivoboy
    Original Member

Tivoboy Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Waiting is always the hardest part

IMGone likes this.
  8. BAppelt
    Original Member

BAppelt Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got mine today 11 days earlier than what was listed on the order. It took a total of 27 days since ordering on-line. I ordered directly from Apple.

9. Tivoboy
    Original Member

Tivoboy Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    When i ordered at 12:55 on the first day (and GLAD I DID since I woke up to learn about the earthquake in Japan and my father was there!) it said, 3-5, then about ten minutes later it said 5-7 days, but indeed it arrived on the Monday following. :)

DeltaExpert likes this.
  10. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    How do you like your iPad2?

11. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed - what are your impressions - it is on my list to get one in Canada - just have not pulled the trigger yet.

12. Tivoboy
    Original Member

Tivoboy Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I really like it. I know it isn't too much different from the previous gen, but it really FEELS different. It FEELS lighter and easier to hold in ones hand. It IS much faster, I really like that everything just launches instantly and I think downloads are faster, or else the WSJ.com app and automotorundsport app have gotten really optimized lately.

There are some very subjective things like the HOME button feel. It doesn't really depress like the older one, it is most like the iphone 4, but even then it just feels better. I think the smartcase is a Meh, I have problems with it turning the device on in a backpack or bag. It is easy to turn off, but that just defeats the purpose, right. I like having a camera and facetime, this is an application I have been using for yeas and having it in THIS device will provide value for me. Overall, great purchase.
    Now, granted I was able to sell my 32GB gen 1 for 477$, so this one was only really 123$ to upgrade, but even so it would be a nice purchase. I haven't found really anyone who doesn't like it.

jw3711, Dorlee and ACMM like this.
  13. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    I feel very similarly about my new iPad, especially the comment about the WSJ app. Now if only the Apple Store could get my replacment one in to fix a wifi problem I am having... :rolleyes:

14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I ordered mine on March 28 after returning from an Asia trip. Estimated ship date was April 25 and it still shows that date when I visit the Apple site. I could probably have gotten it quicker if I had queued up at the local Apple store at 5am (that's what they advised me to do when I visited them at 10am on 3/28), but since I have an iPad 1, I am really not that desperate to get the new one and certainly don't think it's worth standing outside a store for four hours.

15. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    It now says 2-3 weeks on apple.com

16. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yup, basically, if I ordered it now, I'd likely get a ship date not all that different from when I ordered on March 28 :confused:

17. stimpy
    Original Member

stimpy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll be traveling to the US in a week. Should I expect to find Ipad2's in most Apple stores then?

I'll be looking for a white 16GB wifi model.

18. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Nope.

19. stimpy
    Original Member

stimpy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Really? They are in all the stores here in Europe. Why can't they stock them in America?

20. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Too much demand, not enough supply?

21. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Then buy one in Europe :)

What? You say they are more expensive in Europe? we'll, maybe that's the explanation.

(btw, Apple Germany online store says 2-3 weeks, too)

22. stimpy
    Original Member

stimpy Silver Member

Status Points:
    No, I don't think that is the explanation. Everything is more expensive in Europe. I've seen them stocked in Ireland and England over a week ago.

But when will they be generally available in US stores? Another month? Longer?

23. JSpira
    Original Member

JSpira Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, if you camp out the night before.

In NY you can find a line of Chinese immigrants waiting outside most Apple stores day and night to get the few iPads that come in (for purposes of reselling them). In fact, there was a NY Times article about this phenomemon in the past day or so.

24. JSpira
    Original Member

JSpira Silver Member

Status Points:
    I love mine (and I'm not an Apple user per se). The thinness (33% thinner compared to iPad 1) and lighter weight (15% lighter) make it far more suitable for reading longer works.

Here is a picture of mine:

[​IMG]

Also, my in-depth review of the new iPad that was published today might be helpful to some here.

bonnerbl, Gargoyle and DeltaExpert like this.
  25. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great review!

ACMM likes this.