Ipad2 March 25th launch in Canada

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by flying-gal, Mar 23, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. flying-gal
    Original Member

flying-gal Silver Member

Status Points:
    How many of us AC folks are going to try and buy an Ipad2 on Friday when they are launched here?

I never bought the original Ipad but very keen on getting my hands on one this time around :)
    I was at the mall earlier today and the Apple Store has a sign up stating they are closing the store between 3:00 - 5:00 for Friday's official launch at 5 PM. The place was mobbed with kids on their Spring Break vacation.

Not too excited about the hype and line-ups that surround these Apple launches.
    I'd love to hear your feedback on the Ipad and how useful it is for your travels. Also things that you were disappointed in when you bought the Ipad.

Thank you.

2. jarusoba
    Original Member

jarusoba Silver Member

Status Points:
    It would be less easy to scratch than the Louis Vuitton iPad pouch. :p

I want an iPad 2 too, if I could get my hands on a few. I want to sell them in HKG for a huge profit.

3. illico
    Original Member

illico Silver Member

Status Points:
    What do you intend to use it for? I use my iPad (wifi only) with the bare minimum. I have no apps except iBooks. I use it strictly to internet surf, and for various forms of entertainment such as music, videos, the aforementioned iBooks...

Some +ves:
    Takes up much less space and weight than my netbook.
    No startup/boot sequence so you are up and running immediately.

some -ves For my personal habits it becomes less convenient for trips longer than 3-4 days because:
    Web browser is not flash enabled
    I can't do work such as excel and word (though to be fair i haven't looked for an app for it)

flying-gal likes this.
  4. jarusoba
    Original Member

jarusoba Silver Member

Status Points:
    And to me, the ipad is useless if it is not jail-broken. So I would wait for the ipad2 jailbreak to come out before I would consider buying it.

5. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    What flying-gal.... have you given up hope on Santa Randy pulling your name out of the number generator and announcing it here?!? :)

I think I am going to still wait to see the Playbook. Its a little bit smaller, but if the specs are nice, I may consider it in competition to the iPad2. Everyone around me seems to be getting one, but unlike most gadgets, I am going to hold off until the frenzy dies down (though it does look nice in the LV iPouch! ;))

flying-gal likes this.
  6. flying-gal
    Original Member

flying-gal Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Ipad as far as I know comes without any ties to any company in Canada, so why would it need to be jail-broken? ... I'm thinking about the Wifi-3G.

7. flying-gal
    Original Member

flying-gal Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks so much for your feedback, greatly appreciated.

I'm thinking of the Wi-fi 3G unit. Would like to use it as an ebook reader, email, entertainment, maps app, surfing the net. I thought there was an apple app for Word, which I was planning on getting. Also, I love to cook/bake and thought it would be handy in the kitchen for recipes. :)

The negative I am thinking about though is, it is so thin it has no CD drive which means all my music has to go through a computer/ Itunes. I don't like that feature that everything has to be through Itunes.

I was thinking it would be great for travel, being so light weight and small, if I don't carelessly lose it or leave it in a MLL or on the plane. ;)

8. jarusoba
    Original Member

jarusoba Silver Member

Status Points:
    You don't like iTunes? This is exactly the reason why I want it jail-broken. You can drag and drop files into a jail-broken iPad without going to iTunes as you wish. So much easier to put movies/music/files into the ipad without going through the iTunes crap.

flying-gal likes this.
  9. flying-gal
    Original Member

flying-gal Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, I think my chances of winning one from Santa Randy are slim. Leaving soon for the UK and thought it would be great to use while over there. Now that I'm getting up there in years, I actually like the larger size of the Ipad screen. I find reading things on the phone difficult at times.

Well, haven't even looked at the LV pouch... With the Ipad2 model I am looking at, think I had best be happy with the cost of just the Ipad. The Ipad 2 has a new, cover design you can buy... has a magnetic edge apparently that also serves as a stand. Think it is $39US.. so not sure what they will charge in Canada.

10. flying-gal
    Original Member

flying-gal Silver Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps, my understanding on this is all wrong. ( which is quite possible ;) ) I thought the jail-breaking was to do with the data package so that you didn't have to go through a particular provider like Rogers in Canada. Just like an unlocked phone you buy directly from Apple. I did not realize that jail-breaking was so you didn't have to go through itunes for everything.

Just shows you, how up to date I am on all of this gadgets that are now out there.

11. jarusoba
    Original Member

jarusoba Silver Member

Status Points:
    Jail-breaking is more than that. It allows you to get apps without going through the Apple apps store. I'm not an expert and I'm sure a lot of members on this board are better than I am.

I won't use the ipad as an eBook reader though. I prefer the Kindle. It uses way less power. It is better than other ebook readers because it lets you go online in a lot of foreign countries for free, using 3G networks.

BTW, this thread is kind of OT. But who cares? Enjoy it before it's being moved.:)

12. flying-gal
    Original Member

flying-gal Silver Member

Status Points:
    well not really off topic... :D It is all about the Canadian launch on Friday... and how to use it during travel and of course the AC app.

jarusoba likes this.
  13. flying-gal
    Original Member

flying-gal Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have heard the kindle is much better as an ebook reader because the screen can be read in the sun without the glare, where as the Ipad is not as good. As for 3G, I'm planning on buying the 3G version of Ipad2.

14. RCyyz
    Original Member

RCyyz Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a 64GB 3G iPad 1 which I bought when it came out in Canada. In the interests of full disclosure - I'm a gadget freak and an Apple fan. My first Apple product was an Apple //c. The first Apple I wanted however was an Apple //e.

Having said that, I must say I was surprised by how much I immediately started to use and continue to use my iPad. It's awfully handy to have an instant-on device when you just want to look something up, check an email (personal email on iPad, work email on Blackberry) or do just about anything else that needs a computer. Since I live alone, I also use my iPad as a big speakerphone using Skype. And I've killed my paper Globe & Mail subscription in favour of the iPad version which gives me the full newspaper (complete with ads even) for an annual subscription rate of $200.

I'm a huge reader and one of my problems was space. I was simply running out of space to store my books. I was spending about $1500 per year buying & reading new books. With iPad I'm buying eBooks (Kindle & Kobo) at a fraction of the price. A new hardcover goes for $35 but the eBook is often $9.99 or less. When I travel TPAC I used to take 2 or 3 books with me at significant space & weight. Now I carry over 50 books at a time on my iPad, as well as a few movies and some music too. Just on eBook savings alone I've almost made back the price of the iPad.

In the hotel room it's quite useful to have a bit of music loaded because iPad has a decent enough speaker on it. It's not high-quality audio, but it's good enough when you're travelling and it's certainly loud enough in a hotel room.

One thing with iPad though is that screen protection is important. I highly recommend the Invisible Shield from http://www.zagg.com . It's a bit hard to apply properly, but it works really well and it's a bit easier to keep the screen clean too. (I do admit though that a "naked" iPad feels much nicer.) Given that the new Apple cover doesn't protect the back of the iPad I would personally consider the full-body version of Invisible Shield.

With respect to 3G, I'm on the lowest package and it's actually OK. The first time you'll blow right through the limit which is to be expected, but after that you'll settle into your regular usage pattern. For me I find that I rarely use 3G as I tend to be in places where WiFi is available. But it sure is nice to have the freedom of 3G once in a while. In Italy I was able to buy a microsim from Tre which had a kick ass iPad plan. In Greece I hope to be able to find a Vodaphone store where I can do the same.

So if you're inclined to get an iPad, I would heartily say go for it! I don't think you'll be disappointed.

milchap and flying-gal like this.
  15. flying-gal
    Original Member

flying-gal Silver Member

Status Points:
    What fantastic feedback. Thank You :)
    I expect that II won't need the 3G that much. I will probably be using Wifi all the time.

Skype is something else I am hoping to use on the Ipad.
    I'll take your advice on the screen protection too and look into that.

milchap likes this.
  16. global_happy_traveller
    Original Member

global_happy_traveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    having lined up for the iPhone 4 before, i suggest staying home and ordering it from Apple Canada online.

As per Wi-Fi + 3G option, i believe Apple had some wording confusion regarding it being "specific to a carrier". If I read correctly, what they meant was you can use one carrier at a time.

Looking forward to having 4 x iPad2 for my wife, inlaws, parents and myself

flying-gal likes this.
  17. flying-gal
    Original Member

flying-gal Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had considered ordering it from Apple Ca. online but leaving soon for the UK. With the Ipad2 being newly released, not sure how long the delivery would be or if it would arrive in time.

WOW, with ordering 4 of them, what is one more? :D (Just add me to your shopping list, please. )
    This is going to be a gift to myself for my birthday in a couple of weeks time.

18. Analise
    Original Member

Analise Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do the prices on the Canadian Apple store website include all of the taxes?

19. flying-gal
    Original Member

flying-gal Silver Member

Status Points:
    No taxes will be on top of the advertised prices. Depending where you live in Canada taxes are different as well.
    In BC, we have a harmonized tax..

20. fly-yul
    Original Member

fly-yul Active Member

Status Points:
    I hired a student to stand in line tomorrow. I'm going to pickup a couple of units as gifts.
    They officially go on sale tomorrow at 5pm. I've heard that best buy is giving out tickets starting at 10am so you don't have to wait in line all day. But, I have not been able to confirm.

flying-gal likes this.
  21. milestoburn
    Original Member

milestoburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    i'll get one when it comes with a phone.

22. global_happy_traveller
    Original Member

global_happy_traveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    I believe they set the initial inventory for each country in advance and then retrieve off the production line later when supplies run low.

flying-gal likes this.
  23. flying-gal
    Original Member

flying-gal Silver Member

Status Points:
    Same in YVR, going on sale at 5 PM... our Apple store is closing shop from 3--5 PM to get ready.

24. MiltonR
    Original Member

MiltonR Silver Member

Status Points:
    I plan to order one online tomorrow as soon as the online store will let me. I'm thinking 32MG, 3G version and a few extras. I'm a Mac fan and I've had the loan of an iPad1 for a while. I think iPad2 is for me.

flying-gal likes this.
  25. flying-gal
    Original Member

flying-gal Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just watched the CTV Global news and I can't believe it. It showed people already lining up outside an Apple store. It didn't mention where in Canada this was but it showed inside of a mall. I would have thought you couldn't stay inside a mall overnight. One fellow they interviewed said he was wanting to get one for his wife who is ill in hospital and hopes this will cheer her up. :)