Ipad wifi or wifi plus 3G

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by kellio, Feb 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. kellio
    Original Member

kellio Gold Member

Status Points:
    In laymens term what does the 3g get me? Why do I need this?

I'm asking because I picked up an Ipad for my daughter yesterday and thought I picked the basic model. After I got home I looked at the receipt and realized they gave me the 3G model.

Is it that I need to pay for an additional data plan on the 3G?

What does the data plan get me that regular wifi connection at a hotspot, or here at home doesn't?

2. Chamonix
    Original Member

Chamonix Silver Member

Status Points:
    3G means she can go online without being in a wi-fi hotspot, as long as she is within range of a cell phone tower. She will need to pay a fee for that, though it's not very expensive.

I find it invaluable and would definitely not buy an iPad without it. It would be like buying a car with a CD player but no radio. ;)

AlaskaAir738 and kellio like this.
  3. kellio
    Original Member

kellio Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks but thats not what I wanted to hear. Kids are so expensive;)

This is what I get for shopping when suffering from jet lag and exhaustion from up to 17 hour work days.
    I guess I'll keep it. She was freaking out that she would have to set up the whole Ipad again.

btw- thanks for the quick answer. Can you also answer plumbing questions?[​IMG]

Chamonix likes this.
  4. Cholula
    Original Member

Cholula Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Someday the US will catch up with much of the rest of the world and Wi-Fi will be everywhere.....the whole country will be, in essence, a hot spot. And then 3G will probably no longer be necessary unless you live in a very remote area.

Until that time, however, I too agree that the 3G option is critical for the iPad.

5. UADomer08
    Original Member

UADomer08 Silver Member

Status Points:
    FWIW I have a non-3G iPad but carry around a mobile hotspot for business. The hot-spot creates a mobile network that can be accessed by multiple devices. This way I can have my computer and my iPad connected. I know its not an ideal solution (one more piece of technology to carry) but it does accomplish the same goal with a bit more versatility than jus the 3G iPad. If you're stuck and in a bind with a non-3G iPad it may be worth looking into pricing.

wiredboy and Sean like this.
  6. Chamonix
    Original Member

Chamonix Silver Member

Status Points:
    Haha, I wish! I've got a few relatively simple plumbing jobs at my house at the moment!
    How old is your daughter? You don't have to set up the 3G until/if you need it. I think I'm paying AT&T about 14.99 a month for my occasional usage. I know, I know, it all adds up, especially with teenagers....my daughter is 14. Yikes! LOL

7. Travelrus

Travelrus Active Member

Status Points:
    Depends what you use it for.
    I don't have the 3G but wished I did as I travel quite a bit and it would be useful for a GPS and not necessarily having to sign up to an internet provider to check emails or briefly surf the net. That's also because I don't have alternatives such as blackberry or iPhone to pick up messages. Without 3G the iPad is great for work and home use.

8. kellio
    Original Member

kellio Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mine is 14 as well. I'm going to hold off on setting it up but is already whining about not having wifi at her dads house. I may have to give in on this one.

Plumber is on his way. Both showers wouldn't drain water this morning. Then water appeared in the carpeting in the hallway between both bathrooms.[​IMG]

9. kellio
    Original Member

kellio Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm in a fairly small town north of PHX - about 30k and fortunately almost all the coffee shops, restaurants etc. even our Micky D's has free wifi. I'm thinking I'll hold off on getting the data plan until I find it inconveniences ME!

Cholula likes this.
  10. Concerto
    Original Member

Concerto Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't have 3G on my iPad and have had no problems (so far!) -- at least, when I am traveling. There is free Wi-Fi at almost every airport now and all of the hotels where I have been staying have Wi-Fi, as well. With Wi-Fi at home, too, I just couldn't justify spending the additional money for the iPad with 3G and then having to get a data plan for it when I already have 3G on my iPhone. But, for a nominal monthly fee, I may look at the option of tethering the two...

11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I bought the WiFi-only model on day one and don't regret it at all. I already have enough monthly bills and don't need yet another data plan. My iPhone or my wife's EVO can always supply a WiFi hotspot signal if needed, but I usually have no problems finding free WiFi where I go.

When the new iPad 2 (or whatever they'll call it) comes out, I might get the 3G/4G version simply to have the option of using prepaid data SIMs abroad, but I would NOT sign up for a monthly service in the US.

Chimpy and Cholula like this.
  12. Cholula
    Original Member

Cholula Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    What I'm really looking forward to is when whole cities turn in to hot spots so that no matter where you are you have a wireless signal.

Some cities in the US are already offering this and I believe, for the most part, it's "free".

13. kellio
    Original Member

kellio Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sky Harbor has free wifi and I think the city of Tempe may have set it up as well. It would be nice to have it everywhere. I could then dump my DSL!

14. Cholula
    Original Member

Cholula Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The only problem yet with some of the citywide "free" WiFi's is that, reportedly, the service is slow and undependable. But maybe the technology will improve in the not-too-distant future.

15. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm waiting for the iPad2, which is in production right now. If I get that, I will be getting the Wi-Fi only model. I don't need that much connectivity with what I plan to use the iPad2 for.

That said, the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 that was announced at MWC today is pretty darn slick.

16. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Is there any reason not to get both? :)

Chimpy likes this.
  17. bluesky
    Original Member

bluesky Gold Member

Status Points:
    For normal people, plenty :)

18. Chimpy
    Original Member

Chimpy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will probably get both if I can sneak it past my wife. I love my ipad wifi but who is to say I can not love another. [​IMG]

19. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Who says I am "normal"? Muuhaha!

bluesky likes this.
  20. bluesky
    Original Member

bluesky Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ok, now I *know* you aren't [​IMG]

But none of the interesting people are!

21. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I have the wi-fi model but when the next version comes out, I will probably give mine to my mom and get a 3GS.

22. techguru
    Original Member

techguru Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have 3g model -- never use the 3g part in SFO its worthless. AT&T sucks just use wifi -- so next model wifi only. I can connect via my Sprint mifi no problem. If AT&T's network worked in SFO and Manhattan better it would be worth it. I guess its value depends on if you get decent data where you go. DCA its fine...

23. Pat89339
    Original Member

Pat89339 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can you direct me to instructions I could follow to have my iPhone supply a WiFi hotspot signal? Thanks!

24. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You need to jailbreak the iPhone first, then buy and use the MyWi app. (there may be other similar apps, but MyWi is the one I use, and I really haven't had the need to look around for others as it generally works well for me).

But before you go that route, have a look at

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/03/...-mobile-hotspot-capabilities-on-february-13t/

It looks like AT&T might offer this feature "natively" to make their version of the iPhone more competitive with Verizon.

Pat89339 likes this.
  25. Pat89339
    Original Member

Pat89339 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the quick reply! That seems the simplest thing to do since I have the unlimited data plan on my iPhone. Now I know I won't need to get the v2 3G.