iPad giveaway restrictions

Discussion in 'Community Center' started by viguera, Jun 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    An interesting write-up by Philip Elmer-DeWitt in his blog about how Apple seems to be paying more attention now to Apple product giveaways.

There has been a policy in place since January with regards to this, and it's fairly detailed at 2 pages long, but it's not well-publicized. Regardless, ignorantia juris non excusat -- as they say, so it might be worth keeping an eye on since "a few" iPads have been given away here.

The policy prohibits you from using the word "free" in any prominent way, and it requires that all promotional materials be submitted to Apple for review. :eek:

The article and PDF link to the policy are below...

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/06/01/apple-tries-to-put-the-kibosh-on-ipad-and-iphone-giveaways/

http://fortunebrainstormtech.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/apple_3pp_guidelines_1-1-11.pdf

2. PTravel
    Original Member

PTravel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Apple's policy is unenforceable under U.S. law.

lin821 and canucklehead like this.
  3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    You would think so, but with enough lawyers nothing is unenforceable. :)

They can (and probably do) have trolls scouring the internet -- just like RIM has patrolling youtube -- and issuing cease & desist letters to violators.

Exiled in Express likes this.
  4. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    I just ordered #36 and #37 iPads for members of milepoint (these for the winners in the Kiva membership drive). It has been a real challenge with the ordering restrictions but we've been able to make many members quite happy. AND, we actually worked with Apple Corporate to get ours ordered — they like us!

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    While I have LOTS of Apple devices (MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, iPod Nano, iPad 2, iPhone 4) and for the most part like using them, it's nonsense (IMHO) like this policy that will eventually drive me away from the Cult of Steve.

So I recently gave away for free my original iPad to my dad. Do I now have to review the emails I sent him about it to make sure they complied with Apple's guidelines? ;)

FetePerfection likes this.
  6. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would like your post, except that I haven't won an iPad here yet. :)

7. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    truth be told, i haven't won one either. Which means I can't even like myself. But there's always hope — milepoint is fairly generous to its members and I hear rumors of more iPads, but it's just rumors at this point.

8. FetePerfection
    Original Member

FetePerfection Silver Member

Status Points:
    Tell you what...I'll like you if you like me and maybe we'll both win an iPad! Wonder what we might win if we love each other!

9. RCyyz
    Original Member

RCyyz Silver Member

Status Points:
    How does one report unsubstantiated rumour-mongering here? :p :rolleyes:

10. BurBunny
    Original Member

BurBunny Silver Member

Status Points:
    In triplicate to the chief muckety muck (and bottle washer) for him to take appropriate action against said unsubstantiated rumor-monger. For a $25 Kiva contribution, you can watch said action :D

11. PTravel
    Original Member

PTravel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, no, not really. :)

And a cease & desist letter would be laughed at, assuming the recipients showed them to their own lawyers.

lin821 likes this.
  12. PTravel
    Original Member

PTravel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey, I volunteer to respond to any iPad-related cease-and-desist letters for you and Milepoint -- no charge (well, maybe just one iPad :)).