iPad case?

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by NYC_Gal, Apr 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. NYC_Gal
    Original Member

NYC_Gal Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can anyone recommend a good iPad case? I wanted a Smart Cover, but read reviews that the magnet is not strong enough, and the iPad will slide out.

Any comment about the Miniot one? The wood looks awesome. But not sure if it'll have the same problem as the Smart Cover. Also worried about the back not being covered. https://www.miniot.com/webshop/

2. Chimpy
    Original Member

Chimpy Gold Member

Status Points:
    savydog, JALPak and ACMM like this.
  3. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have the STM Skinny (http://www.radtech.us/Products/stm-skinny-ipad-case-with-stand.aspx). I like it though I wish it didn't have the flap that it locks with as it has the Smart Cover magnet feature and the top of the cover is locked down anyways when it is closed. I should also point out that I am on my second go around of the case which is working as advertised after the first one had problems with shutting off the iPad when the case was open.

If you look at the MacRumors forum under iPad accessories there are lots of cases listed and reviewed. That is where I found this.

4. Tivoboy
    Original Member

Tivoboy Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I still use pretty much all my previous ipad cases, the incase is nice, many other sleeves. I like Marware cases, they are leatheresque, and usually cheap (at least on amazon)

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just basically want the original iPad 1 case from Apple, just sized for the iPad 2 (i assume it wont fit perfectly since the iPad 2 is thinner).

Chimpy and DeltaExpert like this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Finding a case has suddenly (though not nexpetedly) become more urgent; my iPad 2 is finally on the way from China. There's an Apple store near my hotel, might look around to see what they have. I like to look/feel what I'll be handling every day for hours.

7. Looks like a nice case. I like the 'slim' aspect...I don't want something bulky.

As far as the flap, do you think it would be possible to use a razor to cut it off at the stitching? I like the case, but if it has a magnet, I'm thinking I wouldn't want the flap either.

8. emajy
    Original Member

emajy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got my wife the case with the Bluetooth keyboard built in. Her iPad is replacing most of what she used her notebook computer for.

9. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Which one exactly is that - do you have a link to the product please? Thanks!

10. emajy
    Original Member

emajy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Here are the links for both iPads on Amazon.
    iPad
    iPad2

bonnerbl and ACMM like this.
  11. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks much! 2.jpg

12. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    You could though you need the flap if you want to use it in the flipped back/slanted up position (the wide screen typing position for lack of a better description).

13. ShopAround
    Original Member

ShopAround Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is she happy with it? It looked good to me, but there are quite a few negative reviews.

14. emajy
    Original Member

emajy Silver Member

Status Points:
    So far she has been happy with it and it has worked as expected. It does add some weight but she does not travel much with it except between rooms in the house. :D

15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    So my iPad 2 finally arrived today (or rather, I picked it up from UPS after some extended delivery saga).

Time to find the perfect case that's similar to the original Apple iPad case. Thinking about Pixelskin HD Wrap for iPad 2 from Speck.

http://www.speckproducts.com/review/product/list/id/1605/

Anyone have that one?

(by the way, in case someone wonders... I just put my iPad 2 into my iPad 1 case and will use it that way for the next few days, but it's too big for permanent use. It slides around in it and the back "wobbles" because the new iPad2 is thinner than the old model)

16. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    That case looks very good. I may have to try it out. Looking at reviews on Amazon people seem to complain a little about its weight (9oz) and the fact that is lacking the smart cover features however.

17. GenevaFlyer
    Original Member

GenevaFlyer Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Hi,

ZAGG has some nice products too, including a Logitech keyboard + case for the iPad2.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer

18. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes, indeed. And combined with the fact that I couldn't have it quickly without paying for expensive shipping led me down the path of ordering this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004UDH29K

It will arrive tomorrow and I'll update this thread with my impressions.

19. chee4869

chee4869 Active Member

Status Points:
  20. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    So I got my "Acase EZ-Carry Polyurethane Case (ULTRA SLIM) Folio Stand" from Amazon today (see link above) and it's pretty much what I was looking for -- a case that's very similar to the original Apple iPad 1 case.

21. Tivoboy
    Original Member

Tivoboy Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
  22. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
  23. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    When I saw the picture, I was trying to imagine it on an airplane tray table... Too big for me as well.

24. CrankyScott
    Original Member

CrankyScott Silver Member

Status Points:
    ZooGue $49.99: Probably not the best name for a case, but its by far the best.

I had the first version and now the iPad 2. What I like most is that I can set the tilt for any angle. As an added bonus it supports the auto-magic cover sleep / wake function.

They are located at:http://www.zoogue.com and on Amazon for about $10 less.

25. Any other suggestions for slim cases? I like the STM skinny but still am not a fan of having a flap.