iPad 2 is out!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by lichenlt, Mar 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    [Quote from RedmondPie.com]

Finally the moment has arrived when you have something more than a rumor round up on the second generation iPad. The announcement of iPad 2 is probably the second most awaited moment of the year for Apple fans, first one being the launch of iPhone 5. Want to grab the second-gen iPad ASAP? We’ll guide you through everything you need to know.
    [​IMG]
    Availability
    Pre-Ordering
    You don’t want to want to get late, do you? iPad 2 is expected to run out of stock soon after the launch. If you want to be one of the first ones to grab this magical device, pre-order is the way to go. The first iPad was announced in end of January, while the shipment began in April. The pre-ordering for iPad 2 however starts real soon. How soon? 11th of March for the US and 25th for 26 other countries.
    [​IMG]
    Want to Get it Off Store?
    Sure, no problem. However, again, pre-order is the way to go if you plan to grab it on the launch date or you will have to get into the never ending queues at your nearest Apple store. The device is expected to be available on all Apple stores about a month after the pre-order
    Price and Features
    Price
    As speculated, the new product comes in the same price. Starting from $499, you will be charged for the amount of storage and type of connectivity you choose
    [​IMG]
    Dual Core A5 CPU (and Superfast Gaming Graphics)
    Speculations come true! That’s exactly how we thought the evolution of iPad is going to be and the Jobs announces dual core CPU. The CPU will be at-least 2x faster with the graphics as much as 9x.
    Thinner & Lighter
    Like we reported earlier, the new-gen iPad is really really thin and lighter too. As jobs puts it, despite adding so much to the original iPad, it’s still 33 percent thinner. The width has went from 13.4mm to 8.8mm which makes it even thinner than the iPhone 4.
    [​IMG]
    Colors (Black and White)
    Finally Apple has figured a way to make the product white without having to degrade the cam quality. With that Apple announces iPad 2 in white. Not only it’s announced, it will be available from the day one. Just because we highlighted the white one doesn’t mean the won’t offer it in black.
    [​IMG]

ACMM likes this.
  2. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Front Facing Camera for FaceTime
    Finally you can say good-bye to one-sided video calls as Apple officially introduces Facetime in iPad 2 with a front facing camera. Some people may argue that self-snapshots on a 10" tabletis plain weird but I think video calls on iPad will be so much more fun than iPhone. If you cando on TVs, why not on a tablet?
    [​IMG]
    HD Camera on Back for Shooting Videos in 720p
    Yup! There is a camera on the back too for shooting videos in 720p HD quality.
    Gyroscope
    With the built-in accelerometer, you can rotate iPad to portrait or landscape, or even upside down, and whatever you’re watching, reading, or seeing adjusts to fit the display. And now the accelerometer, three-axis gyroscope, and compass all work together. They sense which direction iPad is heading and how it’s moving. So games, maps, and other apps know your every twist, turn, tilt, and 360. It’s an epic win for gaming. And it’s just the beginning of better-than-ever iPad apps.​
    iOS 4.3
    iPad 2 will ship with the latest and greatest release of iOS to date, that is iOS 4.3, which will be available for download on March 11.
    3G on AT&T and Verizon
    Every iPad is built with advanced 802.11n wireless technology. It automatically finds Wi-Fi networks, which you can join with a few taps. iPad is also available with 3G connectivity on either AT&T or Verizon Wireless networks. So if you’re somewhere without Wi-Fi, such as outdoors on a camping trip or on the road, you can still surf the web, check email, or get directions.​
    Same Screen and Battery Life
    iPad is one big, beautiful display — 9.7 inches of high-resolution photos, movies, web pages, books, and more. LED backlighting makes everything you see remarkably crisp, vivid, and bright. Even in places with low light, like an airplane. And there’s no wrong way to hold iPad. It’s designed to show off everything in portrait and landscape, so with every turn (even upside down), the display adjusts to fit. Because it uses a display technology called IPS (in-plane switching), it has a wide, 178° viewing angle. Hold it up to someone across the room, or share it with someone sitting next to you, and everyone gets a brilliant view.
    Even with the new thinner and lighter design, iPad has the same amazing 10-hour battery life.1 That’s enough juice for one flight across the ocean, or onemovie-watching all-nighter, or a week’s commute across town. The power-efficient A5 chip and iOS keep battery life from fading away, so you can get carried away.​
    Accessories
    What do you get along? well, not a lot of stuff but these two handy accessories.
    HDMI 1080p Video Out
    Just for $39, you can now have HDMI on you iPad 2 which supports output upto 1080p. All you need is a cable. The real innovative part? It even charges your device while the cable is plugged.
    [​IMG]
    Image via Engadget
    Smart Cover
    Since the original iPad case completely covered the beautiful device, Apple introduces smart covers with iPad 2. It’s just a flap that covers the front of the iPad and sticks to it. The best part? Auto wakes up as you put it off and auto sleeps as you close it. The flap also has fiber cloth on it that cleans the screen. It sticks to the device by using magnets which is what lets it auto-align to the device’s screen. The smart cover are available in both Poly and Leather. Poly cases, both available in 5 colors each, will cost you about $39, leather covers being expensive and more elegant cost $69
    [​IMG]

and that’s all we have from iPad 2.

Delta Gazillion Miler and ACMM like this.
  3. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    and Randy has stated that the iPad 2 will be the ones given out to the daily winners!

4. Chimpy
    Original Member

Chimpy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Kaanapali, JALPak and lichenlt like this.
  5. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    great, only if I can win one[​IMG]

6. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I've seen that, looks pretty good. But I wonder what the RAM is, hopefully at least 512M

7. samh004
    Original Member

samh004 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pretty happy with the new specs, though not too fussed over the magnetic case, I’d prefer the old version. I guess I’ll have to see it in person and try it out before making a decision on that though.

Hoping I get lucky this month, but will probably be buying it in April if not. Shame though, really need to save my money for flying ;)

8. Wow i would love to win one as well good luck everyone.

Delta Gazillion Miler likes this.
  9. Bundy Bear
    Original Member

Bundy Bear Silver Member

Status Points:
    The new Ipad2 looks good but I am not about to rush out and buy one just yet while I still have a perfectly working Toshiba 10" netbook.

10. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The iPad2 is quite impressive. It heals the sick, raises the dead, and brings Steve Jobs back from medical leave. :cool:

Chimpy likes this.
  11. Cholula
    Original Member

Cholula Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Well he actually suggested it'll be the members choice. If they want it NOW, they can have the original. But if they don't mind waiting a few weeks they can have the 2nd Edition.

I'll wait. :)

Chimpy and Delta Gazillion Miler like this.
  12. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    You'll have to wait, buddy- my member number is one digit lower than yours, so I'm ahead of you in line to get one of these gidgets.

13. Cholula
    Original Member

Cholula Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Make that "gadgets". :p

It's Dovster who covets Gidgets.

14. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the clarification

ETA: Actually, he says in this thread that he is shipping the iPad 2.

15. WaterSki
    Original Member

WaterSki Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can't wait to preorder! I want it now!

16. annerj
    Original Member

annerj Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nice! this means the price on the ipad1 will go down!

I have no problem being a generation behind.

17. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    seems you can't preorder, either order online on 3/11, or wait in line at an apple store

18. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have 4 pawas - does that mean I need 4 iPad 2's? ;) I want one anyway!!!! Plan to get one as soon as I can.

19. hmoniaga

hmoniaga Active Member

Status Points:
    not much improvement from its predecessor though, imho

20. Delta Gazillion Miler
    Original Member

Delta Gazillion Miler Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nah, just dramatically faster, thinner and lighter than iPad1. Two cameras, a gyroscope and lots of other new bells and whistles. All this for no extra charge. Now available also in white and with a snazzy new magnetic self-positioning cover. And it kicks the butt of any other tablet on the market in any way you want to measure it.

But other than that, not much change I'll agree. [​IMG]

Chimpy and Points like this.
  21. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Apple just announced that anyone who bought an iPad1 in the past two weeks can go back to the store with their receipt and get $100 back to make up for having overpaid for outdated stuff.

Points likes this.
  22. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    two weeks? what about those bought 15 days ago? LOL

Gargoyle and Bob Smolinsky like this.
  23. Chimpy
    Original Member

Chimpy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I could not of said it better myself. :)

24. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    I guess people are just disappointed with the unchanged screen resolution, undisclosed camera specs (2M pixels?), etc. But to me, it's good enough since I'm only using it to play games, stream video, and surfing the internet.

25. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had heard some comments that this should be called the iPad 1.5 as the real iPad 2 would be out in December 2011 and would be of course outstanding ... ;) Have to love rumours ... as for me I will get the iPad 2 and then the 3 if it comes out ... why not! :)