IOS 7. Is it better?

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by jbcarioca, Sep 18, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Now have about a half hour of use with IOS 7 on my iPad. Obviously I have not even begun to scratch the surface of features but I have some initial impressions. First, everything is much sharper and crisper and easier to read. Second, it's easier to avoid my ubiquitous typos. Third, my photos are vastly improved visually. Fourth, the icons take getting used to because they look hollowed out and slightly ephemeral. Fifth, books and magazines are far easier to read now, and can be easier read with a smaller type size than I had been using.

Setting up was easy, and has a few new options for security and convenience that I like.

It will take a while before I have strong opinions, but so far I really like the improved crispness and visibility.

I downloaded and installed about an hour after the window opened, with three aborted downloads, but it resumed from the failed point. I have a 35 MB connection but the Apple site was obviously swamped. I'll tackle the iPhones sometime during the next few days.

How has your first day been?

2. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've installed it, and figure I'll hate it for the next week or so no matter what. Hoping to find some new features I enjoy.

mo26, jbcarioca, edekba and 1 other person like this.
  3. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Keep it coming.

One of my vendor's app is not yet out of beta; so I will wait till mid-October before I make a move. I wish I had a spare gizmo to play with :(

mo26 and jbcarioca like this.
  4. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've found the new control center (bottom-up swipe) very helpful.

I hate the new folders - I've lost real-estate, but figure with some good pruning I'll find a more effective way to work.

I'm utterly annoyed that a left-to-right swipe on a message in my email list changes pages now instead of deleting it, and I have to go right-to-left now and it's not configurable. Grrr...

The new mail client, especially the addition of an Unread folder, rocks.

The new Maps app is much cleaner and simpler.

Auto-updates for apps. Yay! Finally!

OceanBreezes, sobore, mo26 and 2 others like this.
  5. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can that be turned off so that one doesn't end up with usurious charges while traveling the world on limited data packages?

OceanBreezes, sobore, mo26 and 2 others like this.
  6. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    yes it can be user configured. I checked that prior to upgrading because of all my various data plan limits. There are instructions if you google "app update options ios 7" or the equivalent.

7. clscholes

clscholes Silver Member

Status Points:
    As a creative who has many friends who hated the beta version of this, I love it. I know they despised the graphic design side of OS7, but I actually think it is even cleaner than in the past. The bottom up swipe functions may be worth the entire update, as well as the auto-updates (unless you are out of range...then turn it off). Overall, I am pleased so far.

OceanBreezes and jbcarioca like this.
  8. infamousdx

infamousdx Silver Member

Status Points:
    Being both an iPhone and Android owner, I don't hate ios7. Is it better than 6? Yes. Is it a LOT better? Meh, not really.

These are just incremental updates from Apple stealing ideas from Jailbreak apps or Android. They haven't made a splash in a while.

bigx0 and jbcarioca like this.
  9. moongoddess

moongoddess Silver Member

Status Points:
    I won't be installing this for at least two weeks as I don't want to risk bricking my phone or my iPad right before I go out of town. Why do these HUGE updates always get released right when I'm about to go on a lengthy trip? Still, I suppose it means everything will be tweaked by the time I go to install it., which is good.

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:

For what it's worth, my updates went smoothly. See my advice in NetworkWorld and CIO Magazine, though (and note that the editors didn't update the version of iTunes, which is now 11.1).

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. moongoddess

moongoddess Silver Member

Status Points:
    Glad to hear your install went well, Mike. I'm just nervous about updating right before a lengthy international trip, because I know I won't have time to troubleshoot if something doesn't go right before I have to run off and catch my plane. And if I wait until I get back, I can drive over to the Apple Store and play with the new OS over there before I update my own devices. (Seems there are quite a few folks out there who don't like the new look from what I'm reading online. Better to find out if I'm one of them before I install it!) I'm perfectly happy with the performance of iOS 6, so it's not like I need to rush. I just hate looking at that red 1 sitting on the System icon begging me to update!

anileze and jbcarioca like this.
  12. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do hate that too. OTOH I don't do updates of anything major unless I know I have the time to troubleshoot if needed.
    I did the iTunes updates before installing IOS 7 also. So far all has still been smooth for me. I know some people dislike the translucent icons, and I still am nit adjusted to them. BTW, I updated another iPad today, which took a total of 15 minutes for download and install. Waiting does improve downloads! surprise!

anileze likes this.
  13. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just discovered a big issue, at least for me. With IOS 7 you're not able to associate with a new App Store ID more frequently than every 90 days and never with more than one at a time. That is a major hassle when one travels and has four Apple ID's in four countries, each of which has local apps for finance, transit, traffic conditions etc. All of them I want to keep up to date. I'll file this with Apple today. Anybody else who cares please do it too. This must change immediately! I'm now associated with Brazil and only Brazil for the next 90 days on my iPad. Luckily I did not yet make that error on my iPhone nor on Mrs. jbc's.

anileze and Mike Reed like this.
  14. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:

Wow, that's new. I'll dig into that... I hadn't seen that documented anywhere. Good find, bad circumstances.

Confirmed: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4627

15. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    The oddity for me was that in all previous IOS versions there was not a forced time-limited association. Thus I routinely signed in and out of each country where ever I was when I needed something offered in only one country. All the apps still worked wherever I was but they would not update without being signed in to the correct associated id. That is now not only gone but totally defeats any effort to workaround because the timer is independent of signin. Thus right now I cannot access my US-specific Apple id content on my iPad for another 90 days.

I made a service request. It's probably not going to be a simple fix since they went to a lot of trouble to intentionally install this defect. Obviously they thought of it as a security enhancement.

Imagine what they'd do if they ever caught up with the Asian cheap smartphone crowd and enabled multiple sims? I hate carrying around my sims, now nine of them. There are several phones around that will hold up to four, but those aren't the phones I want.

anileze likes this.
  16. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've always wondered this - how do you handle incoming calls. Doesn't each SIM include a different local phone number? What if someone calls your number for a SIM you're not using?

17. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ah, that is a mildly complex series of answers. Simply, using Vonage, my VOIP carrier, I have several different local numbers that include most places to which I travel regularly. My contacts use those numbers, which I then forward to whichever number I am using for mobile or fixed. One Vonage forward can be used for all the numbers. As a result, (with the exception of Brazil personal calls that I do not forward) anybody can reach me anywhere without needing multiple numbers. The only complexity is for me to remember to do the forwarding.

Just in case I do forget, I just have one VM to check because nobody actually has the local sim numbers anyway.

I hope that helps explain it. It was hell before voip became globally accessible with a single account.

18. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:

Okay, I do something similar with Google Voice. Perfect.

19. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I first did it with Grand Central but switched to Vonage long before it became mature and morphed into Google Voice. How does it work? I wonder if i ought to switch again.:confused:

anileze likes this.
  20. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:

How do you do that ? Meaning, that my Grand Central/GV number came be forwarded to my local caribbean, or UK number ? But I was under the impression, maybe wrongly so, that Grand central/GV did not forward SMS to non-US number ?

jbcarioca likes this.
  21. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:

I'm only using it in the US, so I'm not sure, internationally.

22. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    That was why I moved from Grand Central to Vonage in the first place. With Vonage you can forward anywhere although you pay whatever fee is specified in your plan, in my case nothing extra for most countries.

anileze likes this.
  23. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:

Thanks. Would you PM me your bug number so that I can also file and reference it?

jbcarioca likes this.
  24. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Apple does not consider it to be a bug. It us a feature, they say, to provide better security. I'll tell you what they say in response to my lea to alter their 'feature'.

25. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ahh, if you create an account using an Apple ID on developer.apple.com and then file via bugreport.apple.com, you'll have the real internal bug number.

jbcarioca likes this.