iOS 6.0 - No Public Transportation in Maps

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by edekba, Sep 19, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Apparently Apple's new Maps app on iOS 6.0 is new & shiny but for me the #1 problem is that it doesn't have any public transportation information/routes/schedules in it like gMaps had.

Does anyone know of a good alternative ... I want to upgrade to iOS 6 but w/o public transport maps I know I shouldn't.

2. The Boat
    Original Member

The Boat Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can go to maps.google.com, which will load in Safari as the mobile optimized version. I also think that Google has a maps app too.

macbookguy and edekba like this.
  3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's what I was thinking too... I know that Apple has replaced the default maps application, but it was my understanding that Google Maps was installable from the App Store. Even though Google is playing hardball with their overall platform and I know that Android will get the better upgrades before anyone else.

edekba likes this.
  4. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    super slow :(

I wasn't sure if gMaps was installable under iOS 6.0

macbookguy and The Boat like this.
  5. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not yet. Keep waiting.

edekba likes this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
  7. The Boat
    Original Member

The Boat Gold Member

Status Points:
    The new maps interface uses data primarily from TomTom, which is really nice as it shows why a delay is there, instead of a red line.

macbookguy, secretsea18 and Gargoyle like this.
  8. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    You might have found this already, but can help others too

http://gizmodo.com/5944693/the-best-public-transportation-apps-for-ios-6

9. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    macbookguy and The Boat like this.
  10. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm thinking of buying a iPhone 5 (still using a 3) so this is very interesting.

macbookguy likes this.
  11. The Boat
    Original Member

The Boat Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another handy app that I use (if you drive in the NYC area) is the MTA EZTravel which has the current wait times and speeds for the bridges and tunnels.

macbookguy, rwoman and edekba like this.
  12. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Drive in NYC? you crazy

13. The Boat
    Original Member

The Boat Gold Member

Status Points:
    I normally find taking the Merritt to the Bronx River Parkway or the Sprain Parkway to be easier than taking the Metro-North as from New Haven it is closer to 2 hours to get into the city.

macbookguy likes this.
  14. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm in Norwalk and work downtown so I'm lucky enough to skirt the bulk of the traffic in the core, so whether I drive or take Metro North it takes me about the same time.

If anything driving is easier because even after I get out of the train I still have to deal with the subway and its own set of problems.

macbookguy and Gargoyle like this.
  15. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    But, but, but, if you can afford the New Apple Products, do you really want to use Public Transportation (the horrors!)

:D

16. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    yes :)

Don't gotta buy new products to get new software ...

macbookguy and USAF_Pride like this.
  17. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    You do if you have the original iPad. :)

macbookguy likes this.
  18. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Didn't you mean to say: if you spend all your money on Apple products, isn't public transportation the only thing you can afford afterwards? :)

I've found the Google Maps public transportation feature useful on occasions. I'll probably upgrade my iPad to iOS6 first to see how I like it before I make the switch on my iPhone 4S.

19. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was downloading iOS 6 for my 4S last night and it errored out. I did not restart since I'd rather wait to see on the maps issue, as well as see others' feedback on iOS 6!

Thanks all for continuing to provide input...I like making informed decisions.

:)

macbookguy and edekba like this.
  20. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    I upgraded last night and the maps experience was my largest hesitation. I think the new maps app looks way better, but its traffic data is lacking and does not seem as precise as googles when I was comparing them this morning. Also the lack of transit directions is also upsetting. The good news is that Google has an awesome web interface for maps and in some ways I would even say it is better than the old app. I know some people have an aversion to using web vs a native app, I don't quite know why, but give it a try ( don't forget it is easy to add a link to the home screen even). You don't even have to upgrade to do so and you can see what your backup map will look like.

macbookguy and anabolism like this.
  21. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think that's one of the biggest gripes that people have had with iOS 6 from the days of the beta release. There were complaints from all sides, but now the public knows that the new Maps suck. :)

It's typical Apple though, form over function. The app looks gorgeous, but it's terrible.

You can understand what they're doing though... they can't keep holding hands with Google in that regards and looking at them with a crooked eye at the same time. They are competitors after all, and it benefits Apple to have control over that particular piece of software, just as it does for them to have control over the default browser and email client.

Makes me wonder though, how long before regulators decide to step in with the "choice" rhetoric again and make them give users more choices. They fought with Microsoft for a decade to have them give users choices about which browser is included by default in the OS, so I wonder when they're going to start looking at Apple (or Android, or anybody else) to give you the same choice in the mobile space.

macbookguy likes this.
  22. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The effective browser monopoly that Apple has on the iPad/iPhone seems to be a similar situation as the IE case.

viguera likes this.
  23. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seems like it to me... there are plenty of alternatives, from Firefox to now Chrome and others that have been around for a while, but when you buy your phone it comes with Safari by default, and you have to actually go and download a different browser.

Worst yet, some apps don't recognize third party browsers and will open hyperlinks or web content in Safari anyway. Perhaps because the browser is tied up into the OS and it's an integral part? I'm sure that sounds familiar to anybody that followed the MS debacle.

macbookguy likes this.
  24. Bhsu21

Bhsu21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The new maps is not as good. I grew to love and use Google maps especially when traveling and needing public transit info. Rumor is Google is creating their own maps app.

macbookguy likes this.
  25. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    In Android 4.0 (if not earlier versions), when you click on a link and it attempts to open something else, it asks you what program you want to use to open, and gives you the opportunity to choose whether you want that to be the default action when you click on hyperlinks in the future or not.

iOS6 also still doesn't allow for widgets either. I like scrolling over to my "weather/traffic" page on my DRM, and seeing the radar on a map immediately, as well as the stop light widget that has my preferred route home from work under the hood; the light shows up as red/green/orange to tell me how bad the traffic situation is on my way home, and if it's orange/red, I can click again to pull up google maps traffic to see where slowdowns might be occurring to change my route home. The fact that I would be forced to enter an app or open a browser from the start for many of those things just screams dated to me.