iOS 4 devices secretly tracking your location

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by viguera, Apr 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    All the rage on the internet today... it seems like since the introduction of iOS 4 last year all iPhones, iPads and iPhone Touch devices have been secretly logging your location, even if LBS is disabled, to an unencrypted database on the device which is then backed up to your PC when you use iTunes.

The data contains all location information (using triangulation) down to the second, and nobody seems to know why this is. Of course the old adage of "if you don't have anything to hide" might apply, but I for one would rather be given the option to disable this sort of functionality, or at least be notified that it's taking place.

http://gizmodo.com/#!5793925/your-iphone-is-secretly-tracking-everywhere-youve-been

[​IMG]

2. joanek
    Original Member

joanek Silver Member

Status Points:
    There was a very detailed article in the Guardian, too. Including a link to a site with a very good explanation of the issue.

Lalala likes this.
  3. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's why I have a Nokia N900...fully open source OS means there's nothing to hide from me :)
    At the same time....
    If someone has physical access to my device, its game over in regards to keeping my data private. Plus I could care less if someone could find out where I've been, its not like I go to strip joints or liquor stores :p

Freddie Listo likes this.
  4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    In a way that's true, but it doesn't make the privacy issue any less serious... with access to this data -- not to mention the unencrypted copy that's on your machine that perhaps someone could swipe remotely with malware -- someone could find out that you always get home at 9pm on Thursdays, as opposed to 6pm, and decide the best time to rob your house. :)

5. Freddie Listo
    Original Member

Freddie Listo Gold Member

Status Points:
    You mean, I think, you don't go to those places when you're in class, in the lab, or studying . . . ;)

6. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    Someone needs to get to the bottom of this....an unencrypted copy this data sounds fishy!
    You are right though, it wouldn't be hard to exploit safari to upload that data onto a remote server...et volia, robbery time!

7. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    :eek::eek::oops:
    Now now FL! I only go downtown to plane spot! Honest! :D

Freddie Listo likes this.
  8. Freddie Listo
    Original Member

Freddie Listo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Likely story!