Involuntary Credit Limit increases

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by boondr, Nov 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. boondr

boondr Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am getting ready for my next round of cards and took a look at my credit reports. It seems that Chase increased my limit on my CSP by $3000 for reasons unknown in the last week. I have 4 personal cards with them and a total available credit that exceeds 60k on those cards, the CSP did have the lowest limit and one of two I use regularly but I never even exceeded a 50% utilization rate on the card and only surpassed 30% for the time it took a new payment to clear (no statement processed above 25%). Why would they increase my limit without request and can this hurt me in my next round of Apps?

-data point across all my cards my utilization from month to month reports at less than 3%

2. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bank of America has done this to me twice. I don't know why they did it, and I really don't care, as there was no hit on my credit report. If anything, it may have helped my score a little, as my overall spending remained the same, but my percentage of credit utilization went down.

boondr likes this.
  3. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    When they do this, if you don't want the incease you can call them and they'll lower it back.

boondr likes this.
  4. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can also request when you activate your card that they disable any automatic increase checks. I do that for all the cards where I don't plan to hang onto them after the annual fee comes due.

boondr, rodeojones and Counsellor like this.
  5. rodeojones

rodeojones Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is there a way to do that after you have activated the card? Maybe in the account settings?

boondr likes this.
  6. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've never found that option available online no matter which bank it's through - before I started doing it at activation, I only found out the option existed when trying to lower the limit on my oldest NAF card that I don't use often. I suspect you have to call customer service to do it.

boondr and rodeojones like this.
  7. WhiteDesert

WhiteDesert Silver Member

Status Points:
    It just happened to me as well last month. Chase increased my CSP and my Freedom limits without any initiation on my part (5K for both cards). I'm fine with that.

miles and smiles likes this.
  8. Voodard

Voodard Active Member

Status Points:
    CLI's initiated by the bank usually occur when they are doing their annual evaluation of your interest rate.

9. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    A long time ago I called to have a limit decreased......the rep had no idea how to do it. They were only used to increase requests. It was kind of comical.

LETTERBOY likes this.