Invol downgrade due to mechanical

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by spkg, Feb 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. spkg
    Original Member

spkg Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was traveling SAN-LAX-IAD today.

My SAN-LAX flight was delayed due to a mechanical, and as a result I missed my LAX-IAD flight, which I was confirmed in business class on a three cabin 777.

I got rebooked on a later LAX-IAD flight, there was still F space when the agent rebooked, but I was put in economy, and not even in Y bucket. I ended up not clearing the upgrade, and arrived 4 hours later then scheduled. The agent at IAD told me there was nothing she can do because my original upgrade was "free" anyways. This is in stark contrast to what I've experienced before. I was just wondering is this something new, or is it suppose to be like this and I just got lucky last time.

2. gomike
    Original Member

gomike Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nothing new, that is how it is and IMO should be. You should complain about going MX though and your delay.

3. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    Send an email to UA. You should end up with an e-cert for the troubles

4. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you were supposed to be in C on UA950 today, thanks! I believe I was among the last to clear this morning as CO Plat on a cheapie fare. :D

(were you originally in 13B, by chance?)

5. spkg
    Original Member

spkg Silver Member

Status Points:
    UA950, you got it. but, I was suppose to be in 8J, at least I known someone cool got my upgrade space. (Yes, anyone who uses MilePoint is automatically Cool)

chrislacey, EWR764 and Flyer1976 like this.
  6. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The man!

7. Why would you expect to be booked into full Y? Did you purchase full Y?

Aboutn the upgrade, you got what you paid for. In the past, UA would give a CR-1 for a domestic downgrade once already upgraded (SWU for Region 2). But this practice is ridiculous, and I'm glad to see it's going away.

8. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    The general rule of thumb in IRROPs is that we get rebooked into "Y", so if we need to make further changes to our itinerary or decide to bag the trip altogether we will get refunded. If we were not rebooked into Y, then we would not be treated as an IRROPs passenger making it more difficult for us to get our refund if we bag the trip or make necessary changes to our itinerary.

That is for everybody not just elites, however it does push us up on the upgrade list and is common among airlines...

So, since the delay caused a misconnect, the OP should have been rebooked into Y.

spkg and tjtenor4 like this.
  9. spkg
    Original Member

spkg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, you're the first person to defend me yet. I usually do get booked into Y, so I'm sure (or at least hope) this is just a one off.

My concern is more about being flying economy after being confirmed for an upgrade. I know its "Free", but its not like its an OpUp, I mean its a published benefit for being an elite. For all of you who think I should be confirmed in F when rebooked, consider this scenario, You're confirmed in F waiting to board, and a last minute passenger wants to pay for a F ticket, but the cabin is already full. The TA bumps you down to economy and give your seat to the other passenger, would that be something acceptable to you? In fact UA has exact guide lines in situation just like this with oversold F cabins and invol downgrades. I don't see how a downgrade due to a mechanical is any different.

10. pseudosphere
    Original Member

pseudosphere Silver Member

Status Points:
    I believe SOP is to rebook into the original booking code, but most agents are lazy and will just put you in Y because that's the easiest thing for them to do. Most of the time you get lucky and get Y, but you are not entitled to it at all.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  11. Minnesota Bruin
    Original Member

Minnesota Bruin Silver Member

Status Points:
    Bolding mine.

Can you please post the details of this? I recently was confirmed Y-F upgrade, was unable to get BP (got DM card for confirmed in first instead) and was told at the gate that F was oversold and I wouldn't get a seat. No plane change, no schedule change, and no compensation for this 1K.

12. spkg
    Original Member

spkg Silver Member

Status Points:
    actually I just checked and it looks like the set of rule i have is no long valid after the introduction of unlimited upgrades so i guess no point posting it.

13. I've seen this done too...A few months ago I purchased a last minute (approx 4 hrs before departure) C fare BOS-IAD-GRU (with an F domestic segment) and recieved a DM card. At the gate it looked as if they pulled someones upgrade (presumably an UDU) and gave their seat to me. It was a pretty tacky event since the GA called us both up at the same time gave the ex-first guy an Y BP and me an F BP -- It was only from BOS to IAD so I don't think he really cared. I think they've gotten better at this since it appears they are holding more F class seats back till T-0:30, but I think they're almost always willing to oversell F when there is revenue to be had (even with a cabin full of UDUers)

I think the downgrade rules only apply to your purchased class of service and it all goes out the window for upgrades. I don't think UA considers it a downgrade to rescind an upgrade.

I've been INVOL downgraded from C to Y on a purchased C Fare and got a refund for the difference between the C and Y fares (It was only a few hundred $s between C and Full Y). IMHO it should be from C to the lowest Y-class that was available when you booked your C fare but UA claims they don't keep those sorts of records (BS). I also got an e-cert but only after complaining about the above -- it was not automatic.

I think the SOP is to put you on the FFCC standby list (i.e. ahead of upgrades) and if you don't clear provide the fare difference (or perhaps offer to rebook on a flight with availably in your class).