Investigation: Pipe bomb seized, yet pax still allowed to board

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by MSYgirl, Jan 14, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    [article] Not sure if this was previously reported, but this update was posted today:

A man who had a pipe bomb in his carry-on bag was still allowed to board his international flight from Edmonton last fall, even after screening officers seized the explosive device from him.

Skylar Murphy, 18, pleaded guilty last month to possession of an explosive substance in connection with the September incident at the Edmonton International Airport.

He was sentenced to a year of probation and fined $100.

Photos
    [​IMG]
    A man who had a pipe bomb in his carry-on bag was still allowed to board his international flight from Edmonton last fall.

[​IMG]
    Skylar Murphy, 18, pleaded guilty last month to possession of an explosive substance in connection to an incident at an Edmonton airport.

When screening officers found what court documents describe as black powder and a pipe bomb inside the passenger’s carry-on bag on Sept. 20, 2013, they seized the suspicious items but still allowed him to board an international flight.

It wasn’t until four days later that Canada’s Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) called the RCMP.

Three days after that, on Sept. 27, Murphy was arrested upon his return to Canada. CATSA would not reveal his travel destination.

2. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:

[​IMG]

3. bigeyejim

bigeyejim Active Member

Status Points:
    Hey, I'm no one-upper, but I had to try out my skills at inserting memes. Good day! LOL

[​IMG]

4. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ya can't fix stupid. Additional training?

Newscience, Travelsavant and goalie like this.
  6. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:

7. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hey-at least they found it as the TSA would have missed it only to be found at a connecting airport ;)

8. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm getting ready for tomorrow's news release by the US Govt that they are now banning all Canadian aircraft's.

Newscience, LETTERBOY and MSYgirl like this.
  9. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    All I can hear in my head after reading this is the South Park song "Blame Canada." :D

gregm, Newscience, icurhere2 and 4 others like this.
  10. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    If someone's f****** stupid enough to pull something like this, the only training they need is how to file for unemployment benefits.

Newscience and Sammich like this.
  11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    My "additional training" was a quote from the article. I agree, no job training can qualify this person for the job they were supposed to do.

Newscience, icurhere2 and Sammich like this.
  12. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can't spell CATSA without "TSA."

Newscience, icurhere2 and Sammich like this.
  13. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is also curious that the subsequent punishment is so minimal (probation + $100 fine) considering where the pipe bomb was headed for (loaded aircraft) regardless of the reason provided.

14. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    Newscience and MSYgirl like this.
  15. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    we could always declare war ;-)

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0109370/

Newscience and MSYgirl like this.
  16. icurhere2
    Original Member

icurhere2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Newscience, Sammich and MSYgirl like this.
  17. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is what happens when you hire people for very low wages in a high-income economy to do a sensitive job that requires a bit of sense. If the CATSA agent had the creativity to call the police after finding a pipe bomb he would be working somewhere else for more money. The fundamental problem here is not the agent, but the decision to outsource security for as little money as possible.

Newscience, Sammich and MSYgirl like this.
  18. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Doesn't explain the judge's generous slap on the wrist.

19. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, that's explained by the approach to sentencing. As one caller to our local radio station put it, the kid is an idiot, not a terrorist, and being an idiot isn't against the law. Apparently he and a friend made a couple of pipe bobs to see if they could, blew one up in a test and then he simply forgot the other one was in his bag. Obviously he shouldn't have made the pipe bomb, shouldn't have left it in his bag, should have looked at what was in the bag before heading to the airport. But from one perspective it's no different from someone having a loaded gun in a carry on that he just forgot was there. (Except the gun might be legal, whereas the pipe bomb wouldn't.) He doesn't appear to have had any intention of using the bomb on the plane or at his destination. He's just lucky it wasn't caught after his flight.

All in all, a year's probation and a fine keep this guy on a short leash to learn not to be an idiot without unnecessarily putting someone in prison. If his story is true, then it's not a bad sentence, and if it's not true then we'll find that out soon enough.

20. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    I always believe in second chances but I also believe in appropriate punishment, which should reflect the gravity of the situation. Even If we were to ignore the claimed facts on how the materials for the bomb was acquired, should the judge not have considered the possibility of the bomb going off in mid air and sentence accordingly? The disappointing security is a whole different mess altogether.

Newscience likes this.
  21. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    If the guilty plea got him a criminal record, that's already a serious consequence without a single day in jail. I can't comment on what the judge should consider, but I imagine the sentencing guidelines were followed.

Newscience likes this.
  22. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    Edmonton airport screener opened pipe bomb
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/edmonton-airport-screener-opened-pipe-bomb-1.2508824?cmp=rss

icurhere2 likes this.
  23. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    M-kay

24. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Fair points. I wouldn't want the guy to go to Guantanamo for the rest of his life as a "terrorist". Reading the subsequent post about the screeners, I don't know who needs a harsher punishment for stupidity...

YULtide likes this.
  25. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd say the harshest penalty should go to the person who decided to outsource security to the lowest bidder.