Invest in an Ex-SE Asia Pre-Positioning Ticket

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by beaubo, Feb 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. beaubo
    Original Member

beaubo Silver Member

Status Points:
    The biggest mileage run bang for your buck both in terms of money, time, comfort and mileage maximizing, is the cherished international Business Class itin. While terrific ex-USA fare sales tend to pop up around Thanksgiving/Xmas/New Years to Europe, such fares are typically on offer close to year-round ex-SE Asia (BKK, MNL, KUL, PNH, HKG, CMB). Great 'bucket shops' can be found in BKK, HKG.

So, suck it up and buy a (gasp!) Economy fare to SE Asia/Mideast, with a 364 day return date. Then, on day 363, rebook the ticket for another 363 days ahead for the change fee. And wah-lah, you have have a 2 year window to take advantage of plentiful fare Business Class fare sales ex-SE Asia/Mideast.

Plus, great and affordable actual vacation destinations in proximity to boot while you are there.

Most extreme example back in the day- NYC-CMB roundtrip in F was about $12,000, but CMB-NYC roundtrip in F was about $2700.

2. Seems like most of the good deals out of CMB no longer exist. It used to be one of the top places to obtain great fares.

3. work2fly
    Original Member

work2fly Silver Member

Status Points:
    As an alternative to buying a one-way ticket, some mileage programs allow one-way awards.

4. spkg
    Original Member

spkg Silver Member

Status Points:
    $2700 is very good fare for F, but unless your crediting to BD, the CPM is still too high for my tastes, plus adding in the cost of the the positioning fare as well as all the change fees, its simply not worth it for me.

5. BA oneway award is the best way.
    and there are lots of great ex asia fares!

6. eightblack
    Original Member

eightblack Silver Member

Status Points:
    EK's premium fares ex CMB are still fantastic value - especially if you are based in Asia. An example - CMB to JFK in J is approx US$4000.

SIN-JFK in J is approx US$7800

The downside is a stop in CMB - but the SIN-DXB flight goes via CMB anyway. From DXB in both the above cases, you're on the same A380.

If you're going from SIN, all you need to do is buy a cheap SIN-CMB-SIN ticket, which is around $350. I know what option I would take, everytime.

7. Eorpa
    Original Member

Eorpa Active Member

Status Points:
    Which bucket shop do you use here in HK?

Cheers,
    B