Introducing the New AAdvantage Participant Guide

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by AmericanAirlines, Jun 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. AmericanAirlines

AmericanAirlines Official Representative

Status Points:
    Good morning Milepointers!

On Friday (July 1st, 2011) we will be launching the hard copy of our first ever AAdvantage Participant Guide, which will be onboard our domestic aircraft during the month of July.

While many of you may already know every detail contained in this guide backwards and forwards, we wanted to share this with you before giving it a full release. Plus, who knows – you might discover a few new ways to earn some miles!

This is something new we’re doing, so we’d appreciate any feedback you might have in the event we decide to do additional editions.

So, for your viewing pleasure, our brand new AAdvantage Participant Guide!

http://bit.ly/aadvearnmp (look for the “AAdvantage Participant Guide” link at the bottom of the page)
    http://bit.ly/aadvguide (direct to the PDF)

2. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Very nicely done. And I did learn something. Thanks.

3. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Excellent brochure and thanks for the heads up!!

4. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Interesting idea to have these in seatbacks. Actually, a pretty smart idea—congrats. Appreciate the info.

5. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:
    Excellent!!! Congrats!!!

MyMiles&Points and JohnDeere19 like this.
  6. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another great step by AA...well done.

MyMiles&Points likes this.
  7. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looks good.

I see quite a few random low resolution partner icons, such as on the shopping the Staples logo is low resolution, and the USA Today/Sky Mall logos on page seven, etc.

8. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is extremely helpful.

9. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    Very informative and a smart move. I'm sure the intention is to attract more travelers and loyalty to the program and it definitely should given that a large percentage of the public is not aware of these earning opportunities.

One thing that I noticed is that it excludes what you can do with your miles once you earn them. Perhaps this was a tactical decision done intentionally since the revenue gain to AA would be in selling more miles to partner companies. However, some information on spending the miles would be informative if that is the pure intent. ;)

10. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    This is a bit of a tangent suggestion, but I figured I'd offer it up:

When I checked in at the Taj Samudra in Colombo last week, I saw a sign that said I could earn AAdvantage miles for the stay. The Taj brand's website even lists AAdvantage as a partner with quite a few hotels available for earning. LINK.

I'm sure that every hotel chain can't be fit into the limited space of the brochure, but I noticed that Taj isn't listed on the AA.com hotel earning partner page either. You do seem to have an extra space available on the hotel section though....

Just a small suggestion for clarification. If Taj lists it and AA doesn't, it makes it confusing. :)

MyMiles&Points and Microwave like this.
  11. travelingmore
    Original Member

travelingmore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice product - and nicely done.

12. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice. Would like to have a wallet sized card, tho.

13. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    It would have to have a few fold-outs otherwise it wouldn't have room to say anything at all.....:D

14. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice to see this will be in seatbacks. It is a slick looking marketing guide. I hope it helps people see what many of us here already see.

MyMiles&Points and travelingmore like this.
  15. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    And from "the other side" ;), I think this is a terrific idea. Simple and to the point. How many people don't futz around with the "stuff" in the set pocket in front of them-it's a no brainer along the lines of "if you built it, they will come" morphed into "if you put it there, they will read it".

MyMiles&Points and Tenmoc like this.
  16. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree. It is brilliant marketing. The design was simple and yet covers the vast majority of ways to earn miles. And since AA sells the miles to these partners, it has to help.

But I couldn't help thinking of the tv news clips where they show all these promises with award travel and then they fall flat when you go to buy your "free" trip.

MyMiles&Points and goalie like this.
  17. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bolding mine: True-but we know better, right? ;)

MyMiles&Points and Tenmoc like this.
  18. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh yeah. Just got a lesson in BA surcharges on an award.

19. AmericanAirlines

AmericanAirlines Official Representative

Status Points:
    Huge thanks for all the great feedback so far! Linda on our team worked very hard on the guide, so she appreciates the compliments. We've got answers to a couple points raised above, but please keep the feedback coming!

iolaire - Thanks for letting us know! We looked in to those logos, and in the process learned more about graphic design than we ever could have imagined there was to know! Who knew? We’re going to experiment with a high res digital version, but won’t swap it out if we think you’d be unhappy with download times. The good news is it looks great in hard copy form. But again, thanks for the feedback. You win the eye spy contest! :)

DestinationDavid – As you can imagine, we have a variety of different arrangements with our partners. Some are very active issuing miles and doing joint marketing with us, others not as much, but we LOVE them all! We reserve the placements on our website for our most active partners, however we are looking at options to feature our smaller or more passive partners in other ways so our members never miss a mile earning opportunity.

20. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, in case you want to know more: generally if you get an EPS or true vector based PDF logo it will be a small file and will improve download speeds.

If you get a bitmap like image, tiff, jpg, gif etc. the file size will be larger and it can get pixelated like I noticed. The vector based artwork is basically comprised of arithmetic based instruction of how to draw the lines, rather than individual dots of color. Be careful lots of time people will stick the equivalent of a jpg in a pdf and it will not be vector based artwork and will have the larger file size.

Here is an explanation of what I just tried to say: http://www.logodesignworks.com/blog/vector-graphics-and-raster-graphics-difference

anabolism, Tenmoc, Sagy and 2 others like this.
  21. MyMiles&Points
    Original Member

MyMiles&Points Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Thanks!

22. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the link. Something I can read and learn myself too.

23. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    roundo, Tenmoc and iolaire like this.
  24. roundo
    Original Member

roundo Active Member

Status Points:
    I found my electricity bill much higher with Energy Plus, so I charted it based on consumption and went back to the source utility billing.

NYBanker likes this.
  25. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's really too bad. Their sort of practices sully the entire effort to move towards competitive power pricing.

My utility bill from Connecticut Light and Power breaks out the price per kilowatt hour, so it was very easy to see them move the price up over 50%.

I switched to ConEdison Solutions - which offered a fixed rate (cancelable by me without penalty) of about 8.5 cents per kwh. Energy Plus moved me over 14 cents at their peak.

Their business is really a marketing business, not a power business. Energy Plus doesn't own any generation - they simply buy it at the market price then mark it up by an excessive amount and sell it to consumers.

Tenmoc likes this.