Introducing the FareFinder from Wandering Aramean Travel Tools

Discussion in 'Wandering Aramean Travel Tools' started by Wandering Aramean, Jun 29, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The old farecompare.com site used to have a list of lowest fares available from various airports, along with filters and such to help suss out potential deals/mileage runs. It went away and getting a good collection of that data has been somewhat difficult for a while.
    It just got a bit easier!
    Now available is the Fare Finder from Wandering Aramean Travel Tools. It covers about 100 airports in North America and another 50 in Europe as origins for the queries. There are a bunch more destinations available in the results, too, with more being added as the system scales up. Right now there are over 360,000 fares in the database.
    It also has a built-in CPM calculator (based on direct distances, so you can probably do better) but does NOT include the YQ or other taxes, so take that in to consideration when looking at the fares.
    [​IMG]
    The default filters allow for limiting to an individual airport or by destination region. Registered users have the ability to filter the search results by carrier.
    [​IMG]
    And users who have upgraded to the First Class level can also filter by price range or on a radius from the origin airport. First Class users can also store their preferences for carriers to be excluded from the low fare search results.
    [​IMG]
    The fare data currently updates daily, though more frequent updates is part of the product road map.
    Oh, and while you’re on that page, check out the options for finding *-UP fares from UA, US, DL and AA as well as SWUable fares from Delta or GPUable fares from United.

Continue reading...

2. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, Seth! Useful info as always.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    This needs to get stickied, of course.

4. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I’ve wondered about this – given that fares change so quickly – is what does this mean? Do you have 360,000 active/current fares, or does this count include historical data?

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. I have only played with it for a few seconds (busy... more play later), but I noticed that when I sorted by carrier ascending that there were a whole bunch of records with NO carrier (empty field) in front of Aeromexico.

6. aptraveler

aptraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is pretty cool, thanks Seth for the update.:)

Wandering Aramean and jbcarioca like this.
  7. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Will there be South America adde? There are a couple of empty airports now, notably my base GIG

aptraveler and Wandering Aramean like this.
  8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Right now I've only got origins in North America. Issues with data collection costs and such are limiting that, at least for now. Subject to change, but that's where I'm at right now.

jbcarioca and aptraveler like this.
  9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The 300K+ fares are active. Only about 13K of those were retrieved earlier than yesterday.

Basically there are up to 15 fares in each category for each city pair I query. And with low fares and GPU-able fares and such there are a lot of permutations out there. The process runs something like 18K queries daily, some of which have multiple parts. My current data set is about 1.8MM rows of historical data, too.

It is a lot of data to work with.

jbcarioca and iolaire like this.
  10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Looks like there are some airlines where I have fares but don't actually have the airline in my database. That's breaking the join query a bit. The new carriers in the system this month seem to be these: P1, SS, 9H, SE, OR, XL. I'll get them added in shortly, once I figure out what they actually are. :oops: