Introducing the Brand New Citi Executive / AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by AmericanAirlines, Jul 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. AmericanAirlines

AmericanAirlines Official Representative

Status Points:
    Morning Milepointers!

We’ve got an exciting announcement today and thought you would be interested! Today we’re officially releasing the brand new Citi Executive / AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard.

This new card comes packed with a ton of VIP travel benefits. Including:
    • Admirals Club Membership
    • Priority Check-In & Boarding
    • Waived Domestic Baggage Charge for First Checked Bag
    • No Foreign Transaction Fees on Purchases
    • Global Concierge Service

But we think you’ll like these benefits the most:
    • Elite Qualifying Miles
      • Earn up to 10,000 AAdvantage elite qualifying miles when you spend $40,000 within a calendar year
    • Earn Double AAdvantage Miles on Eligible American Airlines Purchases
    • No Mileage Cap
    More details to follow in the press release below, but we’re happy to answer any questions that you may have!

Learn more & apply here: http://bit.ly/aacitiexec

See the full release here:

American Airlines (NYSE: AMR)
    Citigroup Inc. (NYSE:C)
    July 18, 2011

CITI CARDS AND AMERICAN AIRLINES INTRODUCE NEW ELITE TRAVELER CREDIT CARD WITH EXPANDED SUITE OF CO-BRANDED PRODUCT OFFERINGS

The Citi ExecutiveSM / AAdvantage® World EliteTM MasterCard® Offers
    Premium Amenities, Services and Experiences,
    As Well As Exclusive Mileage-Earning Opportunities

New York – (July 18, 2011) Just in time for the busy air travel season, Citi Cards and American Airlines announce today a new addition to the 24-year
    Citi® / AAdvantage® credit card portfolio that has served millions of cardmembers with its products and service. The Citi ExecutiveSM / AAdvantage® World EliteTM MasterCard® will deliver exclusive elite-level travel services and experiences to American’s flyers.

“The new Citi ExecutiveSM / AAdvantage® card is a direct reflection of the benefits frequent flyers are seeking in a rewards card and underscores the commitment of Citi and American Airlines to enhancing our customers’ experiences,” said Terry O’Neil, Executive Vice President, Citi Cards. “With premium travel benefits, accelerated AAdvantage® miles-earning opportunities and enhanced convenience, the
    Citi ExecutiveSM / AAdvantage® card unlocks exclusive access to elite-level benefits cardmembers can’t get with any other credit card.”

The Citi ExecutiveSM / AAdvantage® World EliteTM MasterCard® provides a new class of cardmember privileges, including:
    · Admirals Club® membership privileges;
    · No foreign transaction fees on purchases;
    · Enhanced Airport Experience;
    · Waived baggage charge for first domestic checked bag;
    · Expert Concierge Service.

In addition, the new card offers a once per year AAdvantage® Elite Qualifying
    mileage-earning opportunity, based on annual card spend, to put cardmembers on the fast track to American Airlines AAdvantage® elite status membership. Later this year, Citi plans to introduce the Citi ExecutiveSM/ AAdvantage® card with EMV chip card functionality to provide cardmembers with the ability to use a technology that is increasingly important when making credit card purchases abroad.

“The new Citi ExecutiveSM / AAdvantage® card offers unprecedented airline benefits that allow cardmembers to travel in comfort and style” said Maya Leibman, President – AAdvantage Loyalty Program. “Moving through the airport more quickly, relaxing at the Admirals Club® and earning AAdvantage® Elite Qualifying Miles are just a few of the many fantastic perks this new card provides.”

Citi ExecutiveSM / AAdvantage® World EliteTM MasterCard® Details:
    · Admirals Club® Membership privileges for cardmember and immediate family or up to two traveling guests to enjoy the comfort, convenience and service of a private lounge with complimentary drinks and light snacks, WiFi, and a suite of business services – at over 40 worldwide locations
    · 10,000 AAdvantage® Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) after the first $40,000 in eligible net purchases made on the card within a calendar year
    · No foreign transaction fees on purchases
    · Enhanced airport experience including priority check-in, airport screening and boarding privileges, regardless of the class of service of the cardmember’s ticket
    ·Two American Airlines AAdvantage® miles per $1 spent on eligible purchases made with your Citi ExecutiveSM / AAdvantage® World EliteTM MasterCard® credit card for items billed by American Airlines as merchant of record
    · Waived baggage charge for first domestic checked bag for cardmember and up to eight companion(s) traveling under the same itinerary
    · Expert Concierge Service:Top tier customer service representatives available
    24-hours a day to assist with dinner reservations, travel arrangements, gift purchases and more
    · No mileage cap on miles earned through purchases made with the card
    · EMV Chip card functionality to enable purchases abroad at EMV chip-enabled merchants, planned introduction in 2011
    · Access to Citi’s Private Pass Program, providing cardmember opportunities such as presale events and VIP experiences
    · Free tools such as email and text alerts, billing due date option and automatic payments to help with account management
    · Extended Warranty on purchases
    · Complimentary Travel Services: Automatic Travel Accident Insurance, Travel and Emergency Assistance Services, Auto Rental Insurance, Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption Coverage
    · Comprehensive fraud and theft protection including: Fraud Early Warning,
    $0 Liability for unauthorized purchases, Citi® Identity Theft Solutions, and The Lost Wallet® Service
    · $450 annual fee

For more information about the Citi ExecutiveSM / AAdvantage® World EliteTM MasterCard®, please visit citiexecutiveaadvantage.citi.com.

###

About Citi® / AAdvantage®
    The industry-leading Citi® / AAdvantage® credit card was among the first of its kind when it debuted in 1987. The co-branded credit card program has since grown to include millions of loyal customers and is one of the most dynamic and unique card programs in the industry. Citi and American Airline’s suite of co-branded mileage rewards cards include: Citi® Gold / AAdvantage® World MasterCard®, Citi® Platinum Select® / AAdvantage® World MasterCard®, Citi® Gold / AAdvantage® Visa Signature®card, Citi® Platinum Select® / AAdvantage® Visa Signature® card, Citi® / AAdvantage® American Express® card, Citi® SelectSM / AAdvantage® American Express® card, Citi® ExecutiveSM / AAdvantage® World EliteTM MasterCard®, CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® MasterCard®, CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Visa® card and Citibank® / AAdvantage® Debit Card. To apply for the Citi ExecutiveSM / AAdvantage® Card, visit www.citicards.com.

About Citi
    Citi, the leading global financial services company, has approximately 200 million customer accounts and does business in more than 160 countries and jurisdictions. Citi provides consumers, corporations, governments and institutions with a broad range of financial products and services, including consumer banking and credit, corporate and investment banking, securities brokerage, transaction services, and wealth management. Additional information may be found at www.citigroup.com.

About American Airlines
    American Airlines, American Eagle and AmericanConnection® serve 250 cities in 50 countries with, on average, more than 3,600 daily flights. The combined network fleet numbers more than 900 aircraft. American's award-winning website, AA.com®, provides users with easy access to check and book fares, plus personalized news, information and travel offers. American Airlines is a founding member of theoneworld® Alliance, which brings together some of the best and biggest names in the airline business, enabling them to offer their customers more services and benefits than any airline can provide on its own. Together, its members serve approximately 900 destinations with more than 9,000 daily flights to 145 countries and territories. American Airlines, Inc. and American Eagle Airlines, Inc. are subsidiaries of AMR Corporation. AmericanAirlines, American Eagle, AmericanConnection, AA.com, and AAdvantage are trademarks of American Airlines, Inc. (NYSE: AMR).

Media Contacts:
    Emily Collins
    Citi
    212-559-0499
    Emily.collins@citi.com

Stacey Frantz
    American Airlines
    Corporate Communications
    Fort Worth, Texas
    817-967-1577
    mediarelations@aa.com

druiddation, geclub1, Kalboz and 4 others like this.
  2. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ok...so let's break this down a bit
    AAdmirals Club Membership = $300 (Exec Plat renewal), $350 (Plat renewal or new Exec), $400 (new Plat or Gold renewal), $450 (new Gold or renewing non-elite), $500 (new non-elite)

So cost of new card (if you want Aadmirals Club membership) is free if non-elite or new Gold

If higher elite, you are paying for double AA miles (which Citi used to offer on its basic business AA product a few years back), no forex fees (becoming the industry standard now), dedicated check-in counter (business checkin, first if business not available), and of course the big one...10000 EQM's for $40k spending...

Is this worth it to you for about $150 or less additional? :)

3. pjoalfa
    Original Member

pjoalfa Silver Member

Status Points:
    I dunno. As opposed to the double EQM that people whine will dilute elite benefits due to more elites, this one really will increase elites, especially GLD and PLT, and on a more permanent basis since it can be done every year.

Besides at $450 the only real benefit (other than EQM) is the AC membership. Precious little else. If you already have an Amex Plat/Cent, then it's not worth much at all (imho). Until Amex/AA stop playing nice together, that is. Additionally, Amex has the $200 travel benefit, Priority Pass, DL/US access, and Amex customer service. This card is particularly useful and definitely valuable to people who come up just short of EXP consistently.

Sagy, edog22, jhflau11 and 2 others like this.
  4. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    That (or perhaps for people who just miss Plat) seems to be the main kicker as well...unless you are a newbie to AA and have no status and wish to join the AA Club anyways (and do not have the Amex Plat)...

However you do bring up an interesting point....now that Citi is offering a product with a direct tie-in with the AA Club, the question of if/when Citi will follow Chase's example (see CO branded card) and demand AA lose its relationship with Amex plat...now is in play.

jhflau11 and JohnDeere19 like this.
  5. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ehhh, as a PLT I'll pass on this card. They need to add more benefits to make me jump on this one or at the very least a worthwhile sign up bonus. Even then, I'd much rather the AMEX platinum card which offers far more benefits.

6. dc3
    Original Member

dc3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree, I don't see the value in this for most people.

NYBanker and Casey Friday like this.
  7. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    While I agree with the lack of value for most (for the price)....has anyone considered that the announcement of awarding of EQM's for spending comes just as AA goes down its road of adjusting what miles count for LT Gold and Platinum? In effect, once the rules for obtaining LT Gold/Plat are changed to presumably just BIS miles (maybe bonuses for Gold/Plat/Exec or perhaps EQM miles).....I think this card might enable one to still be able to obtain some LT miles based on CC spending (albeit just 10k EQM's at basically 0.25 mile per dollar spent)

8. chemist562
    Original Member

chemist562 In Memorian

Status Points:
    How about fees waived for Exec Plats and lower fees for Gold & Plats?

Sagy, Elusive and viguera like this.
  9. mikeef
    Original Member

mikeef Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would be much more intrigued by the card if it offer 10K EQM for every $40,000 spent with rollover capability (similar to the CO card), not just a one-time bonus.

Mike

10. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Thank you for posting this on milepoint!

I think it's a big step forward, at least for me as a lowly gold/soon to be Platinum. If I can shave of EQM on both UA with their card and now AA with their card, it's more realistic for me to have both 1K and EXP.

After my employer refused to pay for my Amex Plat anymore, I got rid of that card and I've been looking to get an Admiral Club membership anyways.

The current AA cards have been pretty much the worst deal with only 1 mile per dollar spent on AA. Now, you'll at least get 2 miles per dollar spent.

So at the end of the day, this card is not for everyone, but fits well for me. I do think AA needs to do a lot better towards their current top tier levels and offer a discount on this card like everyone else

Sagy likes this.
  11. Lewis

Lewis Active Member

Status Points:
    This sounds like a great card. Is it possible to upgrade/convert existing Citi AAdvantage cards to this new product, as opposed to applying for a new card/line of credit?

Thanks in advance.

viguera likes this.
  12. edog22
    Original Member

edog22 Silver Member

Status Points:
    That would seem to be the best way to boost this new card - otherwise, the Amex plat provides superior perks

13. AmericanAirlines

AmericanAirlines Official Representative

Status Points:
    Yes, an existing cardmember can call Citi to request a conversion to the Citi Executive / AAdvantage card.

Lewis and viguera like this.
  14. swag
    Original Member

swag Silver Member

Status Points:
    It seems like there are a few folks for whom this card is a very good deal.

• As noted already, non-status members who want an Admirals Club membership.
    • Very high spend members with no status (since this card has no earnings cap).
    • Non-elites who take several trips per year and check bags, especially if traveling with others. (One free checked bag per pax for up to 8 pax on the reservation). A family of four with one bag each saves $200 on a roundtrip, so it won't take long for the card to pay for itself.
    • Folks who often fly in the 15K-20K range, this could be easier and cheaper than MRs to get to GLD.

15. aadmiral

aadmiral Silver Member

Status Points:
    My question is to the representative of American Airlines. I would like to know what you will offer Lifetime members of the Admirals Club regarding this new product since I already have membership. I don't think I should be penalized for being very loyal to AA and Citi. I am currently an AA Exp Plat level flyer, Business Extraa account for my business, and currently hold Lifetime Admirals Club and currently have close to 20 million lifetime miles in the Aadvantage Program. I see in the T&C that it states no refunds to Airpass or Lifetime Admirals Club members. Chase Continental Presidential Plus Card for Continental OnePass program offers a similar product and offers a lower annual fee for their lifetime lounge members as I also have this card from Chase and am a lifetime Presidents Club member. I think American should look into offering this as well. I remember talking about this "new card product" with David Parkes at the Million Milers Event in November of 2010 in Los Angeles. At that event he said the new card was to be launched in January of 2011 with similar features to the chase card.

16. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You are my idol!

17. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice to see an improved product, but this doesn't feel like a particularly compelling product for already high value passengers.

If you are willing to pay the fee, the only meaningful things you get with this card versus other premium cards (namely Amex Plat) is the 10k eqm. Priority check in and bag fee waivers are only meaningful if you're not otherwise an elite.

For the same fee with Amex, you get lounge access on DL/AA/US as well as priority pass plus. You can get double mr points if you book through Amex pts online - that covers not just AA purchases but all travel bought through their website. You also get their FHR program (which is similar to, though better in a number of regards than, fspp/rc stars/virtuoso).

With Amex mr, you get periodic transfer bonuses with ow carriers, currently including BA. You can also transfer to the other two alliances. Amex also covers $200 P/A of airline nuisance fees and $100 for global entry.

A number of issuers are trying to tap the Amex $450 annual fee cardmember market, but pretty much all fall down when compared to the breadth of services that Amex offers for its cards.

18. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    Exactly my thoughts.

NYBanker likes this.
  19. aadmiral

aadmiral Silver Member

Status Points:
    The main reason I am interested in this card is for 1) no foreign transaction fees 2) EMV chip on card 3) Virtuoso Concierge (which is only available to World Elite MasterCard). I already have an American Express Centurion Business Card as well as the American Express Centurion Personal Card and the JP Morgan Palladium Visa Signature Card so I know most of my benefits are overlapping each other from these multiple elite credit cards. Since I travel outside the United States I want to use this card at some places that will only except MasterCard which occurs in Europe and South America.

20. firstglobal

firstglobal Silver Member

Status Points:
    While having an EMV chip is nice, there will be many US banks starting to issue EMV cards over the next year or so - right now it's mostly cards with an annual fee (I know Chase has a $100/yr one) but that threshold will be reduced or eliminated in the future as well.

21. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    AmericanAirlines => Thanks for posting this on MilePoint

For the broad forum => I know 2x miles on AAdvantages purchases is parity for the industry (AXP Gold even bonuses airline spend) and this was a perk of the legacy Citi AAdvantage card, but even if you have status and spend enough on AA - think small business that put all AAdvantage travel on their card or people working for lifetime status (hint, hint, keep lifetime status as-is :D) this may be a very good card even with it's fee.

Also curious what this means, "Global Concierge Service." Depending on what you use AXP Platinum concierge for, you have to pay additional for some of the services (although you may not have to if your Centurion)

22. PanAm
    Original Member

PanAm Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think this is a good step in the right direction, as the current Citi AA cards aren't very compelling (I have one but likely won't keep it after the year is up). This card may be useful for more folks than what many of the members here may think. Sure, for an elite who is likely to remain elite, it's not a good value except perhaps the EQMs and EVM.

We (family of 3) fly a lot on AA via our copious BA and AA bonuses, and only occasionally revenue flights since I'm primarily *A flyer at work. I've toyed with AC membership as we often find ourselves wishing we had it. For a general member the price is right, combined with the other benefits. For the 3 of us, the baggage fee waiver can save $150 per trip, times a couple times a year.

EVM is a good selling point for me (though I wouldn't shell out $450 just for that of course). Would like to see something >1 mile/dollar for other things besides AA purchases, maybe certain categories...or the 1.25 miles that BA offers.

The points about AMEX are worth considering though. But I do wonder if this new MC could be a sign of AA ending its AMEX relationship.

Bottom line for me, I'm glad to see this card but will wait a bit to see what happens - big bonus, future of AMEX relationship, etc. Thanks for posting here on MP, AA!

geclub1 likes this.
  23. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd consider the card if they offered some additional perks for EXP flyers. For the $150 above the cost of AC renewal I just don't see the value there for me (and there's no way in the world I'd meet the $40,000 spend for those EQM). The 0% forex, which I currently get through one of my Chase cards, comes in real handy if you're a frequent Europe traveler. I'd need a little more incentive to move charges from that card over to a Citi card.

Realistically, I'm probably not in the demographic they're targeting which I can understand. Sounds like the card is more targeted towards business travelers that may not have elite status. If there's a market there, good for AA and Citi to target and profit from it.

I know UA has a credit card where they waive the annual fee for 1K flyers (something less than $100 a year). If AA could factor in some type of discount for this card for EXP, say $100 off as long as you retain that status, I'd be interested.

24. Christian Martinez
    Original Member

Christian Martinez Gold Member

Status Points:
    I consider myself a "fringe" EXP so the 10K EQM's would be pretty cool especially with fares being higher this year...Not only that but I also don't have AC Membership so this card seems to be right up my alley.

25. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    This card, although appealing at first glance really is a screwjob to those with elite status. I will follow along in hopes that some sort of added benefit or reduction in cost.