Introducing the all-new MileagePlus® Explorer Card

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by UA Insider, Jul 19, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. UA Insider
    Original Member

UA Insider Official Representative

Status Points:
    Hi Everyone, as you may already know, we’re introducing an all-new MileagePlus Explorer Card, which will replace our MileagePlus Signature card from this point forward. Based on the success of the OnePass Plus card, we’ve come up with an unmatched set of features designed to make to travel experience better - at the airport and beyond.

Here are the key benefits and details:
    • First checked bag free – Cardmembers and up to one traveling companion will receive their first checked bag free when traveling on United and Continental – worth up to $100 per roundtrip.

• Priority boarding – Beginning July 23, 2011, Cardmembers will be able to board United and Continental flights immediately after elites and prior to general boarding, so they have earlier access to overhead space and can relax as the rest of the plane boards.
    Worth noting: We know how important boarding is and this benefit has been carefully designed so as to not impact the priority boarding benefit enjoyed by elite members. Having said this, when traveling on Continental-operated flights Cardmembers will temporarily have “EliteAccess” printed on their boarding pass and will board via the carpeted lane. This will only be until our systems are updated to support a zoned boarding process (coming soon).
    • United airport club passes – Each year, Cardmembers will receive two United airport club passes on their membership anniversary date – a $100 value.

• Upgrades on Reward tickets for Elites – MileagePlus Elite customers who are also Cardmembers are eligible to receive upgrades on domestic reward tickets in the same way as with purchased tickets beginning in early 2012.

• Redeem MileagePlus miles for any seat, any time, on any United flight – If seats are available for sale, they can be redeemed at the Standard Award level. There are no restrictions or blackout dates – a benefit that will be reserved for Cardmembers and Elite travelers beginning in early 2012.
    Worth noting: Yes, this does mean last-seat availability for EasyPass/Standard awards will be limited to Cardmembers and Elite members in the new program.
    • Double miles on United tickets – Cardmembers will earn two miles per $1 spent on tickets purchased with the Card from United and Continental.

• Miles bonus – 10,000 additional bonus miles with $25,000 or more in eligible spend each calendar year.

• Miles do not expire – Miles earned in the MileagePlus program by Explorer Cardmembers will not expire as long as program members are MileagePlus Explorer Cardmembers.

• Access to exclusive events and unique activities with Inside Access from Chase.

• Access to The Luxury Hotel and Resorts Collection, which offers exclusive cardmember amenities such as complimentary breakfast and space-available upgrades at a selection of over 700 of the finest hotels, resorts, lodges and spas around the world.
    Already have a OnePass MasterCard or MileagePlus Visa? As an existing MileagePlus Card member, you may keep your account and annual fee as is, or you may be eligible to switch over to the MileagePlus Explorer card. To request a trade, simply call the number on the back of your card. If you’re a OnePass Plus Card member, the benefits are effectively the same so there’s no need to make the change. You will receive the new United-branded plastic automatically next year.

To learn more, and to apply for the card, please visit UnitedExplorerCard.com.

I’m sure there are many questions out there. Please post them here and we’ll do our best to answer. As always, thanks for your feedback!

Shannon Kelly
    Director, Customer Insights & Metrics
    United Airlines

skit53 likes this.
  2. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    Will this feature limited to holders of the Explorer card, or will it also apply to holders of other Mileage Plus branded credit cards issued by Chase (specifically, the Mileage Plus Club Visa that also provides a Red Carpet Club membership)?

3. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    The OnePass Plus has a annual fee of 85.00, I see if you have a MP card and don't switch you can keep the same annual fee.

What about current OnePass Plus cardholders, is our annual fee going up to 95 or staying at 85?

4. thetenken
    Original Member

thetenken Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yup, wondering about any RCC cards out there...

5. rggale
    Original Member

rggale Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, Shannon. What's the plan for the presidential plus cards?

Renard and sdm1130 like this.
  6. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seriously, standard awards (at 2x the saver award price) won't be available to non-status members that don't have the card? It is today.

I'd be interested in the card with a decent sign up bonus, but most people here already have a Chase/United or CO card and apparenly aren't eligible for the sign-up bonus.

-David

bobsgt and yaychemistry like this.
  7. bmg42000
    Original Member

bmg42000 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like the 2x points for dining on my Mileage Plus signature Visa . Is this coming along for the ride. I also like the 3X points for CO/UA travel.

Scottrick and yaychemistry like this.
  8. yaychemistry

yaychemistry Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a feeling that those sorts of bonuses will disappear if you switch. My current MP Select Visa offers double miles on gas and groceries. I doubt if I switch to the new card that perk will follow :( As nice as those club passes look, I don't think its worth giving up the double miles.

9. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree. I like the MP Select Visa a lot and use it as my primary card. The only reason I signed up for the OnePass card was to get the bonus... the benefits pale in comparison, and I rarely use it. Now it looks like the OnePass card will be the only game in town, just a new name. Of course, I'll still use it to book tickets, but probably nothing else. Time to go shopping for a new card.

10. hashj01

hashj01 Active Member

Status Points:
    I spoke with a Chase representative this morning. I have both the UA and CO cards. I needed to pay off my balance on my CO card today then tomorrow they'll merge the credit limits into my UA card. At that time I will have the opportunity to either keep everything the same, upgrade to the Select visa with 2x dining and 3x United, or "transfer" to the new Explorer card. I asked if the checked bag waiver will apply to the UA Select card and the representative did a little research. He said they are not planning to honor the bag waiver with the UA Select card. Thus, it boils down to if I want to keep the same level benefits, upgrade to Select for more miles but no bag waiver, or change to Explorer and keep the bag waiver and priority boarding (for non-elites like me, the bag waiver is handy). Decisions, decisions, decisions... :)

Scottrick and yaychemistry like this.
  11. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    Per http://www.united.com/press/detail/0,7056,69066,00.html
    This doesn't mention anything about award upgrades for existing cardholders.

yaychemistry likes this.
  12. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If one already has the CO card, would it make sense to cancel that and then apply for this one down the road rather than switch over?

13. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Overall, I am still disappointed at this card. The $25k spend to get that final 10k miles is a bit daunting (especially since its very late in the year and people are trying to meet thresholds on other cards). Also, the restriction on current UA cardholders from being able to get the bonus. Definitely not a winner in my book. I would apply for other Chase cards before I signed up for this one. Sorry Chase and UA, I was really hoping for something big.

14. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    It would seem like it to me. That way you can maximize the bonus from this card. If you just switch over my guess would be they just re-issue the card with the new branding (not 100%, but would seem to make the most sense).

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  15. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thats exactly what I was thinking...oh well, need to see when my next churn is coming up.

16. kneemuh
    Original Member

kneemuh Silver Member

Status Points:
    Shannon,

How does this affect United Mileage Plus Platinum Class cardholders? Will a different MileagePlus Explorer card be introduced that also earns Elite Qualifying Miles? Or, instead, will the original Mileage Plus Platinum Class card remain in place indefinitely?

Thanks!

BurBunny likes this.
  17. How does this effect Chase CO Visa Signature Card holders (Not Onepass Plus)? Do we still get to keep our cards or will we have to switch this new one?

18. pshuang

pshuang Silver Member

Status Points:
    I really appreciate the "worth noting" editorial commentary. We're all adults here (well, maybe most of us :) ) and are expecting a mixture of good news and bad news. Not trying to white wash some of the negative changes shows some refreshing honesty in communication with a user community like this one....

19. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have the UA MP Select VISA and the Onepass Plus MC. I will close the latter and hope they'll not change the benefits of the Select card.

20. skyhook
    Original Member

skyhook Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does UDU on award flights for elite members also apply to a companion as well?

21. BurBunny
    Original Member

BurBunny Silver Member

Status Points:
    As a Platinum card holder I'm interested in this too. I see lots of RDM points opportunities, but no EQM mentioned.

In reviewing the benefits, this card seems primarily focused on non-elite flyers. Most of the benefits I already have earned the hard way. Perhaps Chase/United should consider a card with the needs of elites (or elite wannabes not just elite lookalikes) in mind?

22. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have any decisions been made about the current 1K benefit waiving the annual cc fees? How about those people grandfathered in for the full fee waiver, not just the 65 or so? Will that be considered a transferable benefit between cards, or if the 1K changes cards, they'd lose the benefit?

Thanks.

kneemuh likes this.
  23. airshadow
    Original Member

airshadow Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is interesting T&C language on my elite offer (60k total) [Bolding mine]

50,000 Bonus Miles:
    With this bonus offer you will qualify and receive 50,000 bonus miles after your first use of the card. First use includes using your account for purchases or balance transfers, or using any checks that access your account; cash advances are not included. After qualifying, please allow 6 to 8 weeks for bonus miles to post to your account. This one-time bonus offer is only valid for first-time United MileagePlus Explorer cardmembers with new accounts. United MileagePlus Explorer cardmembers will only receive one 50,000 bonus miles award if they apply for both the United Explorer Card and the Continental OnePass Plus Card after 7/19/2011. These miles do not count toward elite status. If your account is not open for at least six months, United and Chase reserve the right to deduct the bonus miles from your MileagePlus Program account.

24. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's some pretty steep language! (my underlining)

25. airshadow
    Original Member

airshadow Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm just happy that previous cardholders seem to be able to jump in after all (even if it's just - as they clearly indicate - once ;))