Intra-European award routing rules

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by vcabias, Jan 7, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. vcabias

vcabias Active Member

Status Points:
    Hey all, I'm sure this has been discussed before but I can't find a thread on it. Is there a place (blog, website, etc.) where I can read up on United's award routing rules for Intra-European awards? I'm taking the following routing (already ticketed) LAX-IST (via IAH)-BKK (via ZRH)-LAX (via TPE) on TK, LX, and BR respectively to Europe and SE Asia over the summer and I need to fill in the European portion of my trip with flights which I'd like to burn on United Miles.

My proposed itinerary, if there's no problem with the fare rules, would be IST-MAD-BCN-PRG-BUD-IST. I'd be spending 2-4 days in each city. If I could get some help in pointing me in the right direction I'd be very grateful as I need to book the flights before the end of the month and the devaluation from hell happens.

2. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    As of right now UA permits three flights in each direction on one ways and four flights in each direction on roundtrip tickets. UA permits one stopover for free so in theory you could get a lot done and you can maximize your time in more cities with 23:59 or less "connections".

You could easily accomplish this by booking the following...

Ticket 1
    IST-MAD (Stopover)
    MAD-BCN (Destination)
    BCN-PRG (Destination2)

Ticket2
    PRG-BUD (Destination1)
    BUD-IST (Destination 2)

You could probably add another stopover for free on Ticket #2 to accomplish this. Of course most markets in Europe aren't served non-stop so you'd be flying through either BRU/FRA/MUC/ATH/VIE/ZRH/ARN/CPH/OSL on other *A partners.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  3. vcabias

vcabias Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the tip on the 3 flights in each direction. I know I won't be able to do the under 24 hour "layover", perhaps on another trip, but not on this one. It would seem then, that I could go IST-MAD, BCN-PRG-BUD, BUD-IST and only have to take a train from MAD-BCN which is fine. If I can't get the BCN-PRG-BUD flight to book, I'll just do 3 one-ways (IST-MAD, BCN-PRG, BUD-IST) and take a train between the missing connections.

4. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can fly a lot more than three in each direction. Nine is quite feasible. Spend some time iterating your routing and work it out.