Intra-China award stopover rules?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by NYC_Gal, Aug 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. NYC_Gal
    Original Member

NYC_Gal Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm planning to get a award on China Southern. Can I book 1 way and have one stopover? E.g., TAO-CAN stop - HKG. And does anyone know how much is lap child fare?

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you sure you want to do this with a lap child? Their seating is awfully tightly packed.

3. Yes you can. It will price out at round trip mileage.

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    To explain that answer a bit, assuming you're using DL miles, DL's rules apply. DL now has "one way awards" but they cost the same number of miles as a RT award on the same route, although you might save some taxes and fees. It's almost a one-way award in name only in that it certainly isn't a genuine one-way offered at roughly half of the required RT miles. Nevertheless, there can be situations, such as total unavailability of return segments in low on any dates, in which one way awards are advantageous beyond the relatively minor savings on taxes and fees.

Given that you will pay almost as much as for a RT, isn't there some return segment (think open jaw) that you might be able to use later?

5. NYC_Gal
    Original Member

NYC_Gal Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks all. I didn't remember that DL doesn't really have 1 way award. So this most likely won't work afterall. I only need 1 way. So maybe I'll just buy the ticket.

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Plane tickets within China tend to be priced as one-ways, so it should not be extraordinarily expensive to purchase a one way ticket. Try to do it early, of course. I've sometimes had the impression that these are cheaper if booked from within China, although dealing with a Chinese travel agent is likely to be a hassle.