Intra-China Award Question

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by MilesGuy, Aug 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. How many miles is required for a low medium haul intra-china award if I were to have a stopover in NRT? I am looking at CAN-NRT (stopover)-PEK (Destination)-HKG on CZ & DL metals. Is it 35000 miles since it's considered medium haul within China? Or is it 45000 miles since there's a stopover in NRT?

2. joejones
    Original Member

joejones Silver Member

Status Points:
    NRT is not part of China, and I'm pretty sure that HKG doesn't count either. So this definitely wouldn't be an intra-China award.

NRT would probably be treated as the destination since PEK-HKG is the shortest of the three legs.

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    You might want to check whether having the departure and arrival airports the same--either both CAN or both HKG--would make the ticket easier to book or cheaper. These cities aren't so far apart and there seems to be lots of choices of organized land transportation between them. The only reason I can see to do out from one and in to the other besides minor convenience and time saving would be visa issues, perhaps a single entry visa being easier/cheaper. (Note, however, that American applicants for Chinese tourist and business visas are routinely being given multi-entry visas at no additional cost, especially if one has previously had a visa for China.)