Int'l to domestic (USA) question

Discussion in 'JAL | Mileage Bank' started by whkento, Jun 9, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. whkento
    Original Member

whkento Gold Member

Status Points:
    Alright, here's one for the experts...

I'll be traveling this summer with my children from Japan to USA. My kids have award tickets from Japan to Chicago. There were no award seats available from ORD to CLT, so I had to buy tickets for them separately on AA. So, my question is this--do you think the AA staff are going to try to charge my kids for luggage on the ORD-CLT and CLT-ORD sections of our int'l flight?

I have JGC sapphire (OW sapphire) status, but my kids don't. Also, the int'l tickets and USA domestic tickets have different reservation numbers. That's my biggest concern. Also, if it makes a difference, we'll be in C for NRT-ORD and PY for ORD_NRT.

TIA.

whkento

2. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    good luck LOL

3. fumitani
    Original Member

fumitani Gold Member

Status Points:
    whkento be prepared to pay for anything over your own limit of 4x baggage :p

4. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well the 4th one is kind of his JGC benefit not sure if that's in the interline system

5. QSG
    Original Member

QSG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Be ready to pay, and pay again.......

6. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    make sure you don't interline if they ask you to pay because I believe it will be JAL's rate on your inbound as that's the MSC?

7. whkento
    Original Member

whkento Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, I don't understand. What do "interline" and "MSC" mean?

Btw, I usually have our bags checked through to CLT, but have to go through customs at ORD. After customs, I would just hand over the bags to AA just outside the door. Will I still be able to do this, or will I have to take their bags to an AA check-in counter?

8. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    whkento likes this.
  9. whkento
    Original Member

whkento Gold Member

Status Points:
  10. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    But you might be fine if you have less than 2 x 23kg per passenger on the outbound though...really have no idea on this sorry

11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    MSC doesn't matter AFAIK because they are separate reservations. Despite the fact that, to you, they are just onward segments of the trip to CLT, for the airline they are wholly separate. Among other things, if the inbound flight is delayed or you have other troubles you aren't protected on the onward portion of the itinerary.

AA will likely charge for the bags which are in excess of the allowance for the OW Emerald passenger in both directions and there isn't much you can do about it.

whkento likes this.
  12. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wandering Aramean and whkento like this.
  13. whkento
    Original Member

whkento Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, that's the problem--seperate reservations. I may call JAL and ask 'em if they can do anything to help me with this, though I expect the answer will be no.

14. whkento
    Original Member

whkento Gold Member

Status Points:
    Found it. Thanks! It's not very specific about the luggage part, though, is it?

AA to/from AA or a oneworld® Carrier
    If a customer is holding separate tickets on AA or another oneworld carrier, customers holding separate tickets where travel is on oneworld airlines should be treated as through ticketed passengers. In the event of a disruption on the originating ticket, the carrier responsible for the disruption will be required to reroute the customer to their final destination. The ticket stock of the second ticket must be of a oneworld carrier, eligible under the Endorsement Waiver Agreement.

15. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's about missed connection protection

16. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I`d just recommend not checking in the kitchen sink on this trip away Whkento!

whkento likes this.
  17. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe he's going away for like a month? But yea please don't buy yet another grill in the US this time LOL

whkento likes this.
  18. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    So you're going to have to go after JAL in ORD to push you on to a new flight based on AA's published policy. Good luck with that.

19. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is an agreement between oneworld carriers and AA at least. But I have heard this is an agreement between all oneworld carriers. *A has similar agreement between members I believe, this isn't something unheard of

20. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'm not saying that it will be impossible, but given my druthers I'd try to avoid the situation. Even if the official rules say they're supposed to accommodate you the reality is that you have to deal with an agent who likely doesn't know the nuance and probably doesn't care too much. Just one of the joys of travel in the USA. ;)

whkento likes this.
  21. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't worry about that at all, I am sure JAL will take good care of whkento on the outbound if JL010 is delayed and causes him to miss his connecting flight and AA will likewise do the same. Just bring a print out of that page if you are worried about dealing with an agent who doesn't know about the policies

22. whkento
    Original Member

whkento Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I'm sure that's a good piece of advice. I always bring more stuff back to Japan than I take to the states.

Yeah. Joys. :rolleyes:
    I guess it's my own fault for trying to actually use my miles for an award.

I agree. JAL will take great care of us. I just don't expect the same from AA.

23. whkento
    Original Member

whkento Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hehe. :D No grill this time. Maybe a kayak?

24. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Sheesh that`s insane. I took back two BBQ from Aus. People waiting for luggage got annoyed at me but i`m thinking why the hell would you line up so close if you know your bags are coming out last. They should just get out of my way! (naturally my bags were always first or second)

whkento likes this.
  25. whkento
    Original Member

whkento Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I always thought they should all get outa my way, too. Never happens, though. ;)

I'm not really gonna bring back a kayak. I can't paddle worth crap right now--may never be able to again. I'm still gonna teach my kids, though. Gimme a couple more years...