Intl connection at LOS (Lagos)

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by TravelerRob, Feb 17, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi,
    Does anyone have experience with intl to intl connections at Lagos? I have a ticket that includes SA arriving from JNB connecting onto UA to IAH. The connection time is 1.5 hours.

I'm assuming I don't have to worry about immigration and customs and I can just use a transfer hallway or remain in the terminal. Is that correct?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,
    Rob

2. disambiguous1

disambiguous1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Rob-- I checked out this thread because I might be participating in a volunteer program that would require a layover in Lagos during the flight over. I mentioned this thread to a former program participant who flies through Africa a bit, and told her that no one had responded. She said, "It's probably because few people who have to change planes at Lagos survive to tell the tale." She was going by hearsay, as she has been able to avoid Lagos thus far. I hope she was being more humorous than accurate. Best of luck. -DA1

3. TravelerRob
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Hey!
    Thanks so much for the response.

I wound up cancelling that UA ticket because I was mostly nervous it wouldn't work out and because UA doesn't have the LOS-IAH flight the following day should I get stuck.

In addition, I found a post on a Travel blog about someone who did this. Apparently you go up to immigration and tell them you are connecting at the airport and they will walk you through immigration to the check-in stand for your connecting flight. You must fill out the landing card anyway. And you must collect your bags before going to the check-in gate for your onward flight. Basically, nothing like a connection at LHR. And with only 1.5 hours and a change of airlines (from SA to UA) I gave up on the idea. Just too risky for my taste.

I don't want to get stuck in a country that requires a visa for US citizens and I don't have a visa. If I had a visa I would have done this any day of the week.

Thanks and good luck to you as well. Please report back here if you wind up in LOS or transiting it.

-Rob

4. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    These were separate tickets?

Even better that you cancelled then. If you're going to push limits, at least do it on one ticket so you're somewhat protected.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  5. TravelerRob
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No. Not separate tickets. All ticketed by United on 016 ticket stock.

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd say this is a smart move. Everything I've read says to expect that the process will take well more than 90 minutes and will likely include some interesting exchanges and conversations.

HeathrowGuy, kiwi and TravelerRob like this.
  7. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    I looked at doing this in 2012 and a combination of some scant info and my own experiences transferring at out of the way airports led me to opt for JNB-GRU-IAH instead of JNB-LOS-IAH.

8. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Having transferred in unusual places such as EBL, TIP, RUH, IKA, ALG, KWi, etc; I've learned not to assume an international transit will run smoothly or quickly.

TravelerRob likes this.