Int'l change fee if new flight costs less

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Gargoyle, Sep 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    If I understand correctly, changing a TATL "T" fare to a different date will cost me $250 plus the difference in fare. What happens if the new fare is $50 less than the original- is my out of pocket still $250, or is it $200?

And, can I do this at all within the rules- I might need to push the entire itinerary back 2 weeks, so all segments will be changed.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Without having looked at your specific fare rules, the normal DL procedure when you make such changes before the trip starts is that (because they must re-fare the trip if changes are done before departure) they would effectively cancel your current ticket, issue an ecredit for its fare minus the change fee, and then issue you a new ticket using (assuming you wish) a new ticket. Sometimes you're not aware of the steps in the background and in fact, rather than issuing an ecredit, they might just automatically give the remaining credit on the old ticket against the new one, saying something like "exchanged for" with ticket numbers. I think in your case, the remaining $50 would remain as an ecredit in your account. This assumes that the ecredit you get can be applied to more than one PNR, ticketed at different dates.

rwoman and DeltaExpert like this.
  3. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Ended up with a flight that was $20 more instead of $30 less, so I'm out of pocket $270.
    The annoying thing is I could see the cheaper one online, T fares all four segments, but even when I canceled out and closed my browser the phone agent could only see T outbound, U return, which resulted in the $50 difference. After enough time trying to push it through I decided my time was worth more than the hassle of trying to work it through (perhaps I could have had them completely cancel the ticket and then I'd book it on line, but at a certain point it's not worth the effort).

Consider it a donation to keep DL afloat. :)

After it was all over I did go back on line and still saw T fares all the way, in two different browsers, so it wasn't a browser cache issue. Maybe DL is pulling from different buckets for phone agents and web sales?

rwoman and MSPeconomist like this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    You do know, don't you, that you can cancel any (nonaward) ticket up to about midnight of the day after it was ticketed? If you're still seeing all the T segments on line, call DL web support (go though the DM or PM line and ask to be transferred if you see flights that the agents can't book) and ask them to issue the ticket you see.

rwoman likes this.
  5. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The lower price still shows on line, so I called. It took 23 minutes; web support had to transfer me to International, who transfered me to the Platinum Desk, and they were able to issue a voucher for the $50 difference.

This is not efficient- 23 minutes of my time, and 23 minutes of Delta employee time. There's gotta be a better way for them to design and implement their systems. Unfortunately, that will probably take a total rebuild from scratch, millions of lines of code. :(

MSPeconomist likes this.
  6. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    Important to note that this only applies to travel originating in the US (or maybe North America).

MSPeconomist, rwoman and Gargoyle like this.
  7. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Although, strangely enough, they did allow it for an ex-UK ticket once...this was before I knew it was not actually the case. I've also had agents mention the 24 hour canx before...not thinking about the fact it did not benefit me. :)

mtkeller likes this.
  8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, which is where Gargoyle is, but thanks for reminding others. It also may not apply to award tickets for those who pay change fees on them (but you might be able to do a 24 hour hold instead).

9. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good to know that sometimes they'll be willing to ignore the rule (or don't realize that it only applies on ex-US).

rwoman likes this.
  10. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's why I mentioned it. Never know what people will come across on a forum and not realize there are asterisks that must be applied.

11. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the official rule is exUSA, but you might also be eligible or get the benefit if you have a USA address on file or are using a USA-based credit card or billing in USA dollars. Also, if you call the USA DL call center numbers such as DM line, they might just assume that you're USA and/or not know the technicalities.

rwoman likes this.
  12. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Which, as a DM, I always use the US line...fortunately, it is free for to call US 1800/866/877/888 numbers! :)

13. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    From England in general or using Skype?

rwoman likes this.
  14. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Skype and from the US military (DSN) phone system - there are #'s we can dial to access 1800 #'s as if we were in the US. :) One of the perks they give us when overseas...be it the UK, Germany, Afghanistan, or wherever. :)

MSPeconomist likes this.
  15. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's nice. Can you also call other numbers from military bases and incur only domestic long distance charges for phone calls home or does everyone just use Skype now? (My cell phone charges for 800 etc. numbers when I call from abroad, if I can reach them at all, so that I like to know non-tollfree numbers for DL, AmEx, etc.)

rwoman likes this.
  16. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately, no. If I call long distance from the base, it is charged as international. Sometimes, I can use military lines to call the US and then have an operator transfer me out for a local call (i.e. ATL) or use a calling card to call elsewhere in the US. I also sometimes use my UK cell phone (about $.08/min) to call back to the US. I get 200 free minutes each month, which eases the blow a bit. :)

Gargoyle likes this.