Interseting Reward Stay Computer Hiccup

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by UADomer08, Feb 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. UADomer08
    Original Member

UADomer08 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was booking by the seat of my pants Friday and decided to run down to San Francisco for a weekend stay. I booked the reward at approximately 11am and checked into the hotel around 4:30pm. The weekend was ok (horrible weather) but this morning when I signed into my Marriott account to set up a biz trip i noticed I had been charged for an extra reward night.

I called up the Platinum desk and talked with an extremely helpful gentleman who informed me that this sort of thing happens sometimes. My morbid curiosity got the better of me and we got to talking about the reason. Not surprisingly the system that generates the reward cert is different than the Res system and the two require some time to sync up. In my case, I checked into the hotel before the Cert system had generated and delivered the Cert despite the fact that the Res was set up as a reward stay. When the Desk checked me in, the Res system was unable to claim the cert and therefore requested a one night cert be generated to fulfill the requirement. This created the extra reward redemption.

In the end the Plat Desk called the hotel and straightened things out and let me know my account would be credited within 72 hours. Just thought it was an interesting hiccup and something other frequent in-the-moment reward bookers should keep an eye on.

snap likes this.
  2. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    With all the computer connections I am surprised that everything does not happen at the same time.

3. UADomer08
    Original Member

UADomer08 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Full automation is actually very difficult and often extremely expensive. The older the admin servers you are running the more expensive it gets. When the necessity of real-time automation is minimal (very rarely does one generate a reward request and check in within hours) it is much more cost effective to run batch sweeps at pre-determined time intervals (maybe nightly, twice a day, every 4 hours, etc). My guess is that their system interactions are designed this way since its cheaper to fix a couple exception accounts like mine than incur the system upgrades and tech consultants expenses to fully integrate the process.