Interrupted NRT MR on CO

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Where2next?, Mar 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Where2next?
    Original Member

Where2next? Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi all- need some help advice...

First all, my heart goes out to those affected by the earthquakes and the tsunamis.

I was enroute to NRT from the US, and learned of the earthquake in the air. Am currently in Hawaii and my CO flights to GUM and NRT were cancelled. I am on a MR, and am considering options since i could get stuck in GUM and not get to NRT before i come back on Monday.

I'm on a CO ticket and not very familiar with their policies, so am wondering if there is any type of "trip in vain" provision that would apply? Optimally, i would like to return home and use the ticket to do the trip in a few months.

If that's not possible, any advice on how to maximize the MR in progress? TIA :)

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, CO has a "trip in vain" policy. Have you tried asking the agents there to route you home and to move the booking out later?

Generally the TIV policy just gets you sent home and a refund of the fare. And you usually keep the miles you've flown.

3. Where2next?
    Original Member

Where2next? Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks much for the info. Given the relative unimportance of a MR in the circumstances, I'll be happy with however this trip turns out.

bez7, Golfingboy, rggale and 3 others like this.
  4. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just curious, but whatever happened with this? Were they able to apply the TIV policy in your case and send you back home?

5. Where2next?
    Original Member

Where2next? Gold Member

Status Points:
    No... I tried to explore this with CO, both on their rez line, and in HNL, but the concensus was that they wouldn't replace the flights already flown. Don't know if that was correct, but there were bigger issues in the world that day so i just accepted it.

bez7 likes this.