Internet charges Crown Plaza Heathrow

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by guinnessxyz, Jul 1, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. As a result of getting a "weekend" rate at this property the free internet usually offered to Platinum elites and RA's was charged at a preposterous rate of 16GBP approximately $25 per night. I have stayed at several different ICHG brand properties in the London area over the last many months including a points stay at the IC and wasn't charged for the internet at any one of them. I plan to move my complaint up the chain and expose this pilferage for all its worth. The warning about their internet rate wil be on Trip Advisor along with the fact their "best available" rate doesn't cover a 2 for 1 special they have on this summer. Nor will they match it specifically on a prepaid rate which I will never do again.

Edited to add that in making a dummy regular booking w/o the w/e rate free internet is included. It seems a w/e rate doesn't do anything for you status wise in terms of perks. No upgraded room was given either.

Flying Bat likes this.
  2. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    As far as I am aware, Priority Club plats don't get free internet nor a guaranteed upgrade, which is why I would much rather stay at an SPG property (I'm a PC plat and an SPG plat). Got free internet at Crowne Plaza Nagoya on Saturday though, which was a nice surprise...

It's probably up to the individual hotel.

Flying Bat likes this.
  3. As it turns out my corporate rate should govern for free internet but CP heathrow were not prepared to recognize it on the rate paid. I sent an email to the GM along with the link to this MP thread and had a response waiting for me upon my return to Canada last evening. They have removed the internet charge because they "value my business".

Obviously the internet charges are things they try and sneak into their cheaper rate offers.

Flying Bat likes this.
  4. Flying Bat

Flying Bat Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would love to know the aggregate figure charged by al hotels for the internet phenomenon. Even an annual figure per group would be interesting. for the sale of offering balance, there is certainly some costs associated with the facility and many hotels I stay at tend to have onsite support staff, with associated costs.

5. That onsite person is usually also engaged to look after their own systems as well. So the incremental cost to keep the wireless network going is pretty small.

In smaller hotels they have an outside supplier who works on a fixed retainer or a per call fixed charge. But, here again that same supplier spends mot of their time with the internal web issues of the property(ies)

Flying Bat likes this.
  6. Flying Bat

Flying Bat Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes that's fair comment.