International Upgrade

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by davideman, Jan 7, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. davideman

davideman Active Member

Status Points:
    Hello,
    Does anyone know if at check in does the Delta rep have the ability to upgrade to business class a non upgradeable ticket? I have a an international T class ticket and am trying to score an upgrade. I am Diamond would be able to use SWU or mile.

Thanks for the info!

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. Davescj
    Original Member

Davescj Silver Member

Status Points:
    Basically - forget about it.

T is not an upgradeable fare. You have to be M or higher (which is a MUCH more expensive ticket). The SWU or miles both require the higher fare.

The only chance you have is that Y is full and you get bounced into J.

There is always the VERY unlikely chance a gate agent would up grade you as a courtesy, but do not plan on it.

The only international tickets that upgrade from a T fare are into Carribean, Canada, upper Latin America (see the DL website for which cities in South America can be upgraded as a medallion).

Dave

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would have thought someone who flies DL often enough to be Diamond would know the rules regarding UG instruments.

There are no official ways to do this. You can strategize for op-up if you have substantial schedule flexibility; but as for a planned UG to BE, fuhgeddaboutit.

Even if there were such means, you won't get much assistance from here or over there...DL Medallion flyers like to defend the "integrity of the BE cabin" from those such as you, seeking non-official methods to move upfront.

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    We are just making sure you have sufficient availability out of RGN.

ryandc99, jbcarioca and DiverDave like this.
  5. redtailshark

Status Points:
    :p Yes, thanks for keeping the top deck of the 744 free for the Shark family parties. I have tons of these itins and although I've rationalized, I could still end up flying quite a lot of DL BE this year.

But let's remember, I'm the one in whose interests the BE cabin integrity must be defended.

You see, I'm not a freeloader like some...these are paid C-class itins. So I have priority, I get to bump you bumptious M-fare buyers with SWU's back where you belong into EC, or even E- if it's on KL or AF metal where your SM Medallion seat request is never respected.

DL knows they should defend my paid BE turf from you Diamond lowball Y gamers seeking UG. They even sent me a nice thank-you-for-flying-paid-C email after my last trip.

:) You DL folks more than anyone else know how much I love it when this happens.

jbcarioca and Flyer1976 like this.
  6. p31at2152

p31at2152 Active Member

Status Points:
    I am a Diamond and flew from ATL-BRU on a "T" fare this past December. Going to BRU there were 17 BE seats open with 45 min until takeoff. I was talking to 4 non-revs in the gate area flying stand-by waiting for a seat. Having worked for USAir back in the late 90's we were chatting about how the airline industry had changed a bit. All 4 received BE seats, while I remained in Economy Comfort.Not complaining. I knew the odds of an UG were slim due to the "T" fare.

On the way back I get to the check-in counter and I was told they had quite a few non-revs so they had upgraded me to BE. I have found this to be the case on my last Europe trip as well. Going to Europe from ATL, no chance the agent will upgrade you. Coming back from Europe I am 2 for 2.

The moral of my story...there is hope for an upgrade on a "T" fare, just not on the US departure leg.

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. DiverDave
    Original Member

DiverDave Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think that characterization is really accurate.

Certainly there has been considerable angst over First Class Monetization (FCM) on domestic routes. (FCM being the practice of selling deeply discounted First Class fares that are often lower than last minute Coach class fares.) There are some members who dismiss any complaints over FCM with "WFBF" which means "Want First Buy First."

International is different. I don't think there is much love at all for Delta's upgrade policies for BE routes. Certainly there is resignation to the fact that Delta believes they are protecting revenue with their upgrade policies, and acceptance that Delta seems unlikely to modify these policies in a customer friendly manner. But I can't remember even my old pal bubbashow jumping up and saying "WBEBBE" which certainly would be pretty unwieldy if not downright weird. :)

David

redtailshark likes this.
  8. redtailshark

Status Points:
    Yes. So as you note, we have the spectacle of shark and bubba in violent agreement on DL UG policy!

WBEBBE!!

Bubba would be amused but of course since the shark is too dangerous to the DL-order, in some places, such speech is banned.

The rationale for this position develops from DL's own program and policies. Now that I'm flying paid BE, I want it defended from the likes of MP/FT bandits seeking to colonize without paying for C or J.

It all goes to show, if you live long enough, you will see amazing things

Redeeming those SM, OTOH, is a matter where we may disagree. After accumulating such SM, I don't expect to be hit for demands for 635k from PHL to FCO not all of which is in J, when I attempt to redeem the hard-earned currency.

DiverDave likes this.
  9. TheMadBrewer
    Original Member

TheMadBrewer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've gotten 6 op-ups in the past 15 months or so: 4 were ex-EU (ZRH-JFK, DUB-JFK, FRA-JFK and AMS-MSP) and 2 ex-US (JFK-BRU and ATL-FRA). So you chances do seem higher coming rather than going. Unless there is some mass migration going on you'd think the chances of the plane being full would be the same for each direction :)

JFK seems to be my lucky charm -- plus I got the upgrade on the LAX-JFK portion on those trips as well. I just hate to press my luck...

10. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ex EU makes sense because they are day time flights - BE is less of a need ;)