International rewards tickets with domestic segments

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by xopping, Mar 24, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. xopping

xopping Silver Member

Status Points:
    Booked a round trip rewards internatinal ticket (saver) to assian on United.com with multiple segments.The fare class on all my segments are I or O except one segment from ORD to LGA with X. I think I can call UA to get rebooked to the first class on that ORD-LGA flight when the saver award availble. I am wondering if I can ask UA to put me on the waitinglist. So I do not need to check the availability again and again on there website. By the way, do I have to pay for that 75dollar booking fee if I saw the saver award availabe within 21 days from my trip. Thanks!

Kalboz likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, you can call in and ask to be waitlisted for the forward cabin award seat. I believe there is no charge if you are waitlisted, even if it clears inside the 21 day window.

Kalboz likes this.
  3. xopping

xopping Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! Wandering Aramean. Just want to make sure before calling and waiting on UA's phone lines.

Kalboz likes this.
  4. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Normally an international award/upgrade also upgrades the domestic feeder flights, if on the same PNR, and should put you on a waitlist automatically if the upgrade cannot be immediately confirmed.

desamo and Kalboz like this.
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Upgrades booked online will waitlist automatically if they cannot be confirmed at the time of the request. Award flights will not; you have to call in for those.

desamo and Kalboz like this.
  6. xopping

xopping Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just called UA, the agent told me I can waitlist in pricinple, she did try to put me on the waitinglist, but for some stupid reason, the computer does not allow. She can not explain why, but just sometimes the system does not allow. May call it again later.

Kalboz likes this.
  7. Scott Schmidt

Scott Schmidt Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can waitlist on UA awards, but not on Star Alliance awards--so if you have, for example, an LH segment somewhere in there, you have to wait until space opens up, then call. I just did that on one itinerary and it worked without and problems...

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Not exactly...

You can waitlist on itineraries that have *A flights but not for those flights. Only UA segments can be listed. So if you're flying MUC-FRA-EWR on LH/UA and want to waitlist for the non-stop MUC-EWR on UA you can. But you cannot list for the non-stop MUC-JFK on LH metal.

9. RRK

RRK Silver Member

Status Points:
    Had the same confusing issue with the 1 K desk agent. Booked for September LGA - ORD - HKG - BKK ( last leg on Thai ) all First Class, LGA - ORD and on my return ORD - LGA in coach since Saver Award was not available in F/C on the feeder. Was told that waitlisting is not allowed since I am using Thai on my last leg from HKG to BKK and on my return BKK to HKG.

I really have no clue why this policy is in place and it makes no sense. I was told to call back over time and check
    online or with the agent, if the Saver Award will become available on LGA - ORD, ORD - LGA and I can have that segment rebooked in F/C, but only if it becomes available. so NO WAITLIST , period ! :(

10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    This is not at all accurate. Call back and get another agent. It can absolutely be done.

11. xopping

xopping Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have the similar case. My trip is with UA and CA. All segments are I/O except for the last segment ord-lga. It is an UA mental.

12. xopping

xopping Silver Member

Status Points:
    From the policy on their website, I think we should be able to waitlist. Will call it again. Such a long wait on phone!