International Reservation (Europcar) / Germany/Austria

Discussion in 'National | Emerald Club' started by webdes03, Jun 11, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just thought I'd share my recent booking experience with National for an international reservation. I'm National Executive, and called to ask about a 3 week reservation picking up in TXL and returning in VIE (we're road-tripping across Germany and Austria). Was quoted a price for a compact automatic.

Our dates changed, and I tried to call National to change the date, got sent to India (agent didn't know what they were doing)-hung up out of fear they'd accidentally cancel the whole reservation. A week later tried to call again, again sent to India. Reached out to National on Twitter and email; they replied with a direct number to the St. Louis res office, who answered the phone, then transferred me to India.

Frustrated, I went to the Europcar website myself and plugged in the dates. Automatic car class higher than the compact auto we had reserved through National was several hundred Euros cheaper than what National had quoted us.

Given that you don't earn points/status credit on Europcar rentals, having National play middle man was just costing me time and money. Cancelled the National reservation and booked directly with Europcar. Just a tip out there for anyone else that might encounter this; don't assume you're getting a good deal through National just because you're Executive or it's National hooking you up with Europcar.

MX and uggboy like this.
  2. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Lessons to learned here:

1) Join the National Emerald club and do all your booking on-line, its been about 5 years since I last had to call them on the phone.
    that said it would stand to reason that their rates could/would be often higher in places they don't have actual franchises.
    2) Learn to drive a stick shift, rental of automatics are very expensive in Europe:).
    3) Whereas Europecar used to be quite competitive I found their rates across the board are now actually higher than Avis, Hertz or Sixt.
    4) If you can handle a prepaid it might be cheaper to use Auto-Europe.

3. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm Emerald Executive, but there was some issue with the contract code on my account not supporting International. I think there was a lingering reference in my account from way back when I joined using an employer program. This prevented my booking this trip on the phone, and it's the first non-US/Canada rental I've done with National.