International Lounges

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Travel2Food, Feb 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    Based on some recent experiences, I thought it might be useful for there to be info here on recent experiences using lounges at non-US locations. To kick it off, here are some of my recent experiences:

MXP: BA Galleries lounge, access through shopping concourse after security and passport control. WiFi available, ask for card at desk, must present passport. Windows look down on check-in area, no view of planes or runway. Passabe continental breakfast offering. Limited power outlets for recharging electronics. Airport/lounge does not promptly update departure info; AA status emails were more up to date.

CDG: Admirals Club in satellite gate area. Acceptable breakfast. WiFi available. Crowded. Nicer surroundings than BA lounge at MXP. Helpful staff.

MAD: IB Sala Velazquez. Flying w/non-status passenger in J, EXP in Y. Wanted EXP card for EXP, J boarding pass fine for that pax. Decent continental breakfast, spacious. Good view of ramp and runway. Close to AA boarding gate.

2. Lalala
    Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would love the AC at CDG more if my last two flights did not require going through the food court to get between the two. I don't think their food offerings are so hot, but they do have cereal and that is good for me. I can't remember what they serve in the afternoon for the 2:15 flight, but I hope its not pastries.

I totally skipped the BCN lounge experience this past trip. I hope to report back soon.

3. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    BA lounge, LHR T-3. Walk through the shopping area, then there is good signage directing you to the various lounges. Taking the 9:15 to MIA, so there at breakfast time. Bacon sandwiches were decent, the rest of the food was pretty ordinary. Excellent champagne bar. Moderately good cappucino machine. Let us in with EXP boarding pass, didn't ask for the card.

4. noam
    Original Member

noam Silver Member

Status Points:
    NRT:

JAL First lounge is the nicest lounge overall. They have masseuses you can schedule as well as massage chairs. I liked their food selection the most of all Oneworld lounges. They sometimes open up a second level, which in my experience has been nice and quiet. They also have lockers you can lock, which is nice if you want to walk around the terminal without your luggage. The highest end showers, but I like the QF showers more because they balance the finish with more room. Free wireless.

JAL Business lounge: Never been in it.

AA: Another nice large lounge. It is pretty busy, so I don't tend to use it as much. Their food selection has rarely been that interesting, but they do offer some small sandwiches. Good showers. Free wireless.

QF: I like the QF lounge quite a bit. It isn't that large, but it also is not that busy. They also have the nicest showers IMHO. Not as good a food selection as JAL. Free wireless.

CX: Not worth going to IMHO. Too small for the number of people, and no significant amenities. No showers and in fact, the restrooms are not in the lounge. I didn't stay around long enough to ask about the wireless.

aabrock likes this.
  5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I'm missing a few ACs in my travel, but from what I've seen the NRT AC is the best in the system. I like the lay out, the food is decent and the staff is unfailingly polite. My favorite AA stop when traveling.

That being said, I'd take the JAL First lounge any day. That beef curry is slap your momma good.

anabolism, JY1024 and TheBeerHunter like this.
  6. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is there any restriction on who can schedule the masseuses? BA at LHR restrict it to those flying BA metal longhaul in F or J. Any similar restrictions by JL or can anybody schedule who can get into the F lounge? Is it difficult to get a place in the schedule or is there reasonable capacity?

7. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had read this before ever going there, and kept wondering why this stuff warranted so many comments from people. Then, I went to the JAL F lounge. Wow, was that some unctuous, luscious brown curry goodness! [​IMG]

8. noam
    Original Member

noam Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can't say for sure. There was no indication on the signs and they didn't ask me anything when I asked them about availability, but I haven't actually used it. I only saw it my last time through NRT and I decided to do a quick trip into Tokyo to have sushi in Tsukiji instead. :)

9. Lalala
    Original Member

Lalala Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think the masseuses are for long haul F pax. They aren't the best massages in the world, I would go for the facial myself.

10. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    The second level of JAL F lounge is now closed after they open a second F lounge at the satellite building

11. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was in there two weeks and got some photos, though the bright lighting in there doesn't work well with my camera. Wi-fi worked fine. Will just post two of them below of the breakfast that comes out at 0900. Rest linked HERE.

Also had a chance to visit the lounge at the HJK gates for my Lisbon flight. Over on that side internet is wired and they will hold your boarding pass for an ethernet cable. There's a long bar-type counter with power sockets and ethernet jacks.

[​IMG][​IMG]

JDiver, aabrock and Chimpy like this.
  12. stuartfla
    Original Member

stuartfla Silver Member

Status Points:
    QF First Lounge Sydney never fails to impress me, was there last month and once again got one of the private office like spaces that also has a sofa and coffee table-delivery of ordered food, beverage, newspapers prompt and the lounge has never seemed crowded, always able to score a massage by calling ahead same day - could go on - gallery-105-image-865.jpg
    QF Sydney First Class Private Lounge Spaces

I have to admit this is one of the lounges that I plan some extra time for :)

13. KimK
    Original Member

KimK Silver Member

Status Points:
    Now that is my kind of lounge - let me know if you ever need company ;)

14. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree. This is probably my favorite lounge out there (though I haven't yet visited the lhr t5 Concorde room or the SIN private room). Whenever possible, I try to arrive at least two hours early to spend extra time here.

If you are flying in F, the lounge can send a bellman curbside (kerbside) to meet you and handle your luggage. They don't always advertise this but if you call QF the day prior to departure, they are happy to do it.

15. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    JAL Business Lounge (Sakura Lounge) at Narita is better than Haneda IMO. You get to eat the curry in both though, and they have beer on tap with those funky self-serve machines that level off the glass to ensure optimum pour...

16. JY1024
    Original Member

JY1024 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't believe there are any restrictions. I think it's open to anybody who has access to the lounge; you just have to get on the list. I was able to get a 15-min massage after my shower when I was just a PLT in the NRT JL J lounge. (And when I told them I didn't mind pressure and some deep muscle work, they weren't kidding around! I was almost writhing in pain, but boy did it hurt so good! :p)

17. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    I actually like the HND (international) Sakura lounge better than the NRT one mainly because of the more private seating. Although you only have massage chair and inferior shower, the seating alone makes up for it

18. roslyn

roslyn Active Member

Status Points:
    when I first laid eyes on the SYD QF F lounge didnt want to leave to get on the aircraft !
    the hydrating facial is wonderful at the spa the choice of Frech champagne impresses and the food is outstanding. I enjoy the food much more than on the aircraft.
    but I think I enjoy the DXB EK F lounge equally..
    I like the menu in the dining room, I like the way you can book your haricut( for Mr) or massage weeks before
    I enjoy the long couches for a quick nap if needed and the reading material is great.
    and I like the fact that the walk to the A380 is very short!

kiwi likes this.
  19. I was in the JAL Business lounge...love the on-tap self serve beer dispensers!

20. planecrashlaw
    Original Member

planecrashlaw Silver Member

Status Points:
    Heathrow Lounges During Mileage Run?

Arriving on 89 at 12:00 and back on 91 at 16:30 this Sunday in J as an EXP. So I have 3.5 hours to shower/eat/drink.

Have done CX (Fair) and the BA F (Good) in Terminal 3. Have not been in the AC in a while (OK to Good) or Flagship (nothing special before, ? now) since the rehab. Have never been to the AA Arrivals landside, but hear (on FT) that they have the best showers. But I love the BA F in Terminal 5.

I think that I will have time to get over to Terminal 5 and back to 3. Or could go land side to the Arrivals Lounge and back to the Terminal 3 lounges. Or just stay in 3. I'm wondering if anyone has been in the same situation and/or seeking advice in general. And no..I did not do a search...[​IMG]

21. stuartfla
    Original Member

stuartfla Silver Member

Status Points:
    BA F is the best IMO in T3 and they have showers in the Elemis Spa that you can use. I do you use the AA Arrivals lounge and the showers are OK but I would not call them the best. The CX First lounge has some made to order noodles and dumplings in the afternoon and is brighter and nicer then their business lounge.

You technically will not be able to get into T5 unless you had a flight departing from T5 and I do not believe you can use the BA arrivals lounge. (You could as an OW Emerald if you arrived on a BA operated flight) I have heard reports of MR folks getting into T5 via flight connections if the security screener does not check your departing flight and airline that carefully. Have a good trip.

TrojanIce likes this.
  22. JAbrams72
    Original Member

JAbrams72 Gold Member

Status Points:
    LHR T3--I agree that the BA lounge is the best, although I do like the new CX lounge--it's a nice space with windows, that's much larger than before. There's buffet food on the J side and service (small noodle bar) on the F side. Breakfast options are mostly British, although there's congee in both J and F

magic111 and TrojanIce like this.
  23. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you aren't flying out of T-5, I don't think you can get into it.

24. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    We were there later in the day. Very good gazpacho.

TrojanIce likes this.
  25. stuartfla
    Original Member

stuartfla Silver Member

Status Points:
    As far as staying in T3 you will still need to go through flight connections and security or as you said you could go through immigration and visit the AArrivals lounge and then back through fast track security. I have never connected from a T3 arriving flight to a departing T3 flight so not sure what you would face time wise - going landside and being able to use fast track security could possibly be faster?

TrojanIce likes this.