International Flight Question

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by thiniel2535, Feb 25, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. thiniel2535

thiniel2535 New Member

Status Points:
    Hi guys!long time lurker here.i have a question.i need to fly from LAX to Manila philippines on april 26 with a return flight on May 16.

1. what credit card should i open to maximize on getting miles from my ticket purchase and flight miles?
    2. do booking in orbitz, kayak or other such sites earn me miles coz i heard some doesnt qualify for earning miles?
    3. the cheapest ticket that i found is thru orbitz cathay pacific 974$.do you know any other tickets that is cheaper within april departure for a 3wk stay in the philippines?

thanks guys!;)

NYBanker likes this.
  2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi. Welcome to MP.

Some carriers' cards offer bonus points for buying tickets on their own branded card. I don't know of one specific to CX offered in the US that has this feature, however.

You might consider the Chase Sapphire card (https://creditcards.chase.com/sapphire/) which offers 2.14 points per dollar spent on travel (tickets, hotels, etc, as well as dining), and no foreign transaction fees. They currently have a 50k point sign up bonus, too.

Whether you earn miles depends more on your booking class than your channel of purchase. If there is no difference in fare, I always try to buy from the operating carrier directly. This reduces one variable from the equation...one less potential for error...and one less guy involved if there is a controversy in the future.

If you care about points on American Airlines (a partner of Cathay), make sure to check the booking class...as not all CX paid classes earn full miles (or in some cases, no miles) on AA. Check here.... http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/earnMiles/travel/airlines/cathayPacific.jsp

Sub $1000 to the Philippines sounds pretty good.

3. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP thiniel2535!

Make sure you compare value for your ticket purchase. If I can save a significant amount on the ticket purchase, I will forgo any points / miles accumulation. It all depends how you value and use the miles / points you acquire.
    In addition you may be able to get miles credited to your account post-purchase by inquiring with customer service and providing you FF number.

4. thiniel2535

thiniel2535 New Member

Status Points:
    i currently have about 50k AA miles, i also have 50k delta but i dont know how much i need for a roundtrip but i guess what i have is not enough so i settled with just making the most of my spend to earn some miles.

so sapphire is really the best that i could get right now?i was planning on waiting a bit for a better offer but im afraid that my high spend this coming months (ring,tickets,wedding) would go to waste.

5. thiniel2535

thiniel2535 New Member

Status Points:
    i decided to go and will apply for a chase sapphire preferred and what i just want is to maximize in earning miles for my trip.

im now trying to book for my flight which depart around APRIL 17 and returns MAY 8(flexible near those days). my problem is as i said im trying to maximize earning miles on AA but im not very experienced in getting the ticket/fare class that earns miles.

1. Do you guys have a go to website to find flight classes which earns miles?
    2. or better yet can you do a trial book for me and like send me a link?

basically ive been looking on cathay pacific flights which travels to phillipines with 1 stop but all i find are flight that are qualified for asia miles none for AA miles. Thanks

6. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    here is answer to your question 1: http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/earnMiles/travel/airlines/main.jsp (click on what airline, to see mileage earning fare classes)

as for your second question, I'm a fan of teach a man to fish, so now that you know 1, you can find 2.

Welcome to Milepoint!!