International Date Line Glitch

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by Weatherboy, Aug 29, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had a multi-night consecutive stay starting in Tokyo and ending in Hawaii. According to the clock, I checked-out of Tokyo after I checked into Hawaii and HHonors wants me to chose which "valid stay" I should pick for HHonors credit.

I'm trying to explain to them how the International Date Line and air travel works, but they're not grasping the concept.

Surely I'm not the 1st person to stay on both sides of the Date Line consecutively.

zpaul, SomeDay and WilliamQ like this.
  2. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like you may have had an inexperienced new CS representative. Have you tried the "thank them, hang up and call back later" (or even try again via email if needed to see if someone else replies) in the hope of finally getting to someone who understands the theory of lose a day/gain a day when traveling over the IDL?

Good luck, there's no reason why you shouldn't get credit for both stays.

zpaul, SomeDay, Thomask and 1 other person like this.
  3. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    agreed, you don't control time difference :p

zpaul and blackjack-21 like this.
  4. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wonder if the rep you talked with knows what GMT means....

<lol>

Bob H

zpaul and ACMM like this.
  5. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is an IT and staff training issue. An email should easily clear that up.

In a similar context, Worldmate screws up when my connecting flights crosses time lines but TripIt is intelligent enough to factor in the different time zones and list the flights in correct sequence.

zpaul, SomeDay and Weatherboy like this.
  6. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    true, a more knowlegable CS staff should be able to rectify this without too much delay

zpaul likes this.
  7. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Giveme Marmite on Toast?

zpaul likes this.
  8. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    @Weatherboy, was your problem resolved?

The "similar" issue I have with Worldmate vs Tripit could be seen in the screen captures below.

upload_2014-9-1_3-36-54.png upload_2014-9-1_3-37-2.png

zpaul and SomeDay like this.
  9. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, followed up with another email to them and they fixed the issue.

zpaul, SomeDay, ACMM and 2 others like this.
  10. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great. Did they offer any "goodies" for the inconvenience even though it is just a minor one. :)

zpaul and SomeDay like this.
  11. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Glad it finally worked out for you, although it shouldn't have had to take more then one simple phone call or email to get your points credited, with no additional hassle. Perhaps Hilton should give their new hires a test of world geography and time zones before putting them on the front lines.

zpaul, SomeDay and WilliamQ like this.
  12. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    In all honesty, the folks on the phones are not going to have a breadth of knowledge. Hey I am happy if they understand the program I am asking questions about! :)

zpaul, SomeDay, IDGflygirl and 2 others like this.
  13. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    People does become over reliant on technology sometimes. When the system says error, one needs to resist the urge to just parrot what the system says and look at the situation case by case.

System wise, according to WorldMate's IT team, I am supposed to fly from Sin to NRT and then somehow get to MSP to take the flight MSP to SFO before doubling back to NRT and catch the NRT to MSP flight. It just failed to take the different time zones into consideration.

When I forward the same confirmation email to TripIt, it knows that I am travelling from SIN-NRT-MSP-SFO.

New hires usually are less savy and the reliance to the corporate system is sacred. Older hires might have come across these IT glitches and knows how to proceed. :)

zpaul, SomeDay and blackjack-21 like this.
  14. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    My experience varies. And I can also tell you stories about some email responses that suffer from the same lack of knowledge or was just careless in responding. Remember the recent template reply from UA where the blanks were not filled properly :(

zpaul, SomeDay and ACMM like this.
  15. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Technology, with all it's wonders and marvels, has more and more taken away people's ability to reason and think for themselves, particularly when faced with problems or unusual situations that aren't preprogrammed into their computers or gadgets. Three from different airline situations: The "Miracle on the Hudson", where Capt. Sully had to actually "fly" his A320 to a safe water landing without any engines after a bird strike, or the "Gimli Glider", where an experienced pilot landed a crippled new B767 that had run out of fuel, safely at a small airstrip, versus the Asiana flight at SFO, where a pilot and other crew who had flown other aircraft types into the airport but had not much time on the B777, relied too much on their instruments, made a bad landing in good weather, and caused many injuries and several losses of life.

In the OP's case, where someone just looked at their computer and said "Oh, you can't do that", just because they couldn't accept his explanation about crossing the IDL, and their computer wasn't set up to accept the correct information in this example, technology wins for the company until someone with some knowledge of the IDL then accepts and gives the OP the credits he deserves.

Technology shouldn't triumph over the human brain, experience, and some common sense, when needed.

zpaul, estnet, SomeDay and 1 other person like this.
  16. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nope, they just fixed it. I didn't expect much beyond that.

17. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    It would have been a great service recovery if they had offered something (anything) but I too would have likely rolled with it when they do not.

zpaul likes this.
  18. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    i think it's good enough that they fixed it efficiently, offering something extra would be nice, but if it would be a real bonus, the bar i feel for customer service staff would be efficiency and level of service, knowledge of their membership programme and benefits, vs geography and time zones, i could think of several airline and hotel programme customer service who would fall short on the customer service response bit, so the response by Hilton Honors in this case sounds ok to me:)

zpaul likes this.