International data via DOODAD

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by viguera, Apr 4, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just saw this today, not sure that the rates are anything out of this world but it's an interesting concept.

You basically sign up and they send you a SIM card. You can then load your account with data, set limits, etc. and just pop your SIM into your smartphone while you're on the road.

https://www.getadoodad.com/

Works in 54 countries (so far) and the "doo-data" expires a year after you buy it, so you don't have to worry about leftover data if you purchase too much and don't travel very frequently.

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Rates look reasonable, though I still think a local SIM is a better deal in most of those countries if you're a heavy user.

jbcarioca and viguera like this.
  3. jaw_24
    Original Member

jaw_24 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, these rates can really add up if you use something data intensive, like VOIP (as advertised) or with push data.

jbcarioca and viguera like this.
  4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the feature that sounds appealing is that you can set limits on daily use, so if you go this route you can always say that you only want to use a few MB a day, and don't have to worry about overages or eating up all your prepaid data in one day because you forgot to close Google Maps or something. :)

jbcarioca and Wandering Aramean like this.
  5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    The value would be highest to people who travel widely and unpredictably I think. Their coverage is very spotty for such people. Almost nothing in Southeast Asia, South America and Africa. Europe wide roaming is available at much cheaper rates, as is all of Asia that they include. Therefore I conclude that it is a catchy name for a ripoff product with limited utility for frequent flyers.

I look at every one of those because i'm tired of carrying around what is now eleven sims. Luckily they're nanos so they weigh nothing.

MX and viguera like this.
  6. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think this is perfect for popping in a tablet if you don't have a smart phone.

7. jonk
    Original Member

jonk Silver Member

Status Points:
    for those looking for global data: as an aside (i don't want to go too far off-topic), i got this prepaid card (Hala) when i was in doha a couple months ago: http://www.ooredoo.qa/en/qp (used to be qtel, but they rebranded). for a decent selection of countries, it's $27ish (QR100) for 1GB of data and 100 minutes of calling that expire in a week. a pretty good deal that saves you the hassle of getting a local SIM. i haven't done it completely yet, but i've gotten to the final step in reloading value online and it seems like it will take my american credit cards. it may be worth looking into if you ever pass through doha.

i'm just wondering how long they will let me keep my card active without making calls in qatar. i have several trips i'm planning to use it on this year.

EDIT: i used it when i was in dubai after my stay in doha -- worked very well