International connection at PEK

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by German Expat, May 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. German Expat
    Original Member

German Expat Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am looking to book a flight in July DEN -> HKG and then back PEK -> DEN. At the moment UA has pretty good Z fares into PEK and they do fly the 747 during July. Therefore I am looking into just doing DEN -> PEK -> DEN and adding the PEK -> HKG separate on Air China.

I know you can do an international trasfer at PEK airport in T3 (did never do it yet but saw the signs and read some information about it).

I land at 2:20pm on July 3rd. Now the problem is that UA can only book me on CA117 leaving 5:30pm and can not put me on the 4:30pm CA 6517 operated by Dragon Air flight. I did call and they do interline luggage. I could book the 5:30pm separate via e.g. ctrip but I am not sure if Air China would accommodate me if my inbound is late. Also not sure what would happen to my checked luggage.

Would you recommend just waiting the additional hour and getting the worse plane (320 rather then 330) and book all via UA so I am protected or just go with the earlier Dragon Air flight ?

2. Jslo
    Original Member

Jslo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I typically only book the UA portion on UA. I book Air China separately. But that's just what I typically do, and I don't usually check luggage.

For an hour different, and considering East to West flight (usually has headwind), and for checking luggage...I'd say the all UA setup is worth the hour. Just my opinion.

RichardInSF likes this.
  3. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    In addition, PEK->HKG isn't that long a flight, so should the difference in equipment really matter for that distance? PEK is a huge airport, I'd think it's better to have a little extra time.