International Award Itinerary Question

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by ducster, Mar 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    First post here! I'm hoping to get some insight from the more experienced.

I booked an award that I recently changed to be as follows:

LAX-SEA-FRA-BCN in UA F and LH F/C. Stopover in BCN for a week, then:
    BCN-FRA-TLV in LH C/F (Destination).
    Return:
    TLV-FRA-DEN-LAX in LH F, UA F.

I had dictated to the agent these flights, and she put me on hold to make the change. When she came back, she told me that she had had to get a supervisor to approve the change because it wasn't a legal routing. She mentioned something about it being a Circle Routing. The itinerary is confirmed, so I'm not worried about it, except she told me that I wouldn't be able to change it again. Can someone explain to me what this means? Thanks!

Chimpy and jbcarioca like this.
  2. Geo
    Original Member

Geo Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is likely because BCN is not on a valid routing to TLV from LAX. You are double hitting FRA. LAX-SEA-FRA-TLV would be valid through to destination but a side trip to BCN is just that, not a stopover, but a side trip. While you are allowed stopovers, they have to be stopovers on a valid through route.

ducster and jbcarioca like this.
  3. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Actually the only problem here is transiting Frankfurt twice in the same direction. Your destination is Tel Aviv, and it takes you two trips through Frankfurt before you get there.

If you changed to BCN-MUC-TLV it should be legal as long as you remain within the "maximum permitted mileage + 15%" for LAX-TLV (which is 10,695 -- and you'd be safely beneath that).

Although you could certainly have some frustrations making changes even then if the agent noted your record about an illegal routing and it wasn't clear what was illegal about it, agents aren't always either fully up on the rules or willing to stick their neck out when they think something is ok and another agent has said that it isn't.

ducster, Golfingboy and jbcarioca like this.
  4. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just did a dummy booking using multiple destinations for SEA-BCN, BCN-TLV, and TLV-SEA and the search engine allowed me to select flights for 140K miles in Y with EasyPass...

I don't think Saver Pass awards should be any different... I am not that knowledgeable about CO's award booking rules since I am still relatively new here, so I will let the masterminds help you out here when they wake up :p

ETA: Theres gleff!

BTW, OP, you are using UA miles or CO miles? With CO miles, there are no MPM restrictions, so if that is creating issues for you with UA, transfer them over to CO and book it with CO...

P.S. I am still getting used to the fact that it is now UA/CO in one forum :confused:

ducster and jbcarioca like this.
  5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    That does make it easier to make recommendations such as the oen you just did. I wonder when the rules will be all harmonized. I do hope they wait for a long time.

Chimpy likes this.
  6. gpaya
    Original Member

gpaya Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is hit or miss - I'm traveling TLV-ZRH-CDG (stop)-ZRH-YUL-LGA on the return leg of the trip. Since there are no direct flights available, the double transit may not be a problem (not specified in CO's routing award rules).

You can transit at the following points for TLV: VIE/FRA/MUC/BRU/WAW/BCN but only MUC/FRA/ZRH offer heavy equipment to TLV.

7. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ah, this makes sense now- I hadn't thought about it as transiting twice in the same direction.

I'm using CO miles, so it's not an issue. I did get this as a SaverPass, using 145K miles. I also haven't gotten used to this being UA/CO, so I forgot to mention it.

Yeah, that's why I checked here- I never know what I'm getting with phone agents and figured that the gang here would be a lot more consistent.

Thanks everyone!

Chimpy likes this.
  8. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    OK, I just tried to change this, preserving the outbound, but making the return:

LAX-SEA-FRA-BCN in UA F and LH F/C. (destination)
    Return:
    BCN-FRA-IAD-EWR in LHC/ F, UA Y (stopover)
    EWR-SFO in UA F.

After 1/2 hour on the phone, I was told that this would be 2 stopovers, thus a circle trip, so an extra 70K miles needed. I know I'm thick, but I can't figure out why this is 2 stopovers, not 1. Help, please!

9. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Unless there's also a > 24 hour connection in there, it's not.

10. gpaya
    Original Member

gpaya Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's not, but there is a double open Jaw and a stopover, which is not allowed.

11. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the response. I found myself in this surreal conversation in which the agent was telling me that I had 2 stopovers, the first in BCN, and the second in EWR. I kept explaining to her that BCN was my destination city, and she kept saying that since I would be there >24 hours, it was a stop. I should have followed the advice of Hang up and call back until you get someone who can help you.

Oops, I typed that when late. The return is actually EWR-LAX, so that would eliminate that problem. BTW, where is the first open jaw?

12. gpaya
    Original Member

gpaya Gold Member

Status Points:
    My mistake - misread your outbound leg.

13. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for all the help- I managed to change the flights to what I wanted.

14. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    When you switched the destination from TLV to BCN that might have confused them as TLV and BCN are not in the same zone and the overall award might not have updated. Just one possibility as to why it choked.