International 777 upgrade completion?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by unavaca, Mar 20, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm looking to do LAX-NRT towards the end of the year. It's serviced exclusively with 772s. Will all of the 777's be done with retrofit by December? As in, if I book on a 772, am I guaranteed to have lie-flat? :)

Thanks.

2. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. lhrsfo
    Original Member

lhrsfo Silver Member

Status Points:
    A longer answer is that 14 of the 46 planes remain unconverted as of today. Each plane seems to take about 6 weeks to convert: sometimes they do two at a time, sometimes one. So, if they try, they could complete the lot in 7 months, if not it will be another year or so. Who knows? Only God and Smi/J.

In terms of calculating your odds, bear in mind that, when the last one goes into conversion, it won't have been completed but you cannot, by definition, get the old configuration any more. Secondly, it is the Extended Range planes that seem to be lagging in the process. However, for trips next fall the odds are looking pretty good, but not 100%.

4. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe UA announced that the conversion would be completed in 2012. I also understand they are about 70% done, so your chances are pretty good

5. stephenbgarvan

stephenbgarvan Silver Member

Status Points:
    they had
    They had previously announced that all of that would be done in 2009 !!!

6. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Touche

I don't know why they stopped. Merger? Preserve cash? Ran into problems with IFE? I think it had something to do with wanting to do coach at the same time.

7. seaflyguy
    Original Member

seaflyguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Um, thinking how to ask this politely, could you ratchet back the signature a bit?

rggale, WilCo, unavaca and 3 others like this.
  8. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I feel like UA has been doing this cabin upgrade for a decade. I'll be shocked when it's finally complete.

9. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    By the time they're d:eek:ne they'll be ready to start the next cycle.

10. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have LHR-LAX in May on a 777 ... the seat map shows that it'll likely be new F. Any chance that it doesn't hold?

11. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    While there is always the possibility that it could be switched to an old configuration 777, the odds are highly unlikely. There are only 14 777s left with the old config. Odds are in your favor that it will stick, but no guarantees.

12. LAXtraveler
    Original Member

LAXtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    What about 777s that are currently scheduled with the old config - what's the likelihood they will get switched out for the new config?

13. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depends on how fast AMECO [I think that is the contractor doing those in PEK] and the SFO maintenance base processes the remaining 777s. I'll give it to the end of the year before it is all done.

They have started the conversion for the ghetto birds and the 764s are being converted, while the PMCO fleet is getting E+ along with the Qs getting the F cabin with E+. Not to mention the ongoing paint work and routine heavy checks.

That is a lot of planes being pulled out of service concurrently, so it will take some time to complete all of the conversions.

14. DCA1K

DCA1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just checking this site: http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php/Interior_Conversions_(UA) to see what the odds are that my August 23rd IAD - FRA will be on a converted 777. It seems lately that UA916 is mostly operated tATL in an unconverted bird. It also looks like there are no 777s in conversion right now, only 763s and 764s.

I sure wish they would finish the international fleet, if only for consistency or product. Although I know the domestic widebodies are in desperate need...

JLSocks likes this.
  15. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    It seems to me, the team that led the IPTE project before the merger did not really do a great job of scheduling the conversions. It seems to take place in bursts where they would convert several planes then nothing happens for a period of time. CO, OTOH, did a better job in that aspect even if that meant waiting a little longer to start on the conversions, but once it starts it keeps going until it is all done.

16. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are some routes where you will be guaranteed to get the new config, only because the flight is so long.

IAD-DXB-DOH
    IAD-BAH-KWI

come to mind. As I understand it, these birds have a crew rest under business class, in the cargo hold

17. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:

Not really, most of UA's long haul flights are on the XI/XJ variant and they all have not been converted yet...

Today... XI planes will fly:

LAX-LHR
    KWI-IAD
    SEA-NRT
    ORD-GRU
    IAD-PEK
    PEK-ORD
    NRT-SFO
    LAX-NRT
    SFO-NRT
    ORD-PEK

You can see it is all mostly 5,000+ miler trips. Tomorrow ship 206 will fly IAD-DXB with the old C seats.

18. lhrsfo
    Original Member

lhrsfo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Currently the West Coast TATL routes are showing about 2/3 new configuration and 1/3 old. Those are your odds - the seat map a week out is not relevant - it's switched regularly.

19. DCA1K

DCA1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does it seem like the conversions of 777s has slowed lately? It looks like only one is conversion at HKG (and has been since 5/7--isn't that longer than it used to take?) at the present.

20. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    The process normally takes up to 6 weeks... It has been four weeks since N204UA went in for conversions.

Whoever planned the sUA 777s conversions did a terrible job of planning it IMO. The 777 conversions is filled with delays and now they are expecting it to be complete by mid-2013.

21. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've flown the new 772 several times.

Business class is like a slave ship

2-4-2

This is honestly suited for coach, not business. In fact the width of the seat is narrow, almost like a coach seat. The only saving grace is that the seat goes fully flat.

I honestly prefer the PMCO 772

There are certain routes that almost always get the new cabin, due to its distance and range. This would IAD-DXB-DOH / IAD-KWI-BAH / IAD-NRT / LAX-PVG

There's a crew rest bunk under the plance between south of business class, between business class and coach.

JLSocks likes this.
  22. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    UA are still flying the old config 777 LHR-SFO! Crazy if you ask me but ok.

Actually my LHR-SFO flight later this week is still showing the old config seat map but United Cargo says it's been switched to the new config...so I'm waiting for the seat map to update so I can grab a better seat. However, the second LHR-SFO departure has changed from a new config to an old config according to United Cargo.

United Cargo is your friend for now...

-RM

23. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA still flies the XJ on all long haul routes, so NO route is "safe" from being stuck in the old configuration. The XJs were/are UA's backbone for flights over 5000 miles.

The XJ birds is sUA's dedicated long long haul birds and none of them have been converted. In other words, expect to seem them on East Coast to Asia, DXB/DOH routes, KWI/BAH routes, and west coast to Europe...

If you have all of the tail # for the XJ birds, go to flightaware.com and see for yourself.

Some people, especially those on TOBB, is falling under a false pretense that certain long haul routes are being dedicated with aircraft that has the IPTE configuration, which is absolutely false.

Every route in the UA system is routinely at risk of being stuck with the old configuration.

24. jerryhung

jerryhung Silver Member

Status Points:
    :(

I have 4 UA 777 flight segments in Sep 2012
    so far the Seat Map (I know they may change, but it's the only info I have)
    SFO-NRT old config 2-5-2
    NRT-TPE old config

TPE-NRT old config
    NRT-IAD new config 3-3-3 (confirms the reply above)