Internal OZ flight change. $63 more in fees!?!?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by mileagejunqe, May 12, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. mileagejunqe

mileagejunqe Silver Member

Status Points:
    I booked a mileage flight a few months ago from Chicago to Australia with some internal OZ flights. When I booked the flights, I was unable to get a non-stop from Perth to Darwin. Had to do a stopover in Alice Springs. I just noticed the nonstop is now available using miles. I called up to change the flight from the one stop to the nonstop. You would think the flight couldn't cost me any more $$. Wrong. I was quoted an extra $63/ticket in fees. They repriced out the entire itinerary. Apparently the taxes/fees had gone up. Bummer.

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Who is "they"? Carrier and FF program for miles? AFAIK OZ does not fly from Perth to Darwin, either nonstop or through Alice Springs. However, $63 in fees to take the nonstop might not be much above minimum wage for your time.

3. mileagejunqe

mileagejunqe Silver Member

Status Points:
    Flights were all booked with AA miles. Internal flights were on QA. I also happened to price out the itinerary, months ago, with BA miles. The same routing using BA miles, not involving any European flights, was about $600 more using BA miles than AA miles. This was pre-Avios. I think BA also required a few more miles but obviously, now, with Avios, it's totally different.